PDA

View Full Version : Anchoring a Swim Platform Questions???

h2oskiluvr
04-04-2010, 11:15 AM
My friend and I have built a really nice 8' x 8' swim platform. I do not want to have it float away so I am hoping to get some advice on the best way to anchor it down.

One anchor or two? How much weight?

It is best to anchor it in the middle so it can rotate or should I anchor two corners?

Thanks in advance!

j2nh
04-04-2010, 12:22 PM
How deep is the water and what is the bottom made up of (sand, muck)?

I set up the anchor system for our jump and their is nothing worse than the pounding a jump takes.
Screw anchor is the best but you need a diver to install and the bottom has to be conducive to using one.
Try to stay away from concrete, it is filled with air so you get less bang for the buck. Engine block is the best.

What ever you use for the anchor I would recommend some kind of a bungy in the line between the anchor and platform. For our jump we used SHOCkLES on each anchor. They are short, maybe 3 foot, heavy duty shock cord that allows the wave energy to be dissipated rather than transferred directly to either the mounting point on the raft or the anchor. If tight either the anchor drags or the attachment point on the raft pulls out.

http://www.shockles.com/

h2oskiluvr
04-04-2010, 12:49 PM
The depth will be around 10'-15', it is a fairly steep drop off. The bottom is hard to describe. It is a loose type clay material. It is the strangest stuff. There are spots where you simply can not stand up because it just keeps cutting loose underneath you. So, it isn't a sandy bottom, it isn't a rocky bottom. I don't think a screw type anchor would hold though as the stuff is so loose.

Great thought on the snubber, I was thinking about doing something. We have huge wave action due to the wakeboard boats going by.

j2nh
04-04-2010, 01:09 PM
engine block might be the best. With some luck it will dig down in the bottom and never move. Make sure you have everything set before you drop it in. Case of beer and some friends and it could be fun. Just make sure the chain is not wrapped around anybody's leg when you drop the block.

What we did for our jump, and has worked really well under extreme conditions, is drove 1# galvanized pipe with a well point on the end, from a row boat. Pipe comes in 10' sections and when we got the first 10 foot all the way down we backed off on the coupling and put a cap with an eyebolt through it. Attached the 4' shockles and then ran crossed lines to the four corners of the jump. Jump has not moved in 4 years. Each Spring I dive down and inspect and so far nothing is moving or bent.