PDA

View Full Version : How Empty is Empty?

Double D
04-03-2010, 11:27 PM
Took the boat (1994 PS 205) out for the first time this year on Friday night. Started with only a half tank of gas on purpose so that I could run out most of the old gas before I add my bottle of fuel additive because the engine is running rough and I am trying to rule out "water in the gas".

Anyway, I recently changed the fuel gauge and I know it needs minor adjustments, so we checked the tank every so often so we wouldn't run out. As we were heading back to the ramp it started to studder as I was running on a nose high plane. So I leveled out the boat thinking it wasn't picking up the fuel. I got it back to 50 yards from the ramp and it wouldn't start even though I had a good inch (1") in the bottom of the tank. :mad:

So even though I have gas in the tank the boat won't run and its acts like I am out of gas. Is this normal? :confused:

Thanks for any feedback!

JLeuck64
04-03-2010, 11:54 PM
Yup... same thing happened to me with only 6 gallons in the tank once. I had my tank out for some other repairs and figured putting in that amount of fuel should be good for a test run. Wrong! Others have mentioned that running below a 1/4 tank is a no no and I would tend to agree with them.

helton333
04-04-2010, 12:46 AM
i went with a reed style fuel sending unit from West Marine - you order it off the depth of the tank, instead of cutting it to fit like the cheaper ones. It is much more reliable, solid state - doesn't "bob" all over the place.

SkiDog
04-04-2010, 09:54 AM
Better get that new fuel pump ordered! Won't be long now before the original goes by the wayside.

coz
04-04-2010, 10:19 AM
Better get that new fuel pump ordered! Won't be long now before the original goes by the wayside.

Yep! sounds like you did the ultimate no no. Where have you been when all the fuel pump threads were posted? there's a s-load of them. If you have the in tank pump you're not supposed to let it go below 1/4 tank otherwise you'll burn the fuel pump.

ski_king
04-04-2010, 10:25 AM
Out of curiosity.... what year did MC go to in tank fuel pumps?

TMCNo1
04-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Out of curiosity.... what year did MC go to in tank fuel pumps?

Should have been on or around late 1992/early 1993 when they went to the EFI engines, starting with the LT1 and the TBI Indmar Chevy. That was the time when GM was willing to work with the marine industry to convert over to EFI, participate in the development of the computer programs, fuel delivery, testing to satisfy the Coast Guard and the NMMA and Ford didn't want to and basically lost the largest share of the marine engine market.
That's OK, Ford kept the RWD Crown Vic for the law enforcement market, when GM dropped the RWD Caprice/Impala for the Malibu law enforcement POS and now that Ford has dropped the Crown Vic, Chrysler has basically taken over the market with the RWD Dodge Charger Cop Car so the federal/state and local governments can keep their heads above water.

erkoehler
04-04-2010, 11:04 AM
2000 I believe

coz
04-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Chrysler has basically taken over the market with the RWD Dodge Charger Cop Car so the federal/state and local governments can keep their heads above water.

That's what they use out here, except I think sheriff Joe's is pink :D

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t119/mikespolicepatches2/Arizona/maricopacounty3.jpg

Kevin 89MC
04-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Mine will run out of gas when there is about 1" of gas left in the tank, due to the location of the fuel pickup. I think my tank is 25 gallons, but the most I usually get in is about 20-21, so it's essentially "empty" with about 4-5 gallons still in the tank. I'm old school, (carb & mecahnical fuel pump), so no harm done the one time I ran out. Hopefully your pump will be Ok, time will tell.
Good luck,
Kevin

cpaladino
04-05-2010, 12:01 PM
My 1995 205 has an out of tank fuel pump. It is located just behind the engine under the fuel filter. I don't know if not having fuel will hurt that pump as well but shouldn't be the heat issue with the in tank fuel pumps. PS if you do have to replace the Fuel pump it is an easy job took me about 1hr one night. Just make sure to turn the fuel off at the tank before you start working on it.

ahhudgins
04-05-2010, 12:14 PM
My 95 Maristar has the 350 with TBI and I have the in line fuel pump. Does anyone know if they used a different fuel pump set up on a V-Drive versus the direct drive? Have you filled the tank up and tried it again?

Thrall
04-08-2010, 06:26 PM
Double D,
I ran almost out in my 96 LT1, same fuel pump as the 94 TBI I believe. It stalled a couple times on hard turns after a long day of pulling every tuber in my company!:mad: (Oh well, I got out of work on a Tues for it!)
It sputtered twice, stalled once. When I filled it up, I got over 26 gal in my 31 gal tank, so definately can't run them down to the last couple gallons. On a good note, that was the first year I had the boat and the pump lasted another 300hrs, sold now, same pump.

Reminds me to get the spare fuel pump for my X2 to throw in the tool kit!

Chicago190
04-08-2010, 07:58 PM
Yep! sounds like you did the ultimate no no. Where have you been when all the fuel pump threads were posted? there's a s-load of them. If you have the in tank pump you're not supposed to let it go below 1/4 tank otherwise you'll burn the fuel pump.

No, it is only the new style fuel pumps that have the issue. No problems in 1994 with running it below 1/4 of a tank, other than the crap on the bottom of the tank that may clog your fuel filter.