PDA

View Full Version : Water Leaking from shaft seal

woobiedmd
04-03-2010, 09:16 AM
I pulled my '88 Prostar out of the garage and de-winterized it. The engine fired right up with the garden hose attached. However, water is coming out the bottom of the boat where the shaft exits. There is no water in the bilge. Is this normal? I am worried about going to the lake and having a problem. Any thoughts?
Mark

CantRepeat
04-03-2010, 09:32 AM
I pulled my '88 Prostar out of the garage and de-winterized it. The engine fired right up with the garden hose attached. However, water is coming out the bottom of the boat where the shaft exits. There is no water in the bilge. Is this normal? I am worried about going to the lake and having a problem. Any thoughts?
Mark

Are you running a dripless shaft kit? If so, could it be the water coming from the line into the dripless system running out of the back of the shaft onto the ground?

I'm not sure if this is how the dripless systems work as I don't have one.

Like this one.

http://www.skidim.com/images/21705.jpg

Skipper
04-03-2010, 09:58 AM
If there is no water in the bilge, then the water must be getting pumped into the shaft to a dripless seal.

woobiedmd
04-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Thanks, I do know the previous owner had installed such a set-up!
Mark

Thrall
04-03-2010, 12:55 PM
Thanks, I do know the previous owner had installed such a set-up!
Mark

Yup, freaked me out the first time I fired the X2 in the driveway. Never been around a dripless setup before and didn't know there was a source running to it from in the boat, thought it picked up water directly from the lake or something until I started poking around.

carracer
04-04-2010, 10:10 AM
Why does water run out the shaft seal, my dealer said not to worry that it was perfectly fine. My question is if water can run out why not in? I never saw this issue with my prostar.

Sodar
04-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Your old boat most likely did not have a dripless shaft seal. The new boats use water to lubricate the dripless seal. If you yank the floor out and look, the shaft seal has a water line running to it. Everything is normal.

Chicago190
04-04-2010, 10:26 AM
Why does water run out the shaft seal, my dealer said not to worry that it was perfectly fine. My question is if water can run out why not in? I never saw this issue with my prostar.

Actually, the reason why the wax packing rope on your old Prostar was replaced with the dripless shaft seal was that it did have the issue of water entering the boat.

carracer
04-04-2010, 12:50 PM
Your old boat most likely did not have a dripless shaft seal. The new boats use water to lubricate the dripless seal. If you yank the floor out and look, the shaft seal has a water line running to it. Everything is normal.

Thanks very much, I new that had to be it but hearing it from an experenced owner helped my O.C.D.

j2nh
04-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Excellent video on how to install and how a dripless shaft seal works, for the O.C.D. in all of us.

http://www.shaftseal.com/en/about/installation_videos