PDA

View Full Version : Total RIPOFF !!!!!!!!!!!

atlfootr
04-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Just called Hewlett Packard for a hinge bracket replacement part on my printer ....
150 bucks === it's a plastic hinge for crying out loud!

Total RIPOFF :mad::mad::mad::mad:
Not to mention that my call was routed to HP's Service Center located in Costa Rica

Dbuck
04-06-2010, 12:44 PM
I sent my daughter's laptop in for an estimate on screen replacement--$750 plus shipping!!!

We go a new screen from an Ebay dealer for $150 and my son installed. Works perfectly.

Sodar
04-06-2010, 12:48 PM
Printers are a dime a dozen and almost to the point they are a consumable item.

With that said, get the part number of the plastic piece and search for it with Google. I just found a replacement tray for a commercial fax machine we have for 1/8 the cost the MFG wanted.

Double D
04-06-2010, 12:49 PM
I sent my daughter's laptop in for an estimate on screen replacement--$750 plus shipping!!!

We go a new screen from an Ebay dealer for $150 and my son installed. Works perfectly.

I picked up two brand new, very capable, Dell laptops for my kids for Xmas and paid $550 each. A $750 charge for replacement screen makes laptops a disposable commodity. :mad:

CantRepeat
04-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Just called Hewlett Packard for a hinge bracket replacement part on my printer ....

Total RIPOFF :mad::mad::mad::mad:
Not to mention that my call was routed to HP's Service Center located in Costa Rica

I paid 299 bucks for a lazer color printer that has a lan connector in it so everyone could finally print to the same printer.

HP wanted $600 bucks for a 96 meg memory chip for it. what the??

Jimmauburn
04-06-2010, 01:06 PM
That is how HP, Lexmark, Cannon, ETC. make their money. They will more or less give you the printer so they can sell you ink or laser drums for the printers. I am an IT Director and have to deal with all manufacturers on a daily basis and none are better than the others these days. Dell, HP, and others laptops are worth paying for any warranty they come with simply because replacement parts WILL COST TOP DOLLAR. Good Luck to all in the Technology industry these days !!!!!

FrankSchwab
04-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Technology industry?

Priced any replacement parts for your Ford recently? How about an ECM ($1000+ for a $50 PCB assembly)? How about something prosaic like an oil drain bolt ($20)?

Face it, no successful modern manufacturer wants you to fix anything. And they'll price the parts to make sure that you'll only do so if you really, really want to.

/frank

shepherd
04-06-2010, 03:05 PM

trickskier
04-06-2010, 07:15 PM

Total RIPOFF :mad::mad::mad:

Did you press 1 for English??? :rolleyes:

atlfootr
04-06-2010, 07:34 PM
I can't remember if it was 1 or 2, I was too :mad: about the price.

JimN
04-06-2010, 07:40 PM
Nobody wants to sell replacement parts- they want to sell complete units. This way, they don't need to buy so many parts to keep in their inventory. They have a hard enough time making a profit. Sorry, they have a hard enough time not pissing away money as it is.

bbymgr
04-07-2010, 12:37 AM
I paid 299 bucks for a lazer color printer that has a lan connector in it so everyone could finally print to the same printer.

HP wanted $600 bucks for a 96 meg memory chip for it. what the??

Did you just want a laser printer? You could have spent $80 on a print server and used any printer you wanted.

CantRepeat
04-07-2010, 06:25 AM
Did you just want a laser printer? You could have spent $80 on a print server and used any printer you wanted.

Yeah, its a color lazer at that.

And like someone already pointed out, $299 for a print, $500 for upgraded memory and the worst part, $100 bucks for toner and there are 4 of them.