PDA

View Full Version : Some overall suggestions...

wakescene
06-21-2005, 12:58 PM
1. Bilge parts that are aluminum should be made of Stainless Steel or a composite material. I have had to replace several parts in the bilge area, mainly the Steering cable brace, stuffing box port (part attached to the hull for the stuffing box) and all of the brackets that hold the ballast pumps.
2. Swim Platform Brackets. The swim platform brackets NEED to be made of a better material. The cast aluminium is jsut plain crap, and weak by design. The designer of the brackets that were on my 2001 Maristar should not be designing in my opinion. Now granted I boat in salt water and this adds a new element to the mix, but these parts have simply desintegrated over time. I have replaced 2 sets of swim platform brackets in two years. :noface:

Composite or SS are primarily the only way to go, and for the price of the boats, it should be expected. Either that, or the QA of MC suppliers needs to be looked at.

Just my $.02
KG

east tx skier
06-21-2005, 01:18 PM
Wow, two sets in two years. My OEM set has lasted 13 years. Of course, I'm not in salt water.

jimmer2880
06-22-2005, 06:52 AM
My OEM have lasted 10 years and no problems. But - then again, Fresh water only.

sizzler
06-22-2005, 08:00 AM
methinks there may be a correlation between longevity and fresh-water use..... ;)

BriEOD
06-22-2005, 08:11 AM
methinks there may be a correlation between longevity and fresh-water use..... ;)

Look at the big brain on Pete!! ;)

wakescene
06-22-2005, 11:28 AM
LOL funny stuff sizzler, and yes 'perhaps'!

I had a sweet set of SS brackets made by a local job-shop for my application. I don't really ever remove the swim platform except to clean it, and now that I have a trailer, I can just pull her out of the water and do a full wash and treat the platform.

Overall I am SUPER-DUPER happy with the boat, and MC and Indmar make great products. My problems have really been with the aftermarket items that just don't appear to be up to snuff.

I am very mechanical and have replaced a number of parts that were in dis-repair. Couple this with the latest skidm catalog I just got and I have no more worries.

I wil say, I was recently in CA for a few weeks and got some boat time with a friend...freshwater ROCKS. totally different experience...and of course a lot less worry for issues with the boat!

KG