PDA

View Full Version : exhaust risers

bainez23
04-20-2010, 01:02 PM
i have a leak on one side of the exhaust riser was going to replace the gasket but was wondering if anyone had any problems with the bolts? have not tried mine yet but was thinking that they might be stuck because of the heating and cooling of them. if anybody has changed them and ran into problems or not please post any advise would be a great help thank you

east tx skier
04-20-2010, 02:36 PM
I had so much trouble getting an allen head to turn those screws that I gave up and took it down to my local mechanic to get them off. For an extra $25, they even changed the gaskets for me. I think a little heat can be your friend there. You might try some PB Blaster, too. Ski Dim has a replacement screw set that appears to be something that would be easier to remove next time.

JLeuck64
04-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Never had any trouble separating those parts yet... knock on wood.
If you have Allen head bolts you can make a tool to access them a little easier. Cut the end off the Allen wrench that fits those fasteners. Just needs to be long enough to stick above the bolt head so you can grab it with a wrench...

CruisinGA
04-20-2010, 02:49 PM
Use anti-seize when you put it back together and next time will be much easier...

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/rockware/antiseize%20006.jpg

thatsmrmastercraft
04-20-2010, 03:11 PM
If you have Allen head bolts you can make a tool to access them a little easier. Cut the end off the Allen wrench that fits those fasteners. Just needs to be long enough to stick above the bolt head so you can grab it with a wrench...

Or buy one of these?

Chicago190
04-20-2010, 06:39 PM
Or buy one of these?

Yep, allen head sockets are a life-saver, although they are surprisingly hard to find. BMW uses allen head bolts for their brakes, and I had no problem breaking those free with a socket wrench, so you should be alright on the exhaust risers.

JLeuck64
04-20-2010, 06:45 PM
The problem I ran into with my risers was there just wasn't any room to get an allen head socket into the bolt. Even the kind with a round ball on the end would not reach all four bolts, just some...

So, I made me a tool!

ahhudgins
04-20-2010, 09:09 PM

I've never had a MC that I could fit an allen head socket on my riser. I did the same as you, cut an allen wrench down just short enough to fit in the bolt, then stuck a small pipe on the allen wrench. Keep them both in my tool box at all times.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-21-2010, 09:03 AM
Yep, allen head sockets are a life-saver, although they are surprisingly hard to find. BMW uses allen head bolts for their brakes, and I had no problem breaking those free with a socket wrench, so you should be alright on the exhaust risers.

Product Name 6 pc. Standard Hex Bit Socket Set, 3/8 in. Drive
Model Number 00934447000 $29.99