PDA

View Full Version : Water in Transmission

master.mike
04-26-2010, 12:38 AM
Well I have been out a few times this season. First sign of water it wasn't too much so I replaced the transmission cooler. It was the original and from looking online it made since. I took it to the local master craft shop and they weren't able to test the old one so I just bought a new one. However After going out a time or two, as I slowly fill with water, I notice there is an oil substance in the water. Where else could tran fluid be leaking? I am thinking seals? How can I test to be sure before I go creating a weekend project. Oil is fine, no water contamination and level hasn't changed since replacing the oil at the start of season. Also boat temp seems to run a nice 160f +/- 10 depending on idle or lake.

76S&S
04-26-2010, 08:58 AM
What boat/trans do you have?

Moxam
04-26-2010, 09:17 AM
Our oil gets water in as well. I changed a couple of seals last year and the cooler and I still get water in it?

76S&S
04-26-2010, 05:37 PM
what boat do you guys have? I had water in the trans, and it was the lower transmission seal.

Boat 2002 x-star

JUST-IN-TIME
04-27-2010, 02:43 AM
what transmission?

JimN
04-27-2010, 06:50 AM
Well I have been out a few times this season. First sign of water it wasn't too much so I replaced the transmission cooler. It was the original and from looking online it made since. I took it to the local master craft shop and they weren't able to test the old one so I just bought a new one. However After going out a time or two, as I slowly fill with water, I notice there is an oil substance in the water. Where else could tran fluid be leaking? I am thinking seals? How can I test to be sure before I go creating a weekend project. Oil is fine, no water contamination and level hasn't changed since replacing the oil at the start of season. Also boat temp seems to run a nice 160f +/- 10 depending on idle or lake.

If your dealer can't test an oil cooler, they aren't trying very hard to be a good dealer. ANY radiator shop can test one of these and with two fittings, anyone else can, too. You would need a brass plug in one oil line hole and one for the other end, that can have a Shrader valve threaded into it. Once these are in place, pressurize it with a bicycle pump or air compressor and stick it in a bucket of water. If you see bubbles from anywhere other than the threads around the brass plugs, it's leaking. This costs about $6 and the parts can be found at most hardware stores.