PDA

View Full Version : Got the shaft, need some help

steve
04-05-2010, 12:26 PM
Well as luck will have it. First time out this year and I ran on some rock.
Messed up prop and shaft.
Where is the best place to get a replacement shaft and how hard is it to replace.
I have a 1988 Pro Star
Thanks for the help.
Steve

thatsmrmastercraft
04-05-2010, 12:29 PM
www.skidim.com carries most any part you will need for your boat, including your shaft. Eric at www.ojprops.com is the place to get your prop.

coz
04-05-2010, 12:30 PM
http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1011

steve
04-05-2010, 12:37 PM
Thanks
Anything special I going to need to replace the shaft. Tools, seals ect.
How hard of a job is it? Will it take more than one person?

Thanks
Steve

CantRepeat
04-05-2010, 01:18 PM
If you hit something hard enough to bend the shaft I would take a really close look at the strut as well. They bend as well.

You can also try elberts for underwater gear.

http://elberts.com/index.htm

thatsmrmastercraft
04-05-2010, 02:58 PM
Another great source for parts is your local MasterCraft Dealer. While many parts on an older boat are no longer available, there are still plenty your local dealer can offer.

learjet2230
04-06-2010, 10:50 AM
Steve,
Do you have Powerslot? Where are you located. Just did a shaft removal on my 88' with slot to put in a dripless packing and its a real beotch with a slot. Not a lot of room. By far the easiest way is to knock the prop off and take the strut off. Then de-couple the shaft at the trans and pull the shaft from inside the boat and work the coupler nut and removal on the bench. If you are getting a new coupler then you wont even have to deal with the removal of it. If your close to me I can help. Im in Dallas/ft.worth area.

steve
04-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the info.
No powerslot just 1 to 1.
Is there any way to tell if the strut is bent? It looks strait.

The weird thing about this is. I was going slow and ran on some rock, the boat almost came to a complete stop. I though for sure the prop was trashed. When I pulled the boat out of the water the prop blades where not rolled or chipped, the whole blade was bent. Never seen that before, kind of strange for as hard as I hit. Thought I was lucky. Pulled the prop off and the shaft is bent. Couldn’t believe it. I have ripped props apart and not bent the shaft. You would think if there were enough force to bend the shaft it would destroy the prop. Not the case here.

This is my second shaft since I bought the boat new in 88. I had the dealer replace the first one 10 years ago. Though I would do this one myself. I hate to say this but this is my 19th prop I messiest up in 22 years.

Thanks for the offer to help, but I am in Nashville TN.

Fasteddie
04-06-2010, 01:07 PM
I'm in Murfreesboro so I'd be glad to help when you are ready. I have some pullers but I don't have one for the prop. I've replaced the shaft (brass) on a CorrectCraft (old) a few years ago and it helps to have a second set of hands. I would change the shaft packing and cutlass bearing while you have it out.

Eddie

steve
04-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Eddie,
Great, email me so we can hook up. I would like to talk to you and pick your brain.
eccenergy@comcast.net
Thanks
Steve

TMCNo1
04-06-2010, 01:44 PM
Also try these people, http://www.inboardonline.com/, a lot of DIY links on their site.