PDA

View Full Version : Scary, Scary day

76S&S
04-12-2010, 10:07 AM
I've been around water sports for the better part of 35 years now and have seen a lot of things but yesterday I saw the most frightening thing ever.

As a parent I've never been more scared than seeing one of my boys face down in the water not moving after a hard crash on a wakeboard.

He had just learned a heel 3 last weekend and was working on getting it dialed. He hit a roller right as he went up the wake and it was bad from the start. He rotated 180 and the heel side edge of the board caught first and slammed him into the water. I guess he rolled over while he was underwater.........and came up face down.

I knew it was a bad crash and did a power turn heading straight back, then I realized he wasn't moving and was face down. I got there as quick as I could and his twin bailed out of the boat and turned him over while I was getting the boat stopped. I then bailed out and he came to about the time I got to him, yet he wasn't breathing well and couldn't speak. A friend of the boys got behind the wheel and tried to get the boat closer but we were on the left "port" side of the boat and we all know that they only back to the right.

We eventually got him on the platform where I checked his eyes and limb movement. His breathing improved but he still couldn't really speak. It was a 10 minute run back to our place and by the time we got back his speaking had improved and he was moving under his own power.

The end result of all of this was thankfully just a concussion.

You may be surprised to learn that he was even wearing a helmet. I truly feel blessed that he only has a concussion, this could have turned out much worse. I'm very proud of how the son in the boat and his friend responded. They are only 14 but responded as well as I could have hoped for.

From all things in life come lessons learned. Here's what yesterday taught me:

1.Never, ever hessitate to tell those close to you how much you love them.
2.Discuss what everyone should do if anything like this happens.
3.Have a CGA vest handy for someone to grab as they jump out of the boat.
4.Approach the downed rider on the starboard side, so when you back up the rear of the boat swings toward the rider.
5.Have emergency numbers handy.

This is an extremely fun, but dangerous sport. Be safe out there.

ttu
04-12-2010, 10:10 AM
glad he is okay.

same thing happened to my son a couple of years ago. it was very scary indeed. odd thing is he kept wanting to get a comp vest and i would not allow him to get one. i am so glad he didn't have one.

piper_chuck
04-12-2010, 10:13 AM
This is the second time in a couple days I've heard of someone getting a concussion from a wakeboard fall. It's starting to make me wonder if I want my daughters to even try it.

Anyway, glad to hear you son was ok and the fast action of your other son is a direct reflection on your parenting skills. Sounds like you're raising them well.

YTW
04-12-2010, 10:42 AM
Glad to hear it all turned out ok. My son had a hard fall when the front of his board caught the tip of the landing wake. He was coherent but had a funny look in his eyes. Next day he came home from school and had absolutely no memory or his first three classes.

Good thing about young people is they recover pretty quickly.

One final thought, wakeboarding is like motocycle freestyle jumping. Those that are really good at it have experienced much pain.

93Prostar190
04-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Glad to hear it all turned out ok. It is why we wear vests and helmets, several years back we had the same thing happen to a footer .... face down in the water is not a good thing.

One of the most important things we can do as drivers and spotters is simply to say down as soon as the wreck happens ... this eliminates several hundred feet of forward travel by the boat which makes the return to the skiers that much quicker.

Glad to hear everyoone is alright and I bet he can't wait to ride again (you know that whole getting back on the horse thing?)

Peace, and a speedy recovery.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Wow, what a thing to go through. Glad to hear nothing worse than a concussion.

Does your son wear a helmet when he boards?

Monte
04-12-2010, 12:14 PM
Glad everything is OK. Just another reason to make sure all your i's are dotted and t's are crossed before hitting the water. Glad he had the needed safty equipment ON.

flipper
04-12-2010, 12:48 PM
Dang, glad it turned out ok. That's got to be the worst feeling in the world.

TayMC197
04-12-2010, 12:50 PM
My dad has witnessed me motionless a few times from racing motocross. He said there isn't a worse feeling in the world. Glad your boy is okay, and those concussion will catch up to him... takes about 3 months to fully get over one

76S&S
04-12-2010, 01:03 PM
Thanks for all of the comments, it's not something I ever want to repeat, but it is a difinate risk in this sport.

ttu, he was wearing a comp vest. It brought him to the surface but that's about it. I doubt a CGA vest would have righted him anyway. The wakeboard is just to bouyant.

MRMC, he doesn't always wear a helmet but did have one on yesterday. And will in the future as well.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-12-2010, 01:07 PM
Sounds like the helmet probably saved him from being hurt worse.

