PDA

View Full Version : 2002 X-9 - Fuel / Start Issue

rocket71
04-20-2010, 02:47 PM
Hello Everyone,

At the end of last season I purchased a 2002 X-9 with about 600 hours on it. It runs great and everything seems okay except 1 pretty big issue. Intermittantly the fuel pump will not come on and it will not start. Here is what has been done so far....

Here are the symptoms I have observed and what has been done....(note: I might have 2 different issues here.)

-- Every once it in a while it will either not start or just flat stall and die while running on the water. When this condition occurs I have observed there is no fuel coming from the throttle boddy into the intake. It appears the reason for this is because the fuel pump is not coming on. I dont hear it nor the relays engaging. No fuel pressure is observed either so I know the fuel pump is not coming on.
-- The fuel pump was replaced (what an expensive thing to replace to not fix the issue). No fix.
-- The safety switch w/the wrist band was by-passed. No fix.
-- I thought the relay on the back of the engine would be the culprit but given there were 3 of the exact relays there beside each other I just switched the fuel pump relay to the starter relay and visa versa to see if the problem moved. That didn't do anything. Same Issue.
Any ideas? Someone mentioned the neutral safety switch but I thought that would actually prevent it from turning over also. When it wont start/dies it turns over fine, it just isn't spraying fuel.

The only other point of interest is I had to replace the IAC late last year because it would die when backing off to throttle. That has been fixed. Oh, it will be running along fine, act like it is going to die but if I feather the throttle quickly I can keep it running but this seems more like an anomoly than an actual fix or symptom. I believe I am losing power to the fuel circuit and think sometimes it just starts back up before it dies.

Is it possible I have a bad ECU? ughh...wonder how much that could be.

Thanks in advance, B

JerryW
04-20-2010, 03:12 PM
Another thing to check would be the wiring harness from the fuel pump. I had a similar issue with a 2002 X-9 with the LQ-9 engine. It turned out to be a loose connector that I wound up taking the connector apart and spreading the contacts out so it made a better connection. It's been few years but I think the connectors were under one of the plastic covers on the engine. May be different depending on which engine you have.

JUST-IN-TIME
04-27-2010, 03:49 AM
key switch, check that

chico
04-27-2010, 06:21 PM
Time to get it hooked up to a scanner.

Mike
05-11-2010, 10:43 PM
My 2002 MariStar stalled out twice as we were underway on our last end of season outing. Both times we still had 25 gallons of gas. We got towed in and filled up with gas and it started up again.
I’m suspicious it might be something to do with the intake level on the fuel pump? I’m scheduled in the shop next Monday.

JUST-IN-TIME
05-11-2010, 11:19 PM
i think the carter pumps they used had problems

jwh445
05-20-2010, 09:56 AM
Rocket

Have you solved your problem yet, if so, what was it. I have a 2005 x9, it is doing the same thing. Runs great, then dies. After several attempts, it will restart and run fine. It has happened with 1/4, 1/2, 5/8ths of a tank of fuel. It left us stranded once, but usually restarts.

John

oxberger
05-20-2010, 10:59 AM
I'm sure this is not the problem because you guys have the newer engines with all the electronic stuff. I have a 1985 SS with the 351 W and had a similar problem. It turned out to be the gas tank. The person that had it before me never treated the fuel when it was last winterized. I thought I cleaned it out well enough when I went through it, but apparently there was so much varnish in it that the boat would run great for a while. After some running around, that would stir up the varnish and start running it through the fuel system causing almost the same exact problem. My .02 and in this economy it's more like .005.

jwh445
05-21-2010, 04:42 PM
I dropped mine off at the shop. They will be checking for electircal connections (shorted, or heating up), fuel pump, kill switch, and key switch. The tech sounded like he was familiar with the problem. I sure hope he can isolate the problem and make the proper repair. I'll post my results here.

John

redx10
05-22-2010, 04:01 AM
I had the same problem with an 04 X10, it ended up being the plug ontop of the fuel pump. I cleaned all the green corrosion off and filled it with di-electric grease and have put 200hrs on it since.

rocket71
05-24-2010, 01:52 PM
Sorry for the delay. I had not had the boat out since my last post. I got it out this weekend and am having the same problem. What ever causes it to die is directly related to the fuel pump losing electrical power. I just can't seem to find the problem because it does not happen consistently enough. I am going to try to what "redx10" has suggested and am looking forward to "jwh445" finds out from his shop visit. I work with a lot of marina's due to my job and they all say the same thing to not bring it in till it fails completely.

It is just so weird. It did it 6 times in 15 minutes then ran great for 4 1/2 hours and started again. I am also going to look at pulling all the fuel pump wires to check for chaffing here soon.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

IH2OSKI
05-28-2010, 03:47 PM
Check the fuel pump relay and wiring connection. Mine did something similar - I ziptied the connection together and haven't had a problem since.

rocket71
05-28-2010, 07:26 PM
Okay, I have pulled the fuel pump connections and all 3 relays on the back of the engine and cleaned them plus put dielectric grease in them. Memorial weekend is here so I will get a chance to see if that fixes it.

I noted the grey and black wires going to the fuel pump have 2 very serious kinked sections which I may end up bypassing if the above does not work.

I was wondering if anyone can list the possible things which would cause the fuel pump to not power on...here is what I have so far....(note this assumes everything is else working)

1. Bad Fuel Pump
2. Bad Fuel Relay
3. Corroded or bad wiring connections
4. Bad/Chaffed Wiring
5. Faulty Safety Switch (ie...wrist band)
6. Bad ECU??? Not sure about this one other than the fact the ECU controls the voltage to adjust fuel pressure. I think the pump would still come on.

jwh445
06-04-2010, 06:08 PM
I talked to the tech at my shop and he said, "I ran that thang for pert neer 3hrs, and that engine purred like a kitten". He said he found a connection on top of the fuel tank with a bent pin, he straightned the pin and ran it without a problem. I will be able to run it in a week or two, I'll keep yall posted.

rocket71
06-07-2010, 11:21 PM
Bingo! I seemingly have solved the issue. I took the advice of a poster above. I cleaned all the fuel relay and fuel pump connections and filled the connectors with dielectric grease. I have ran it for 6 hours on the water now without a hic up. Yeah!

jwh445
06-17-2010, 01:39 PM
Same here. My tech straightened a pin on the connector to the fuel pump and I ran for 20 hrs without any interruptions. Keeping my fingers crossed.

John

Mike
06-19-2010, 09:28 PM
It was the fuel pump!
Got it replaced a couple of weeks ago and then spent last week at Shasta..
No problems!!!
BTW, the lake is full again!