PDA

View Full Version : What rope and handle to get for fatboy friendly?

TEAL98
04-18-2010, 07:08 PM
Ok, so after installing my new thermostat yesterday morning, my buddy and his new girlfriend come over and we take the boat out to the lake. Put it in, let it reach operating temperature by the dock, all is good. Idle out of the no wake zone, and into the surrounding cove where I like to hang out, because not alot of people come back there (other than the residents). My buddy has never been waterskiing before so I help him slip on my skiis, and tell him all of what he needs to do to get up and go side-to-side.

So I go to pull him and the rope breaks on initial grunt. Throw him the back-up (this one was pretty old, but figured I'd try it anyways). That one breaks on initial grunt as well. So I remember reading a post from last year, and it seems that alot of you guys like Accurate products. Got my new Bart's catalog in, and it seems they've got different handles for wakeboarding and waterskiing, yet they look no different from each other. One ski handle had a 15 degree bend in it, but that was it. I need a rope and handle that'll pull somebody that's 250lbs (friend is 6' tall, 250lbs, big boy). The only difference I've seen in material would be that one is nylon (or something thereabout) and the other looks like some sort of strong cable-looking stuff.

I've been waterskiing for a couple of years now, but have always used the same ole' ropes so I'm not too sure what to look for, so my weekends don't get shortened because of broken ropes and handles. Any advice on what to get???

piper_chuck
04-18-2010, 07:22 PM
Any advice on what to get???
A larger set of skis. ;)
A larger person needs more ski to get up. While a stronger rope might help some, increasing the size of the skis will help larger people get up easier.

JLeuck64
04-18-2010, 08:28 PM
I'll second the larger ski and add one comment. With a big dude like that you might consider getting him up on a pair of combos first. Then as he progresses you can teach him to drop one ski.

André
04-18-2010, 08:52 PM
Any major brands ropes (Masterline,Accurate,Straight line and such...) won't break even with a 400 lbs skier in tow.You ropes seems to be really old...
Just get a new one AND a new handle from those brands and you'll be good to go!
Accurate's ones are fine with me!

LaRue
04-19-2010, 12:08 AM
I'm 6'3" 220. been using Accurate and Straightline ropes and handles and 69" slalom ski for over a quarter century. Never had a problem.

russlars
04-19-2010, 01:27 AM
If he is having a hard time getting up on slalom I would definitely recommend an "easy up" handle. This will keep the ski and the pull nice and straight. This is a must for beginning slalom skiers.

Kyle
04-19-2010, 04:40 AM
I replace my rope every year. If it has any fraying It is going to turn into dock line quick. This is why I own about 10 ropes. I have Straight Line and Accurate ropes. I use one all summer and then retire them for teaching light weight skiers under 100 lbs. or dock line. After a season there is about 200 to 300 sets skied on a rope so getting a new one every year insures me a good known rope. It also lets me aquire ropes fast. If I were to drag a Big man up they would be on a new rope and it will not break.

Get a high strand count from either company and it will be a better rope. The lower end ropes from either company are not as good IMO and they dont roll back up easy. Spend a little more on a good rope.

tex
04-19-2010, 08:41 AM
Teach him good technique too!

TEAL98
04-26-2010, 03:39 AM
Well, 2 days after it broke, I was in need of a rope and handle, so I stopped by the local marine store on the way to mom's dock and ramp and picked one up. Worked great for me, and the $25 rope and handle will last me all season. BUT I will definately follow the advice, and be ordering a nice Accurate rope and handle for him. Gotta take care of him, since he's my driver and all:cool:

Side note: Big Boy was on a pair of combos when they broke:D He's trying to talk me into getting a tube, which I will most likely end up doing since that's what'll keep the girls amused:o

TEAL98
04-26-2010, 03:40 AM
Teach him good technique too!

Knees bent, skiis tucked, rope on your chest, let's roll.... :)

tex
04-26-2010, 07:33 AM
I've just seen too many people tell them to lean back and it turns into a tug o war that the rope is the loser!

TEAL98
04-27-2010, 03:22 PM
I've just seen too many people tell them to lean back and it turns into a tug o war that the rope is the loser!

That's the only way I've been taught? Lean back, bend your knees, tuck your ski, and let the boat pull you up:confused:

scott023
04-27-2010, 03:43 PM
All of our ropes and handles are Ronix... they have performed really well for us. In fact, the wife wrapped on around the prop and it wasn't cut.

east tx skier
04-27-2010, 03:52 PM
In addition to the big ski and deep-v handle, I'd also suggest an easy pull up. All of the larger guys I know will fall pretty quick if you get too aggressive with the throttle out of the hole.

Other than that, (1) knees bent, (2) arms straight, (3) ski tip(s) out of the water, and (4) let the boat pull you up.

TX.X-30 fan
04-27-2010, 07:20 PM
In addition to the big ski and deep-v handle, I'd also suggest an easy pull up. All of the larger guys I know will fall pretty quick if you get too aggressive with the throttle out of the hole.

Other than that, (1) knees bent, (2) arms straight, (3) ski tip(s) out of the water, and (4) let the boat pull you up.

I thought of you when I saw this thread. :D