My son usually wears his helmet too, and will always wear it now. I made sure to get him a helmet with with ear protection, and he also wears a mouth-guard.

jakethebt
04-12-2010, 01:30 PM
Wow. Glad to hear he was ok. My boys are younger and not boarding yet but when ever they are in the water we always have someone in the boat with a life jacket on "just in case". I usually even keep my jacket on in the boat when the wife is out there and my buddy driving too.

The other thing that this brings to mind is rescue squad location. If you had to dial 911 from the water, where is the fastest place you could meet the squad? I often thought about calling the non-emergency number and seeing where they could be the fastest. Because if you are on the water on a boat, at 35 mph you can probably meet them some where like a well know dock, marina, etc faster then going home. Some of these lakes have long slow road and drive ways. This sounds extreme until you read what this father just went through. Looking at a face down rider is not the time to figure out the fastest way to get to a first responder. That being said, I have not even made the phone call myself... I guess it is time.

bcampbe7
04-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Wow... Glad to hear your son is OK.

Wow. Glad to hear he was ok. My boys are younger and not boarding yet but when ever they are in the water we always have someone in the boat with a life jacket on "just in case". I usually even keep my jacket on in the boat when the wife is out there and my buddy driving too.

The other thing that this brings to mind is rescue squad location. If you had to dial 911 from the water, where is the fastest place you could meet the squad? I often thought about calling the non-emergency number and seeing where they could be the fastest. Because if you are on the water on a boat, at 35 mph you can probably meet them some where like a well know dock, marina, etc faster then going home. Some of these lakes have long slow road and drive ways. This sounds extreme until you read what this father just went through. Looking at a face down rider is not the time to figure out the fastest way to get to a first responder. That being said, I have not even made the phone call myself... I guess it is time.

Not a bad idea at all! Good thinking!

barefootjoe
04-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Glad everything is ok! Sounds like everyone in the boat responed well.

My wife gets nervous when I barefoot and so I trained here with a few tips from my lifeguarding days. Practicing this on dry land, or even in the water helps and can actually be a fun event for older kids-teens.

For anyone who is interested, this is a summary of the proccess.

Priority 1. Protect the Spine and neck
2. Air
3. Cpr

It is vital to protect the neck if the person is unconscious because if thier neck is broken you wont know,therfore you could actually cause paralasis or death by moving thier head.

Who ever gets to the person needs to clamp the head with the following technique.

Swim up to the person and while laying sidways in the water, put thier shoulder the center of your chest, All at once, using your arms and hands like a vise firmly squeeze thier chest and back with your elbows, while squeezing thier chin and back of neck and head with your hands. (You can practice this standing up)
Note: Don NOT straigten thier head out, clamp it in whatever angle it is.

If they are face down you then must maintain pressure and swim under water - underneath them, to flip them face up. if they are wearing skis or a wakeboard you are going to need help with this to avoid twisting the spine.

If at all possible try to maintain your vice like grip while someone else checks to see if they are breathing/pulse... while still in the water, they can perform a few breaths of moulth to moulth if needed.

Stuffing life jackets under you both will keep you afloat. if the person is breathing, but unconscious.

If you have to move them onto the swim platform while unconscious, Release your hold and as gently as possible, pull thier arms up over thier head.

Together with the other people in the boat, use the persons elbows (now over thier head) to squeeze and hold thier head and neck in place while you ease them up onto the swim platform.

From the swim platform you can perform more mouth to mouth and or cpr if needed.

If they are not waking up and you have to travel a long ways to shore move them into the boat but protect the neck and spine. (you can slip a wakeboard under them if available)

If they wake up, have them move thier hands and feet, before you release your hold.

Hopefully you will never need this, but luck favors the prepared.

mccobmd
04-12-2010, 07:28 PM
This is the second time in a couple days I've heard of someone getting a concussion from a wakeboard fall. It's starting to make me wonder if I want my daughters to even try it.

Anyway, glad to hear you son was ok and the fast action of your other son is a direct reflection on your parenting skills. Sounds like you're raising them well.

Don't be afraid to let them start. If any of you have kids that are serious about inverts and big air would definitely recommend a few sessions with a good teacher. Big air is big risk and big reward but proper technique (and learning how to and how not to fall) are worth the investment.

JP WAKE78
04-12-2010, 08:09 PM
Lots of great information from this. I am glad your son is OK. We will take all of these suggestions to heart while out on the water!

BriEOD
04-12-2010, 08:16 PM
Thx for sharing and glad all is well.

Kyle
04-13-2010, 04:09 AM
I am sure glad your son is ok.

I have been a very competetive person all of my life and have gotten back on the horse too quick after an injury. Make him wate a few weeks to a month.

1 concussion from ski hitting my forhead slalom and face down when boat came back I was KO needing stitches but superglue worked fine.

