PDA

View Full Version : 84 S&S wont start cranks over slow

d36yzrider
04-18-2010, 08:03 PM
After the boat sitting for the winter I pulled it out to get it ready for summer and it wont start. The engine cranks over very slow I had this problem a while back and replaced the negative battery cable and everything was fine but now its back. I even tried jumping it from the starter relay and had the same problem. Im stumped Im going to check the starter thats where im at now but im open for sugestions

Sidewinder
04-18-2010, 08:10 PM
D36yzrider,
Replace the postive wire and/or clean the battery / wire connections. Take the starter out and lubricate the shaft the the starting mechanism moves back and forth on (sorry, I can't remember the type of "grease" to use, but I'm sure someone will chime in). I did that last year on my '79 and it started up like a brand new boat. Hopefully that will solve your problem.

wakewander
04-19-2010, 08:44 AM
i have an 84 as well. once i got it out for the summer, mine did the same thing. i got the battery checked, which turned out fine. i went and replaced every bit of battery cable on the boat and put a new solenoid on as well! not for sure which one was it but i have no more problems what so ever. it turns over now harder than it ever did. i have been told my a few old timers that(cables) just laying in water and engine fluids will kill the cables. all the old salts say to throw some pennies in the bilge to keep from eating the cables wires. i know salt is different from fresh water but it still happens! i hope this helps!

83SuperSlot
04-19-2010, 11:20 AM
I had this problem on my '83. The battery was weak, around 60% but I was able to get it to fire and start right up by spraying some starter fluid into the carb and intake manifold. After it fired it was able to crank over with no problems...

thatsmrmastercraft
04-19-2010, 11:49 AM
After the boat sitting for the winter I pulled it out to get it ready for summer and it wont start. The engine cranks over very slow I had this problem a while back and replaced the negative battery cable and everything was fine but now its back. I even tried jumping it from the starter relay and had the same problem. Im stumped Im going to check the starter thats where im at now but im open for sugestions

Shouldn't be too tough to get this taken care of. What condition is your battery in? Put it on the charger and make sure its fully charged. If in doubt, take the battery to a auto parts store and have it tested.

Disconnect and clean all battery connections including the ground wire to the block. Use a wire brush to clean everything thoroughly.

If doing these doesn't have you starting properly, time to pull the starter. Go back to the same parts store (or take with you when you take the battery) and have them test your starter. When reinstalling the starter, apply a little good grease (wheel bearing grease will do) to the shaft the starter drive rides on.

By now you should have found the problem and start right up.

oldairboater
04-19-2010, 12:35 PM
I actually like to pull the starter apart and check the brush pack. That allows me to see brush wear and lube the back bushing/bearing depending on starter. I am also a fanatic about cleaning all electrical cables positive and negative from the battery to the solenoid. After cleaning I use a good coat of die-electric[not sure of the spelling but I recognize the tube] grease.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-19-2010, 12:44 PM
I actually like to pull the starter apart and check the brush pack. That allows me to see brush wear and lube the back bushing/bearing depending on starter. I am also a fanatic about cleaning all electrical cables positive and negative from the battery to the solenoid. After cleaning I use a good coat of die-electric[not sure of the spelling but I recognize the tube] grease.

Dielectric grease is one of the biggest headache avoiders I know of.

oldairboater
04-19-2010, 01:06 PM
I am a big fan of dielectric grease. Besides my Prostar--I run a big block Chevy in an airboat that is exposed to all weather, salt, mud, and sand when in use. Like you said headache avoider--it really stops or delays corrosion problems in electrical connections. We have used it in several different boats for more years then I want to count and now use it in automotive applications.