PDA

View Full Version : Prop Repair

dgaugler
04-18-2010, 08:17 PM
I was given an extra prop from the previous owner when I purchased my boat, but the prop needs to be repaired. Is it was worth repairing to have as a spare or should I just get a new prop. The one currently on the boat is only about a year old and is flawless and is the same size as this one and appears to be the right prop for the boat.

The prop I'm thinking about getting repaired I believe is an OJ 14x18 and I think it might have been repaired once before.

Jerseydave
04-18-2010, 08:32 PM
It looks like it could be re-conditioned, send it to OJ and see what they say.

Or

Depending on how your boat performs with the current prop, you may want to try something different depending on application (altitude, ballast, etc.) My spare prop is different than the prop I run daily, just in case I want a little more holeshot.

What model is your MC, and what engine and trans? (I'm guessing a prostar 190 or 205 with a powerslot) :)

TMCNo1
04-18-2010, 08:33 PM
I was given an extra prop from the previous owner when I purchased my boat, but the prop needs to be repaired. Is it was worth repairing to have as a spare or should I just get a new prop. The one currently on the boat is only about a year old and is flawless and is the same size as this one and appears to be the right prop for the boat.

The prop I'm thinking about getting repaired I believe is an OJ 14x18 and I think it might have been repaired once before.

You can always inquire with Eric, send him the pic or let him see these and reply, http://www.ojprops.com/services

QBhater
04-18-2010, 08:33 PM
I have screwed mine up worse then that and I had it repaired. There is a place in Mukilteo, Wa called The Prop Shop. www.propshopinc.com is their email. The turn around it less then a week. When it is repair it will be brand new....

I believe a new one is around 400 for an Acme amd they are selling Ambush prop for under 300.. and the repair might be half that....
Eric at OJ props is good resource also since you have to ship it either way.
Then you have a spare when you need it most...

Mike

woobiedmd
04-18-2010, 09:02 PM
Check this photo out! This is an OJ Legend prop. I hit a rock last summer. I sent it to OJ for repair and they laughed saying since one blade was bent almost 90 degrees to the hub, it was unrepairable.:( They were nice enough to return it free of charge and enclosed a few stickers! I bought another one from them which I believe already has a few dings in it. I just bought another prop from "Robin" here on TT for a spare! I like to think of it as "insurance" that I'll never need- what do you think?

dgaugler
04-18-2010, 11:10 PM
Thanks for your advice. This is the same prop i have on the boat currently. I have a 96 Maristar 200 VRS with 285 HP TBI engine. We run it at mostly on lakes that 4000+ feet in elevation, but we also run quie a bit on Flathead lake which is only about 2900 feet. I don't have any complaints about performance with the curent setup. It has enough hole shot to pull me right out of the water almost instantly and I'm 190 lbs, and top speed is about 42 mph so from what I've read it sems like the prop is probally about right. The only time I was concerned about the performance was when we had 800 lbs of ballasts in the v-drive locker and 8 people and everyone was int the back on the sundeck or in the rear seat area. Completely pegged in that situation she would only pull about 2700 rpms and go about 10-12 miles an hour, but it was a nice surf wake. But we soon learned if we moved a few hundred pounds to the front the wake was cleaner and just as big.