PDA

View Full Version : Ballast Pumps

Kaboom
04-12-2010, 12:44 PM
I am stoked - I just got my first MC X-9. The ballast pumps for the center and rear come on and I can feel the air pressure but no water. I have checked the ball valve under the rear seat and it is open (even tried in closed position). Any help on how to check a plugged line, prime the pump, etc. Not sure where to start to get the water flowing intot he bags.

Thanks,

Thrall
04-12-2010, 02:37 PM
Check the impellers, very similar to teh engine raw water impeller, pull the cover off the ballast pump(s).

Kaboom
04-12-2010, 02:45 PM
Cool thanks, I did not know what type of pump they used. Seeing I do not have a manual yet do you know the location of the pump of hand? I am sure I can track it down, but just wandering.

CruisinGA
04-12-2010, 02:53 PM
Congrats-

We've been having a blast with our X9 since we bought it 8 months ago. Post some pictures!

Check those impellers, and if you have to replace, replace with the "green" ones. Available from a number of vendors. Lots of threads on here regarding ballast impellers.

Kaboom
04-12-2010, 04:42 PM
It is a 2002 X-9 black bottom, white hull, 280 hours with 330 hp. The boat needs some interior work, steering cable, and minor repairs...TLC. I hope I can find the impeller pump. Really looking forward to getting a service manual. Thanks for the info on the ballast threads.

CruisinGA
04-12-2010, 10:26 PM
Sharp looking boat. Never seen the black bottom w/ white hull. I also have the 330hp LTR. Been good to me so far.

Get some oil on that teak! It looks like it needs it!

Here are the ballast pump locations. I am not sure the manual has that type of information. (which manual are you referring to?)

Both ballast pumps to fill the system are at the rear of the boat more of less underneath the gas tank. If you remove the engine cover and the section of floor over the driveshaft, they are easily visible.

The 'empty' pump for the front sack is in front of the bilge pump, very close to the bottom of the ski pylon. Looks just like the bilge pump, only it has two hoses attached vs one for the bilge.

The 'empty' pump for the rear sack is in the starboard (drivers) side of the boat, down low underneath the gas tank as best I can tell. Haven't tried to get at that one yet.

I got lucky and haven't had to mess with any of my ballast pumps yet, although I do have a couple green impellers on hand. Aside from the front sac 'empty' pump, they are not in very convenient locations. They have also started to work better since I have been using the ballast system. The previous owner didn't use the system at all.

Hope this helps. I'll post a couple pictures of mine here instead of in a PM.

CruisinGA
04-12-2010, 10:51 PM
These pictures have been posted before, but since you're new... :D

Two weeks ago-
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs469.ash1/25758_1311702920325_1463198693_30899769_4938774_n. jpg

I think I'm going to pull the X9 decal off the side and either go with a large Mastercraft or the retro mastercraft w/ stars. http://www.mastercraftbydesign.com/index_558.asp

The attached photo is right after picking it up last July.

Ok foiler
04-19-2010, 01:18 PM
CruisinGA

What kind of speakers are those on the inside on the tower?

CruisinGA
04-19-2010, 03:04 PM
They are a pair of Bose indoor/outdoor patio speakers, added by the first owner. (I'm the third)

They are mounted to the tower on a bracket that looks like it was made specifically for mounting those speakers to a tower. I guess back in '02 there weren't many good tower speaker options.

I am looking to pull them off, and use them where they belong, on our patio or dock, and install a 'real' pair of tower speakers in their place.

They sound great if you want the music at a level good for listening in the boat, but even combined with the stock tower speakers can barely be heard by a rider.

Kaboom- you get your ballast pumps sorted out?

starrski
05-01-2010, 09:59 PM
While messing with the ballast pumps you should consider pulling the fuel pump and cleaning or replacing the fuel filter which is on the base of the pump in the fuel tank. (Tank is under the deck in the rear ski locker.)The '01 and '02 209 and X-9's were prone to having early fuel pump failures; indications were that the fuel filter plugs and overheats the pump. They also recommend as a tech note to avoid running below 1/4 tank (which is probably 1/3 on your guage) to keep it cool. My pump went out at 100 hours. My filter had particles from drilling. I cleaned filter again at 150 hours and it was fine.

I carry an extra water pump impellor, ballast impellor and gaskets. When they go, they go and blow your whole day. (Use bag balm or vaseline to lubricate if the little packet of grease is missing to keep it from sticking when it starts dry the first time.)

starrski
05-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Those speaker boxes/tower clamps look like they are from Monster Tower. www.monstertower.com Great setup since they don't take away much of the head room for a really nice sound. Monster is now part of the same group that was the OEM for the tower on that era of MC. I had my Prostar209 retrofit to the OEM tower by our MC dealer. (I put a monster tower on my '97 prostar205 and used one of their mirror arms on the 209.)