PDA

View Full Version : Checked My Impeller

Fasteddie
04-23-2010, 09:52 AM
I decided to remove the front cover on my RWP to inspect the impeller before my first outing. I've only owned the boat for a couple of couple of years so I'm not always sure how the prior owner maintained the boat. I check the impeller last year and it looked good. I had purchased a spare impeller a while ago just to have as an emergency spare. I decided to change it out just for the piece of mind but the old one still looked good.
The first picture shows the impeller before I removed it to use as a reference. None of the vanes were cracked on the outside and the couple I could see on the interior looked good.
The second photo shows the impeller after removal. As you can see, about half of the vanes are shot but the other half look great, go figure. I've never run the boat dry, but you never know what the prior owner did.

jdhart73
04-23-2010, 10:44 AM
Why does the impeller look all smashed up and lop sided inside the RWP? Whats the stuff inside the housing on the right hand side of the pic, looks like gunk or something?? Sorry..just curious cuz it looks strange. Thought its supposed to be nice and cylindrical.

silverblueBP
04-23-2010, 10:47 AM
Why does the impeller look all smashed up and lop sided inside the RWP? Whats the stuff inside the housing on the right hand side of the pic, looks like gunk or something?? Sorry..just curious cuz it looks strange. Thought its supposed to be nice and cylindrical.

That's the way the housing is made.

VOLFAN
04-23-2010, 10:47 AM
jdhart

that is the way the housing is molded/machined

Yellow X9
04-23-2010, 10:57 AM
Thought its supposed to be nice and cylindrical.

I would have thought the same......

thatsmrmastercraft
04-23-2010, 10:58 AM

That crescent moon portion of the pump is what causes the water to be scooped/scraped by the vanes of the impeller and pushed ahead. If you look at the picture, you can see where the water gets trapped by the knob at the end of the vane and then forced past that crescent moon shaped piece. Works the same way as the oil pump in a transmission.

hkallestad
04-23-2010, 12:20 PM
If it where cylindrical you would have a very hot engine;-)

Chicago190
04-23-2010, 03:41 PM
Those pictures are exactly why I don't mind replacing the impeller every year.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-23-2010, 04:01 PM
If it where cylindrical you would have a very hot engine;-)

But the impeller would last longer. :D

06197ttlq9-footer
04-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Those pictures are exactly why I don't mind replacing the impeller every year.

I replace mine every spring, and if the old one is in good shape...I keep it as a spare.

hkallestad
04-23-2010, 06:23 PM
Me too, never seen any wear on mine, only the rubber getting stiffer.

1boarder
04-25-2010, 12:45 PM
I normally change my impeller every season. Last year we had our first baby and I new our time would be limited on the water so I opted to go two seasons. I took it out this year and it looked similar to yours. Two vains were missing the back half. I will go back to every season no matter how many hours I use the boat. If I would of inspected it, I would of not been able to see the damage because the front appeared OK.