PDA

View Full Version : How about optimum wake on an 05 X2 ?

Cheecher
06-20-2005, 04:36 PM
I was recomended to come here and talk to Cary K. about optimizing the wake on the 05 X2 we just bought. The stock balast is nice, but no where near what I am hoping to get as far as size, and quality of the wake.

Here is what I have so far:
Stock Balast (tripple KGB i think) Lately without locker sack because of a problem I posted in another thread.
Roughly 200 lbs of sand to the nose.
A 540 lb bag right in the walk way of the open bow (80-90% full)
A set of the V Drive locker sacks form Fly High 400lbs a piece next to the stock tanks in the back.

We normaly put our heaviest guy up front in the open bow 220 lbs to help plain off better, but I think we have too much weight in the nose because the wake seems to have too much roll to it. There is no lip on it at all. Its pretty solid, but not the shape I would like. We do have another 540 lb bag available.

I am looking for a wake to get height not distance.

Any suggestions? :confused:

xrider
07-01-2005, 08:30 AM
That locker sack is the most important sack in the 205v hull. That will get your 'lip' you're talking about.

BG1772
07-01-2005, 09:28 AM
Once you get over 2000 lbs of ballast into the boat the wake will get HUGE! A guy on my lake has about 2200 lbs in his '99 X-Star and the wake is a monster! I once heard that you should split the weight 60/40 (60% in the back and 40% in the bow). If you can find lead for a decent price (~$.33 a lb) you can get about 600lbs of lead in the bow with no problem. It will take up less space than sand (lead weighs about .5 lbs per cu in). I have 400 lbs of lead in the bow of mine and I want to add more.

Cheecher
07-01-2005, 02:28 PM
Cool thanks guys.

So where would I find lead at for .33 a lb?

BG1772
07-02-2005, 10:07 AM
I found lead at a metal recycling place called research alloy here in Columbus. Not sure where you'd find it where you live. You may try looking up scrap metal in the phone book. You can also try getting on some wakeboard fourms to see what those guys have to say. When I was researching it, people were talking about going to tire centers and buying the wheel weights that are used for ballancing wheels. Good luck!

6ballsisall
07-02-2005, 11:13 AM
Try a roofing supply shop. They often sell it in rolls and recycle the extra. Any local foundry could melt it down for you and make some blocks. That would probably be your cheapest bet

BG1772
07-03-2005, 11:00 AM
I never thought about a roofing shop. Good idea.

Cheecher
07-07-2005, 10:02 AM
Thanks Fellas! It looks like I am going to need 2 200lb blocks, or 4 100's. Whatever is easiest. I am going to check into it.

Thanks again!

TTAdmin
07-08-2005, 11:17 AM
Cheecher....just realize that you eventually have to carry around those 2 200# blocks...

Also...the more weight you add to the rear of the boat..the more lip you will get. The more you add to the front..the more rampy (smooth) it will get. Once you know this you can move the bags and weight to accomodate your likings...

Cheecher
07-08-2005, 06:15 PM
Yeah I was thinking I may need to break that down a bit. Maybe 8 50 lb blocks.
I am definately getting closer to getting the wake dialed in right. Thanks for the tips!

BG1772
07-09-2005, 10:18 AM
You may want to go even smaller than 50. I have mine in about 30 lb chunks. I was worried that if I made them too big that when it came time to take them out I might drop one on the gunnel.

rmbrinner
07-11-2005, 10:16 PM
I have a 2002 X-Star and just wanted some advice about the weighting of my boat. I have 2 540's in the rear and the stock center ballast which I don't know how much it holds.

I am pretty satisfied with the wake, but think I should probably add a little more to the front because the wake washes out earlier than I think it should. With a rope lenght of 70' at a speed of 22 mph the wake sometimes washes out where you cross. Would more weight in the front solve this problem? Considering the fact that I usually have an hour trailer pull to wherever I am going, what would you suggest?

BG1772
07-12-2005, 07:54 AM
As long as your tow vehicle has good suspension you shouldn't have a problem with lead in the front. If you are concerned with keeping permenant weight in the front then I would add some side sacs under the seats in the bow. A disadvantage of using the side sacs in the bow is you loose the storage. Adding weight to the bow will help define the wake and make it a nicer ride.

Cheecher
07-12-2005, 12:32 PM
If we rode at 22 or 23 mph the wake would be huge, but riding at 26-26.5 really diminishes the wake. So we find oursleves really having to work work to get a good wake. If I ride at any less of speed, I dont feel like I can get acrossed fast enough.
Any suggestions?

Cary K.
07-12-2005, 01:28 PM
I can't believe I haven't seen this topic before now. Oh well.

My first suggestion, based on your last post, is to check your speedo/PP with a GPS. 26-26.5 is crazy. I am a big guy and only ride at 22-23. And that is on a tiny wakeskate. A few pros ride that fast, but only so they can get even further back on the wake.

Sounds like you are getting the wake dialed. Bow weight is key to keeping it clean. Just keep playing with different setups. I don't remember exactly where mine is right now, but something like factory KGB, plus 600 bow, 100 center, 700 rear. If I have a boat load of ppl, I will only have 1-200 lbs in rear. Wake is GREAT !!!

BG1772
07-12-2005, 01:54 PM
600 in the bow. That is great! I bet your wake is sweet. What are you using for your bow weight?

