PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for the help, with pictures

williamlindner37
04-25-2010, 11:26 AM
I'm almost finished restoring a 1987 Prostar 190, and I could not have done it without this website!!!

FrankSchwab
04-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Now that's purty!

Congratulations.

williamlindner37
04-25-2010, 12:51 PM
Here are some more pics of my 87 Prostar 190

woobiedmd
04-25-2010, 12:56 PM
Welcome! That's a sweet lookin' ride! How many hours? Tell us the story of how/where did you get the boat. I got an '88 Prostar(same boat) about a year ago so it's nice to see another one. Post more pics and details of your new member of the family.:)
Mark

Mr_Woodcock
04-25-2010, 01:33 PM
Looks great!

ahhudgins
04-25-2010, 07:38 PM
Great work! Where do you ski? I see the numbers are in VA where I'm at. I had the exact same boat except my interior trim was black/red. I traded my up in Michigan a few years ago and I really miss that boat. I think you will really enjoy it, they handle like a dream.

ahhudgins
04-25-2010, 07:46 PM
I'll give you a little advice too. Some times it's hard to see out of the windshield on that boat because the white fiberglass reflects the sun light up into the glass. I drove around with a black towel across the fiberglass (behind the mirror and in front of the dash) until I had my upholstery guy cut me a piece of material to fit.

TX.X-30 fan
04-25-2010, 09:22 PM
She looks fantastic now!!!

peason
04-25-2010, 09:32 PM
Well done, way to bring her back to life!

williamlindner37
04-26-2010, 09:44 AM
A friend of mine at work had bought in new in 1987, and decided it was time to get rid of her at only 370 hrs. I teased him for years that he should sell her to me, and one day he said it could be mine for $1000. I couldn't have said yes any quicker. I used this website as my guiding star, and slowly over a year got her to this point with only $3000 more invested along with alot of sweat equity. For those around Central Virginia, I used Stacey's Upholstry(go to website) at Lake Monticello. He gave the piece of material for the backseat, which I took to an embroider (along with a Mastercraft decal). I like the back seat the best, mainly because I came up with the ideal in my mind, and then somehow turned into reality. The only thing left to put on is the teak swim platform I bought on ebay, and some trailer work as soon as can get her in the water. I plan to use her at Lake Anna, which is where I work. Again, I would like to thank all those who post on this forum IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

Kevin 89MC
04-26-2010, 12:16 PM
Wow, awesome job! Good to see these old steeds gettin' re-done. Wish I had the time to spend on mine. Someday...
Kevin

87MC owner
04-26-2010, 01:23 PM
Nicely done. Keeping it stock is what I like to see. I had some of the same fading on my red stripe until I had it wet sanded and now it looks new again. Keeping her out of the sun has made the big difference.

ahhudgins
04-26-2010, 02:03 PM
The MC logo on the back seat was the first thing that caught my eye. That was a very good idea and your boat will be very unique. How about a close of shot of the back seat?

engkid_486
04-27-2010, 10:16 AM
Nicely done. Keeping it stock is what I like to see. I had some of the same fading on my red stripe until I had it wet sanded and now it looks new again. Keeping her out of the sun has made the big difference.

87MC
Did you do the wetsanding yourself? I am tackling that project now on my 90 Prostar 190. Would like to hear about your process.

WilliamLinder
Your hull turned out great! Did you use the properboatcare gelcoat repair kit or something else? Also, if you dont mind me asking how much did that interior run you and how long was your downtime?

87MC owner
04-27-2010, 01:27 PM
Actually I was afraid to do it myself so I hired a gent that works on boats to simply wet sand the red. He did an excellent job and didnt even remove the silver stripe decals that seperate the color from the white hull. Mine was really pink too. I reapplied the white transom decals and side prostar ones and you cant even tell it was done unless you look closely to see the shadow of the original decals.

williamlindner37
04-30-2010, 07:53 PM
I just used turtle wax rubbing compound (do not use the brown stuff it was hard to buff out) from Walmart (about five passes). I was afraid to wet sand, so I just used sears basic polisher with alot of buffing pads. As for the upholstry it only cost $1800 that include new wood for the side panels and carpet (material only). I highly recommend him. The turn around time was long, but it was winter time and I told him I wasn't in a hurry.