PDA

View Full Version : Teak swim platform construction tips?

Napagary
04-12-2010, 01:59 PM
I have a 1976 S&S clone and have decided to build my own teak swim platform. I have the alum transom brackets already mounted so it's all about the platform. I have good woodworking skills. a 3HP table saw, band saw, planer, and drill press so I'm ready to go in that dept. With the cost of Teak thru the roof, I'd like to be sure of the construction method & design rather than experiment etc.

I'm after a basic open grate design. I've been considering West System epoxy. I've read the teak needs to be wiped w/ Acetone before gluing? Are these platforms thru bolted (SS allthread?) and glued? I've seen photos of a few undersides - seems the teak is doubled around the perimeter??
Any tips would be most appreciated.

robin
04-12-2010, 03:46 PM
i just reworked my platform last year, filling in the open slats with full length pieces (see my thread). on mine, the short pieces were not glued, they were just screwed down. the frame of platform is glued and screwed with SS wood screws. i had no machine thread screws in mine. my teak cut , ripped and routed easier then oak, but screwing is a different story. the teak had a tendancy to split / crack unless i made the pilot holes larger then normal. ive heard gorilla glue works good for teak. teak is really oily wood, so make sure it is really dry and use acetone like u said. good luck

Napagary
04-13-2010, 02:39 PM
Thanks Robin - your platform looks great. Good tip on larger pilot holes and splitting.