PDA

View Full Version : Engine will not start

stuartmcnair
04-11-2010, 01:43 PM
this is my problem. Trying to get the boat ready for summer and it will not start. It will run if I keep the starter motor going but as soon as I let off of it the engine dies. Any ideas?

JimN
04-11-2010, 01:53 PM
this is my problem. Trying to get the boat ready for summer and it will not start. It will run if I keep the starter motor going but as soon as I let off of it the engine dies. Any ideas?

Oddly enough, this sounds exactly like a missing lanyard or bad safety switch.

stuartmcnair
04-11-2010, 02:06 PM
Jim,

Good call. Lanyard's center post was bent. Put on lanyard number two and it fired right up. I knew it was something simple.

Thank you.

Stuart

JimN
04-11-2010, 02:59 PM
Jim,

Good call. Lanyard's center post was bent. Put on lanyard number two and it fired right up. I knew it was something simple.

Thank you.

Stuart

The safety switch and all of the other circuitry coming from the ignition switch is bypassed while cranking, so that's why the ECM, coil, etc gets voltage at that time.

This is the reason i like to recommend removing the lanyard when the boat isn't being used.

stuartmcnair
04-12-2010, 01:01 PM
I normally do. For some reason it was left on when i put it away last year. The new one is connected to the key so it will always come off when the boat is not running.

JimN
04-12-2010, 01:28 PM
I normally do. For some reason it was left on when i put it away last year. The new one is connected to the key so it will always come off when the boat is not running.

I wouldn't mind seeing a different clip. The one that's used most deforms over time and with heat but a metal one would scratch and cut things.