PDA

View Full Version : Replacing steering cable on 2000 X-Star

g00doleb0y14
04-03-2010, 09:38 PM
I just purchased a 2000 X-Star and the steering is very tight so I had a mechanic look at it and he said that someone has put a new one in but did not follow the original path and it had lots of bends in it. My problem is I need to know the original path the cable took so I can replace it the correct way.

All help appreciated.

Rick.

Skipper
04-14-2010, 09:36 PM
Cannot tell you for sure, but from the rudder the cable runs through the bilge to the right side of the ski pylon. There is a hole that leads through the bulk head and up to the helm. From there it usually hugs the right side of the boat then bends toward the helm. Not too sure what the PO could have done to route it incorrectly? But it should run very straight through the bilge from the rudder.

ahhudgins
04-14-2010, 09:46 PM
Was this a Mastercraft "mechanic"? If he said it wasn't installed in the correct path, then he should be able to tell you. As already mentioned, it is a pretty straight shot from the rudder to the front, but there will have to be a bend in it to reach the box on the steering wheel. I only know from replacing a cable in my PS190 and my Maristar200. You may just have a bad cable which is a common problem. Maybe someone can be more specific on the cable route.

wjpbrand
04-20-2010, 10:46 AM
Will take pics tonight and post. Could you in return please post pics of your brake assembly front and rear. I need to do a complete overhaul on mine.
I got mine a week ago after being treated very badly in salt water.

wjpbrand
04-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Ok here goes.
Pic 1 is where it attaches to the rudder - no brainer there.
Pic 2 is just before the gearbox mount on the starboard side.
Pic 3 is after the gearbox mount
Pic 4 is front right corner of the fuel tank
Pic 5 is a closeip showing the cable

Pic 6 to 10 on the next post

wjpbrand
04-20-2010, 12:53 PM
continued

6 and seven was no good

Pic 8 shows the steering rack - the cable leaves the rack going towards the side of the boat and then turns to the front
Pic 9 shows where it goes through the bulkhead
Pic 10 taken from the front towards the bulkhead where the subwoofer is installed.
Pic 11 just taken a bit further away for a general arrangment
Pic 12 shown where it goes into the floor.

My steering is smooth with no problems.