PDA

View Full Version : 4160 rebuild??

1redTA
04-13-2010, 10:15 PM
The instructions look pretty bland or like an index instead of good instructions. Anyone have any pointers or helpful experience. I'm new to carbs, should of got a LT-1, and the rebuild kits has a load of small o rings and looks like some serious beer drinking. Thanks Art

the petronix ignitor II looks easy though

Mr_Woodcock
04-13-2010, 11:51 PM
If you were close I would rebuild mine with yeah! I love serious beer time!

Fasteddie
04-14-2010, 09:38 AM
I ended up purchasing a Holley carburetor book from my local book store. It covers various models but there is a section on the 4160.
The hardest part was removing the old gaskets from the bowl covers and metering plates. They were stuck on like glue. I soaked them in solvent and they eventually came loose. Be careful about using any tools to scrape the gaskets off.
Get a cuple of cans of good carburetor cleaner and spray every surface, port and orifice inside and out on the carburetor. A small tooth brush and pipe cleaners (M-16 gas tube cleaners) make good tools.
Actually, once you take it apart, the replacement o-rings and gaskets are easy to figure out.
Some rebuild kits do not come with the accellerator pump diaphragm or the secondary throttle diaphragm. I would replace the accelerator pump and check the secondary diaphragm carefully. the secondary diaphragm can be replaced later with the carb mounted on the boat.
If you send me an address I could mail you the book. I assume you are in Fort Campbell, TN?

TMCNo1
04-14-2010, 10:02 AM
Everything you may need is here for reading, copying or downloading,, http://www.holley.com/TechService/

CruisinGA
04-14-2010, 10:05 AM
Get this-
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31YRRAQ9Q0L._SL500_AA260_.jpg

CantRepeat
04-14-2010, 10:11 AM
And compressed air is a must for blowing out the passages.

east tx skier
04-14-2010, 11:19 AM
I hate exploded diagrams. My local CC mechanic rebuilt mine for $150. :)

1redTA
04-14-2010, 12:08 PM
its actually not that bad! except, for the stripped out fuel inlet. FastEddie, I am in Clarksville, TN Fort Campbell's post office is located in KY so even though the majority of the post is in TN, it gets a KY address. east tx skier, I tried to get some of my car buddies to help me but we only mess with LT1 and LS1 engines. When I asked them about points they all had blank stares :)

thatsmrmastercraft
04-14-2010, 12:13 PM
its actually not that bad! except, for the stripped out fuel inlet. FastEddie, I am in Clarksville, TN Fort Campbell's post office is located in KY so even though the majority of the post is in TN, it gets a KY address. east tx skier, I tried to get some of my car buddies to help me but we only mess with LT1 and LS1 engines. When I asked them about points they all had blank stares :)

They probably don't know about manual windows on a car either. :D

Fasteddie
04-14-2010, 02:29 PM
I sometimes miss using my dwell meter and thinking about "coil saturation".

1red, I'm in Murfreesboro so I don't mind sending the book if you need it. I has some good step by step pictures of the re-build process.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-14-2010, 02:44 PM
Get this-
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31YRRAQ9Q0L._SL500_AA260_.jpg

$25 at Amazon.com

CruisinGA
04-14-2010, 03:54 PM
$25 at Amazon.com

Just hope you don't live in Cali, or find someone that doesn't care... ;)

Why is it that the 'good stuff' is always the first to get banned :confused:

1redTA
04-15-2010, 12:45 PM
The primary fuel bowl was stripped, so I wanted to get it thru summit racing when I ordered the ignitorII coil to go with the EI coversion. The tech looked and looked but couldn't get me one. Discount inboard marine FTW! I got the bowl and a new metal fuel line, I just wish they had the ignitorII coil to save me some shipping and handling fees