PDA

View Full Version : Heater source

jake
08-19-2004, 04:46 PM
I'm going to put a heater in my prostar. I noticed that JCWhitney sells the units quite a bit cheaper than DIM. Anyone know if the marine versions sold on DIM are different than the auto units from JCWitney?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductDisplay/s-10101/p-5029/c-10101

phecksel
08-19-2004, 09:27 PM
I highly doubt there is anything different. I took my old one apart to repair the leaky heater core. It's nothing more then an automotive heater core, with a simple Al sheet metal box, and a cheap small fan. I drilled out the rivets, pulled out the heater core, took it to the auto parts store and spent about 15 minutes going through their book. Finally found what they used was a late 80's Ford Van heater core. Save the money and buy me a beer :)

DanC
08-20-2004, 04:09 AM
I don't know how much they are different but for my first heater I built it from scratch using a Dodge van heater core, aluminum sheet metal, RV heater ducts and lots of duct tape. The next heater I built using a JC Whitney heater. Both worked just fine. Considering the cost of the JC Whitney heater, you may not be saving much by the time you add the cost of the water hose, hose fittings, vents and vent hose.

jake
08-20-2004, 10:54 AM
DanC: I was wondering that too. Maybe the marine version comes with everything you need to install it. If so, the extra $90 seems worth it to save head aches. Also, I haven't been able to locate the three vent, 40,000 BTU unit in the automotive version. I really want 3 vents.

jimmer2880
08-23-2004, 06:57 PM
I bought mine from skidim. Came with everything I needed except I added a shut-off valve. Everything. Even fittings I didn't need (for different size ports).

Also - the model you showed was a 28,000 BTU. I installed the 42,000 BTU and don't recommend anything less.

Before I bought - I researched through a buddy who owns a radiator shop. SKIDIM was cheaper than what he could buy one for that was made for tractor-trailers with fewer BTU's

just my .02 worth.

jimmer