4 concussions from Jan 09 to April 09 from fighting MMA. After the first one I would either KO or get another concussion. In that 4 mth period I had KO 3 times and they were in practice and striking was very limited. I never fought without head gear after the first concussion and thought I was taking it easy. I was training with a perfesional fighter who does personal training for rehab. He knew limits and my body could not handle simple things. After the 2 they kept on getting worse and after the 4th my brain burned for a month straight feeling like the inside of my head was burning outward. To this day I still have not been able to train with my MMA coach.

Once you have one they keep comming back easier and easier. I have had to learn to chill out a little. Please be carefull as I have not, I hated being hurt watching others practice and compete and I always thought if I was not practicing I was a titty baby. Your son is way too young to start the list of concussions.

Good luck and I hope his headache goes away soon. Getting your bell rung sucks

rhsprostar
04-13-2010, 07:28 AM
Glad he is ok. Read the post yesterday and as a parent sent chills down my spine.
Good to hear he was wearing a helmet. Between my two girls they must have about 8-10 different helmets for all the sports they do.

76S&S
04-13-2010, 09:50 AM
Thanks for all of the kind comments and well wishes.

I posted this merely to alert others of the risk that we don't always think about, but I have learned even more from everyone elses responses.

Thanks again.

JohnE
04-13-2010, 09:57 AM
Extremely scary story. Makes me think of all the times we've been out without a spotter. That would have been a disaster for you. Very glad your boy is ok.

rsmith_5568
05-08-2010, 09:46 PM
my kids are young and not into skiing yet but time will come and discussions like this stick in your head. Glad to hear all is ok and hope we all have many many years of good safe family fun on water

Jerseydave
05-09-2010, 10:19 AM
These kind of stories are what scare me and my wife the most about this sport. Thanks for the reality check and I'm glad everything worked out okay. Make sure you wait until your doctor says it's okay to resume wakeboarding, many people don't.

I don't always wear my helmet 100% of the time, but I will now. (and so will my son)

TEAL98
05-10-2010, 01:04 AM
These kind of stories are what scare me and my wife the most about this sport. Thanks for the reality check and I'm glad everything worked out okay. Make sure you wait until your doctor says it's okay to resume wakeboarding, many people don't.

I don't always wear my helmet 100% of the time, but I will now. (and so will my son)

+ 1

I got up on the wakeboard for the first time ever last weekend and was having a blast! Hadn't got to jumping any wakes yet, was still teaching myself how to "switch up" directions, when I took a HARD pounding, boat pulling me at maybe 1800RPMs. Told myself I wouldn't get back on until I got a helmet for sure:(

76S&S
05-10-2010, 09:46 AM
Update

My son was released by the doc and has been back on the water for two weekends now. The first weekend it was too windy to really ride, so he took an easy ride behind the pwc in a creek(slough). Saturday he was back behind the boat and riding well.

I've never been strict on wearing the helmet, except for when trying new tricks. I made him wear it on every ride Saturday. He complained but we didn't make any trips to the ER.

Dad even wore a helmet.

Thanks again. Be safe and have fun this summer.

JohnE
05-10-2010, 10:15 AM
Great to hear!

g00doleb0y14
05-10-2010, 10:27 AM
Hey,

I never thought about something like this, so my question is where would I send my child for some lessons on wakeboarding? We just got our 2000 X-Star and my son wants to start wakeboarding and I think some lessons might be a good idea.

Thanks for the insight.

Jerseydave
05-10-2010, 10:36 AM
Hey,

I never thought about something like this, so my question is where would I send my child for some lessons on wakeboarding? We just got our 2000 X-Star and my son wants to start wakeboarding and I think some lessons might be a good idea.

Thanks for the insight.

Lots of places in Florida to learn, the wakeboard camp is good from what I hear as well as Shaun Murray's camp.

Here's one I found in GA

http://waterskicamp.net/

Jerseydave
05-10-2010, 10:40 AM
Link to info about Shaun Murray's school "the boarding school"

http://www.wakeboarder.com/display.phtml?a=1429

Shaun is a great guy and super wakeboard coach.

76S&S
05-10-2010, 02:05 PM
Goodoleboy14 - if you are up for a trip to AL a friend of mine does some coaching.

http://www.mikeswatersports.com/

g00doleb0y14
05-10-2010, 03:57 PM
Where in AL couldn't tell from the website, we spend time on Lake Martin close to Auburn ?
Thanks for the reply because I'm thinking safety due to your post.

76S&S
05-11-2010, 09:17 AM
goodoleboy, he is on Lake Tuscaloosa, the other side of the state. He's a great guy (awesome rider) with a wide range of knowledge when it comes to watersports.