PDA

View Full Version : Tow eyes with removable platform

loeweb
04-20-2010, 02:14 PM
How do I mount a removable platform on my 88 190 without having to cut or remove the tow eyes on the back of the boat? I have looked it over and can't figure out what to do. I have no problem cutting them off since they never get used, just wanted to know what others have done in this situation.

Covi
04-20-2010, 03:14 PM
You're joking, right?

If I'm correct you can one of two things.

1st either unscrew the screws that hold that platform to the brackets, this will leave the brackets on the boat and remove the platform only.

2nd you can unbolt the bolts that are on the transom, This will remove everthing (brackets and platform).

The tow eyes should not affect the removal of the platform at all.

Covi
04-20-2010, 03:15 PM
My joking coment refers to you cutting the eyes off. Please take no offense.

rlwiley
04-20-2010, 03:24 PM
I understand what your asking. The pivoting/folding kits actually pulls out a little first and then swings down. I believe there is a link to the OJ kit and pics on here somewhere.

TMCNo1
04-20-2010, 03:36 PM
I do not understand why you think you have to cut off or remove the rear transom eyes.
Here is the entire retro fit thread on our '89 and there should be no difference in the two, http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=29738

TX.X-30 fan
04-20-2010, 03:40 PM
My joking coment refers to you cutting the eyes off. Please take no offense.

I'm offended..........................:D

loeweb
04-20-2010, 03:56 PM
I picked up a set of removable brackets from alloy marine. Upon mounting the brackets I noticed that the platform probably won't come off without either taking off the eyes, or cutting them off. In my garage I need every inch I can get, and even had to take off the pitots to get the boat to squeeze into the garage, so the folding platform brackets were out of the question. Probably should have asked more questions before buying, but I'm kinda screwed now I guess. Thanks for any suggestions

Sodar
04-20-2010, 04:07 PM
I picked up a set of removable brackets from alloy marine. Upon mounting the brackets I noticed that the platform probably won't come off without either taking off the eyes, or cutting them off. In my garage I need every inch I can get, and even had to take off the pitots to get the boat to squeeze into the garage, so the folding platform brackets were out of the question. Probably should have asked more questions before buying, but I'm kinda screwed now I guess. Thanks for any suggestions

Take some pics. I still don't understand why would the brackets affect the tow eyes?

loeweb
04-20-2010, 04:13 PM
Don't know if I can get any pics any time soon, but the top of the platform is within an inch of the eyes. This makes it impossible to get the platform off with the brackets attached to it. Yeah I could take the screws out off the platform before taking it off, but in that case, I'd rather use the old brackets and remove the whole thing from the boat in one piece. I think I'll just grind off the eyes. Unless someone can tell me a time that I have actually used them for something other than tying myself to the back of the boat so I don't float away.

bxroads
04-20-2010, 04:14 PM
He is saying that the tow eyes are only a few inches above the platform. The removeable brackets require that the platform be lifted straight up for several inches. There is not enough space to lift the platform, the tow eyes are in the way.

bxroads
04-20-2010, 04:20 PM
Here's a picture of the situation.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/bxroads/1983%20Mastercraft/IMG_1069.jpg

Sodar
04-20-2010, 04:29 PM
I follow... the platform drops into the mounts, rather than slides in horizontal like my boat.

Hmmmmm.... very odd predicament! :D

TMCNo1
04-20-2010, 04:29 PM
He is saying that the tow eyes are only a few inches above the platform. The removeable brackets require that the platform be lifted straight up for several inches. There is not enough space to lift the platform, the tow eyes are in the way.

The only removable platform brackets that I am aware of for that model boat are the ones that came on ours originally as a option. The 2 bolt brackets bolted to the 4 bolt adapter plate that was mounted to the transom ans never removed as shown in my earlier pictures during disassembly. They did not drop down into the base plate, but bolted horizontally to the plate, so there was never any interference of the transom eyes. If someone makes a drop in removable platform bracket for that model boat like on the 1991 boat and up, it's a mystery to me, but you would have to notch the teak platform at the transom eyes to avoid them.

Sodar
04-20-2010, 04:31 PM
Maybe contact Alloy or OJ and see if they have a mount that slides in, rather than drops down.

bxroads
04-20-2010, 04:58 PM
I ran into the same problem on the above pictured boat and all I could find were the removable brackets that drop in from the top as loeweb describes.

Sodar
04-20-2010, 05:02 PM
I ran into the same problem on the above pictured boat and all I could find were the removable brackets that drop in from the top as loeweb describes.

Where are the brackets themselves in relation to the eyes? Is notching the wood an option?

bxroads
04-20-2010, 05:26 PM
Notching the wood is an option. The brackets are not aligned with the tow eyes. To reduce the depth of the notch you can fudge a little and move the platform back on the mounting bracket, thus increasing the gap between the platform and the transom.

Kevin 89MC
04-20-2010, 05:50 PM
How do I mount a removable platform on my 88 190 without having to cut or remove the tow eyes on the back of the boat? I have looked it over and can't figure out what to do. I have no problem cutting them off since they never get used, just wanted to know what others have done in this situation.

I ran into your exact problem back in the day when I got the removable platform brackets from Alloy Marine. The only option we could think of was to notch the platform. I did it with a drill bit and jigsaw, turned out OK. The hardest part was making sure the brackets were lined up absolutely parallel so it wouldn't bind when lifting up the platform. I did this about 10 years ago, and while the black paint on the brackets has faded, they've held up well. See the attached picture, but ignore the big chunk taken out of the platform. That repair process is under way, and I'll post more when it's done.

Good luck, go slow, and you'll get it. It sure is nice being able to remove my platform.
Kevin

Starshack
04-20-2010, 05:51 PM
I would just remove the tow eyes and put stainless bolts in their place to fill the holes (caulk with 5200) - you will have to take out gas tank to get to the nuts on the u bolts on the inside of the transom. The tow eyes on my 89 PS did not interfere with the factory quick release brackets.

autiger
04-20-2010, 06:56 PM
My first mastercraft was a '83 stars and stripes. In order to make the removable brackets work I took the platform to a cabinet shop. The shop used a special kind of saw which put notches in the platform. Otherwise it would not have worked. It looked and worked great.