PDA

View Full Version : Clamp Block ?

Patrick Hardy
04-12-2010, 02:06 PM
How do you check the ball joint on the clamp block for wear. I was told you should check this if you have slop in the wheel. Is there certain things to look for? Thanks for any help.

Patrick Hardy
04-13-2010, 10:56 AM
Anyone? any ideas?

jwroblew
04-15-2010, 02:07 PM
Grab it and wiggle it around, if it wiggles, you have wear . I just got through trouble shooting play in my steering wheel. It ended up being slop in the tilt mechanism at the steering wheel, even though everyone told me it was probably the clamp block. It was an easy fix and it was free....

Marky-mark
04-15-2010, 03:03 PM
What was the play? And how did you fix it?

jwroblew
04-15-2010, 03:39 PM
I should have taken pictures but didn't, so I'll try to explain as best as I can.

When turning the steering back and forth you could move the wheel probably 10 degrees before the rack/cable started to move, obviously not the clamp block or something down stream of the column. So I took the wheel off and the rubber boot and the plastic piece that screws to the dash. Put the wheel back on and turned it back and forth. When I did this you could see the tilt mechanism move up and down before rotating, causing the play in the steering. There are to alen bolts, in what I would call a clamp block, I tried tightening those first but this did not have any effect. So I took the tilt mechanism off the dash, 2 big philips head screws, and removed the one alen that attaches the clamp block to the rest of the helm and loosened the other. After it was removed I removed the other clamp block bolt and removed the 2 pieces of the clamp block. Inside the clamp block were 2 half moon shaped pieces of some sort of metal allowing the steering wheel to tilt. Those two pieces of metal became very worn out causing slop. Since I did not have new pieces of those, nor would I know were to get them, I put 2 small shims behind them on the pin that holds them in place and ground the clamp blocks down to take up the slop. Greased everything with some good synthetic marine grease and put everything back together. It fixed my problem and it was basically free, cost of the grease, which I had anyway. Took about 30 minutes..

Hope this helps.

Marky-mark
04-15-2010, 05:23 PM
Good info. Thanks for that. I have some play in mine and now know where to look. Cheers!

Patrick Hardy
04-21-2010, 01:06 PM
Thanks jwroblew, that is exactly the info. that I was looking for!

rhsprostar
04-21-2010, 02:31 PM
I should have taken pictures but didn't, so I'll try to explain as best as I can.

When turning the steering back and forth you could move the wheel probably 10 degrees before the rack/cable started to move, obviously not the clamp block or something down stream of the column. So I took the wheel off and the rubber boot and the plastic piece that screws to the dash. Put the wheel back on and turned it back and forth. When I did this you could see the tilt mechanism move up and down before rotating, causing the play in the steering. There are to alen bolts, in what I would call a clamp block, I tried tightening those first but this did not have any effect. So I took the tilt mechanism off the dash, 2 big philips head screws, and removed the one alen that attaches the clamp block to the rest of the helm and loosened the other. After it was removed I removed the other clamp block bolt and removed the 2 pieces of the clamp block. Inside the clamp block were 2 half moon shaped pieces of some sort of metal allowing the steering wheel to tilt. Those two pieces of metal became very worn out causing slop. Since I did not have new pieces of those, nor would I know were to get them, I put 2 small shims behind them on the pin that holds them in place and ground the clamp blocks down to take up the slop. Greased everything with some good synthetic marine grease and put everything back together. It fixed my problem and it was basically free, cost of the grease, which I had anyway. Took about 30 minutes..

Hope this helps.

Nice! Wish you had taken some pics. I am going to have a look at mine to see if I can do the same thing. What did you use for shims?

jwroblew
05-02-2010, 12:03 AM
I had some really really thin washers that I used for shims

rhsprostar
05-19-2010, 12:07 AM
Thanks jrowblew i will give it a go...;)

bennyi09
07-16-2013, 04:55 PM
I have '78 SS and have had some play in the rudder/steering wheel. When pulling people through the course when I correct the path the rudder will all of a sudden grab and swerve the boat a bit... I check out the clamp block and greased it and also put a small washed in to eliminate some unnecessary play, but there is still the swerve when adjusting the steering.Where else should I be looking?

mikeg205
07-16-2013, 04:59 PM
I was able to tighten mine a bit. There are 2 allen heads screws in this assembly.

bennyi09
07-16-2013, 05:41 PM
Awesome, thanks! I'll give it a try this weekend...

Dynamite Spike
07-16-2013, 09:13 PM

Hope this helps.

Did you need a puller to get the steering wheel off? I'm trying to get mine off now but I can't get the hub off the splined shaft. It will move about 3/8" but it won't come any further. I've tried penetrating oil to loosen the splines but it didn't make a difference.

Dynamite Spike
07-16-2013, 09:51 PM
Ok, cancel my last question. I got it off with a bit more mechanical "persuasion" :-)

Poly Valves
07-17-2013, 06:49 AM
Clamp blocks provide protection and uniform spacing of pipe lines. They absorb shock, noise and vibration caused by fluid velocity and turbulence in pipes, high air velocity ducts, drumming of duct wall etc.