PDA

View Full Version : motor not doing right

slickwater1
04-06-2010, 10:12 PM
well boys my 93 prostar started having engine problems last year, thought it was the battery or starter, replaced both. boat cranks great most of the time. if you shut it off in the water or on the hose it seems to lock up somehow. the motor will just barely turn over. if it ever fires it does fine and will run like a top. any ideas on my starting problem?

93Prostar190
04-06-2010, 10:18 PM
How are all connections? any chance something is loose at the coil or the ground on the starter? are all the electrical cables in good condition? does it happen when there is water in the bilge? Sometimes those cables coming from the back of the boat are in the water of the bilge (if it is wet) and some open insulation would be a problem ... if all those things are ok ... what about the Rotor and Cap for the Distributor, been replaced lately?

slickwater1
04-06-2010, 11:12 PM
all connections are great. no water in bilge. it did it today on the fake a lake. motor cover off and floor out. brand new rotor, cap, plugs, wires, starter, battery. really afraid i have cracked exhaust manifold and hydro locking motor.

93Prostar190
04-06-2010, 11:17 PM
Hydro locking .... let's not go there yet .... common ground connection towards the rear of the block? how is that?

slickwater1
04-06-2010, 11:22 PM
perfect. absolutely no corrosion. That is what I don't understand, all the cables look great, and connections good.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-06-2010, 11:24 PM
My boat is too old to have it but I know the kill switch can cause problems. You might temporarily bypass it to see if that is the problem.

slickwater1
04-06-2010, 11:27 PM
guys the boat has power to the starter and it will turn over. just won't spend over fast enough to fire. going to pull plugs tomorrow and see if water in cylinders,

thatsmrmastercraft
04-06-2010, 11:33 PM
Check your oil too. If you are locking it you should see some water there showing up as increased level or a frothy white milkshake.

When running in the driveway, are you using a fake-a-lake?

slickwater1
04-06-2010, 11:35 PM
yeah and no milk in the oil. it is really got me puzzled. i guess the starter could be bad again. but never been wet. just don'tknow.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-06-2010, 11:43 PM
I would really check the kill switch.

slickwater1
04-06-2010, 11:44 PM
please explain what I would check though. It did it today on the fake a lake, turned the water off, put back in boat shed, fired right up, no water hooked to it.

loeweb
04-06-2010, 11:48 PM
don't kow if this will help, but I put the rotor on backwards when I switched over to electronic ignition. Boat would turn over fine and backfire every once in a while, switched the plug wires half over with the rotor, and ran fine. Make sure cap is tight, and resistor (if present) is not cracked.
When all else fails, call Richard or Vince at skidim. They have helped me out immensely over the years.

loeweb
04-06-2010, 11:48 PM
is the starter spinning backwards?

83SuperSlot
04-06-2010, 11:53 PM
I would also check the water pump....

east tx skier
04-06-2010, 11:58 PM
As much as the kill switch has been mentioned and as many times as I've seen it mentioned. I'll admit to swimming my boat toward the ramp this past weekend with a very frustrated look on my face before I shouted to my wife to check the kill switch.

Eureka! Long story short, I hadn't gotten it all the way back on when I'd pulled it to clear the water from my pump housing at winterization.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-07-2010, 12:00 AM
please explain what I would check though. It did it today on the fake a lake, turned the water off, put back in boat shed, fired right up, no water hooked to it.

A bad ign. switch or kill switch could give you intermittent high resistance/open circuit causing slow or no cranking. You can test either with a multi-meter.

TMCNo1
04-07-2010, 07:18 AM
slickwater1, if you follow the info in this thread you will be able to get your Guest status cleared up, http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=26931 (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=26931). Due to a log-in glitch when you joined, you show up in the Members List as a regular member, but your posts/threads show up as a Guest, therefore you can't Private Message among other features.

mayo93prostar
04-07-2010, 08:34 AM
Slick, you may think your battery cable connections are good but I recommend removing them from the engine block and starter relay and clean them up. also at the battery end. sometimes the cables inside the cable jacket get bad so you may try replacing the cables. You should also be able to take the starter to an auto parts store to be tested but it may work fine under no load. If it is turning over at all, it should not be the kill switch. I hate frustrating electrical problems...

JimN
04-07-2010, 08:55 AM
well boys my 93 prostar started having engine problems last year, thought it was the battery or starter, replaced both. boat cranks great most of the time. if you shut it off in the water or on the hose it seems to lock up somehow. the motor will just barely turn over. if it ever fires it does fine and will run like a top. any ideas on my starting problem?

Next time it does this, pull a few of the spark plugs. If it cranks more easily, your timing may be advanced too far. Have you checked the centrifugal advance weights and springs? They need to be free to move when the rotor spins.

If water shoots out, you're ingesting water, possibly from the exhaust manifolds rusting through and the water getting in through an open exhaust valve.

It could also be that your carb is leaking as it sits. Gas can drip into the manifold and make its way to the nearest cylinder- this causes it to flood and can make it hard to crank.

Does it ever 'run on' after shutting it down? If it does, you're running hot and the timing/spark plugs may need checking. If it runs on, it may be cranking backward at the end and this will often cause water to be drawn into the motor. Mercruiser has had problems with this and if you have a lot of ballast at the rear, the difference between the waterline and the height of the exhaust riser isn't sufficient to keep water out.

slickwater1
04-07-2010, 02:50 PM
i have emailed phil for the change in status. timing is perfect. carb is not leaking down, does not run after shutting off. i am convinced it is water but will pull the plugs and hook up water to it and see if i am getting water in the cylinders. thanks for the help guys, i'll keep you posted on the progress.

JimN
04-07-2010, 03:06 PM
i have emailed phil for the change in status. timing is perfect. carb is not leaking down, does not run after shutting off. i am convinced it is water but will pull the plugs and hook up water to it and see if i am getting water in the cylinders. thanks for the help guys, i'll keep you posted on the progress.

For what you want to find out, I would do this on the water, not the trailer.

slickwater1
04-08-2010, 10:57 AM
just seeing if my account is right now.