I sky ski at 27 to 29 mph and with 350 plus the standard KGB my wake is still a decent size. I still want to add more to the bow.

Cary K.
07-12-2005, 02:15 PM
600 in the bow. That is great! I bet your wake is sweet. What are you using for your bow weight?

I made 75lb lead plates, and that is what is in the front.

BG1772
07-12-2005, 02:39 PM
Did you melt the lead your self or have somebody do it for you? I was thinking of making some custom plates this winter. I've read that you can make plywood forms to pour the lead into.

Cary K.
07-12-2005, 03:32 PM
I melted it myself. Not hard, just time consuming. For safety reasons I did not want to pour the lead, so I had a buddy make me some stainless steel molds. I put the mold right on a turkey fryer, fill it with tire weights, then scoop off the clips. I had him make the paltes deeper than I needed so that I could have room to scoop off the clips without overflowing. I scribed a line inside the mold to let me know how full the mold needed to be to make the proper weight. Once I get the desired height/weight, I turn off the flame, let it cool a little, then take it off the burner all together and start on the next one with the other mold. Get a good respirator and good long welding gloves. I wear nice goggles too, you can't be too safe when messing with lead. Probably shouldn't be doing it at all, but I figured I'd be as safe as I could.

TTAdmin
07-12-2005, 03:58 PM
Your speedo/perfect pass is way off if you're riding at 26mph. I had an 04 x2 and I would ride at about 22.5 with the boat almost sunk.

My typical setup was factory ballast plus about 500lbs on each rear side and another 500 lbs in the front. This was with 3-4 people in the boat and no one sat in the bow.

Borrow a GPS and check your speed. If you're having to pull the boat that fast to clear the wake you may need to also shorten your rope...

Cheecher
07-12-2005, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the confirmation fellas. I have a friend with a GPS, that will come out with us. We are using the MC cruise. So I dont know if it is just not calibrated right or what.
I really need to start looking for lead.

Cary - where did you get all the tire weights from? Tires obviously, but who has that many tires laying around?!?!?!

Cheecher
07-12-2005, 05:38 PM
Well Hot Digity Dog, I found me a source for some lead. I have some cousins that run a tire shop, and he just told he sold about a 20 gallon container full of it, so my name is on the list. Now I just got to get that melting down together.

BG1772
07-12-2005, 06:31 PM
Nice job on finding a source for tire weights. I called around Columbus when I was looking for lead and couldn't find any tire shops that were willing to sell/give me the lead.

BG1772
07-12-2005, 06:33 PM
I melted it myself. Not hard, just time consuming. For safety reasons I did not want to pour the lead, so I had a buddy make me some stainless steel molds. I put the mold right on a turkey fryer, fill it with tire weights, then scoop off the clips. I had him make the paltes deeper than I needed so that I could have room to scoop off the clips without overflowing. I scribed a line inside the mold to let me know how full the mold needed to be to make the proper weight. Once I get the desired height/weight, I turn off the flame, let it cool a little, then take it off the burner all together and start on the next one with the other mold. Get a good respirator and good long welding gloves. I wear nice goggles too, you can't be too safe when messing with lead. Probably shouldn't be doing it at all, but I figured I'd be as safe as I could.

Thanks for the pointers. I may have one of my friends weld me some molds - probably a good idea. I was planning on wearing a respirator and welding gloves for sure.

Did you paint your lead or leave it natural?

Cary K.
07-13-2005, 08:08 AM
Get them to make at least the bottom of the molds out of the pretty thick stock as it will tend to deflect. The sides aren't as big of a problem.

I still have the CAD drawings for 2 different type molds if anyone is interested. I may be able to put them in a different format (Word?, Paint, etc...)

I have done several different things as far as coating them. I carpeted a few of them, painted a few, spray on truck liner on a few, and have a few raw. I think one guy I sold a few too even put a plastic tool dip substance on his.

BG1772
07-13-2005, 08:12 AM
Can you convert the drawings to a Visio format? I'd be very interested in looking at your drawings.

The plastic dip is what I was thinking of trying. I was wondering if it worked out well.

Cheecher
07-13-2005, 01:36 PM
So are the plywood forms not a good option? I think I have some friends that could help me with the stainless steel plates. I will talk with them, and see what kind of ideas they have. They are some pretty creative, and talented handy fellas.

Cary K.
07-13-2005, 02:22 PM
I honestly don't know about plywood. I was not thrilled about the idea of pouring molten hot lead in general, much less into wood. It may work fine though.

I can't get the image small enough to be legible on this site, so I will post a link to my fabrication drawings later.

BG1772
07-13-2005, 04:30 PM
I agree on the pouring of the lead. It was scared me most. I read on a wakeboard forum that people were making plywood forms and that because lead melted at such a low temp, it would not burn the forms too badly. Another post said that people were using bread pans in the sam manner as your stainless forms. However, I think your idea of making stainless forms is a good idea.

Cary K.
07-13-2005, 04:37 PM
Only downside is that my forms cost @ $100 each. Maybe y'all can get them made cheaper than that.

I have heard of breadpans too.

Cheecher
07-15-2005, 06:13 PM
Hmmm Bread pans sounds like a cool idea. I could care less. I'll poor it if I have to.
I dont feel like spending $100.00 for forms. But I'll do what I gotta. Thanks for all the cool ideas fellas!!!!!