PDA

View Full Version : Need Hull Cleaner, For White Chaulky stuff?

DBrown2
04-26-2010, 11:20 AM
The new to me boat, was always dry docked, so there was some marks from the forklift, which I was able to get off with some 49 Meguires I had. I started hand washing and noticed there is a build up of White Chaulky stuff..

So I sprayed some Hull Clearner from Wally on it, let it sit, and tried tire brush on it, it cut some of it but by no means all... So then it was Scotch Brite Pad and the hull cleaner, and it works but man it takes a lot out of you.

Next I was going to use, Toilet Bowl cleaner... Anyone else have everyday product they would suggest. Boat Supplies in my area are not to be found, and I dont want to drive 2 hours or order some 50 Buck product online.

Suggestions??

DBrown2
04-26-2010, 11:05 PM
Hello anyone home...

sand2snow22
04-27-2010, 12:14 AM
Need to see pics.....

Thrall
04-27-2010, 08:57 AM
If it's only a buildup of lake scuz, toilet bowl cleaner will wipe it out easily. Sounds like you might be trying to remove oxidation. If so, get a rotary buffer and some rubbing compound and polishing compound and go to town.

Fasteddie
04-27-2010, 02:10 PM
You may want to try a producd from this company http://www.poliglow-int.com/. They have a product called PoliPrep that you dilute spray on and work in with a scrubbing pad. The white chalky oxidation will wash away. (the water will look like milk).
I used this product on very oxidized 1963 CorrectCraft and followed it with the PoliGlow finish. The results were excellent and I have used the cleaner on my MasterCraft trailer and hull bottom.
I think it costs about $16 a bottle but in a concentrated formula.

DBrown2
04-27-2010, 10:01 PM
Yep my guess was heavy oxidation... Its coming off with the Hull cleaner I just spray on, let it soak, then go to scrubbing... Was using a towel, but moved on to a scotchpad... Which is working but man my forearms are killing me...

Just was hoping for a spray, soak, light scrub or pressure wash and its off... Then go to waxing the bottom.

Fasteddie, the stuff I am using it does come off looking milky

Only Buffer I got is a car buffer,

Thanks guys,

Thrall
04-28-2010, 10:00 AM
A Scotchbrite pad is going to leave small scratches. May not see them on the bottom of a white boat, but they're there. I'd go for a stiff scrub brush first.

DBrown2
04-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Good point, I noticed that this was the case... yesterday, good thing I was on the very bottom of boat... Back to using a stiff brush... I am on day 3 and about 6 hours of work...

DBrown2
05-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Well bought some different Hull Cleaner, at Academy... and man its strong, I know more sprayed it, and I started choaking so I grabbed a mask. After letting set for 3-5 minutes, using a hard bristle brush knocks off the bulk, but one side is just not giving in that easy.

Sometimes I wonder why people let stuff like this happen to nice stuff... Just glad the interior has all come clean, and looking nice.