PDA

View Full Version : Farewell Buckeyes, Hello Hoosiers

Ryan
03-30-2010, 09:17 AM
I'm moving again!

A few months ago I started passively looking at jobs that would get me back west from OH. So, I took a job in the Indianapolis area (it's a little bit west ;)). Maybe next time I'll go more than one state at a time. I'll be doing marketing for Jarden to run their Pine Mountain fire-log business.

So, no more nutrition bars, SXSW or LA film festival for me. Maybe I can start sponsoring the Burning Man festival in NV instead.:cool:

Double D
03-30-2010, 09:37 AM
I'm moving again!

A few months ago I started passively looking at jobs that would get me back west from OH. So, I took a job in the Indianapolis area (it's a little bit west ;)). Maybe next time I'll go more than one state at a time. I'll be doing marketing for Jarden to run their Pine Mountain fire-log business.

So, no more nutrition bars, SXSW or LA film festival for me. Maybe I can start sponsoring the Burning Man festival in NV instead.:cool:

Good luck with the new job and all that!! Once a Buckeye, always a Buckeye..... unless you came from somewhere else... :confused:

Are you moving somewhere near a lake?? Where were you in Ohio?

Sodar
03-30-2010, 09:58 AM
Glad to here you are slowly working your way back!

I'll take a few boxes of Pine Mountains!

P.S.- I know you were never a Buckeye... just a Trojan surrounded by them. ;)

Ryan
03-30-2010, 10:18 AM
I'm from UT/CA, but the infectious Buckeye phenomenon has been fun. Game days are the best for fall skiing :)...blasphemous I know.

I'm on the east side of Columbus. I will surely miss Griggs. I'm a big fan of narrow bodies of water for skiing, and it's one of only a handful of public lakes I know of in the country with a slalom course. I'm looking at the Fishers area of IN which is between two lakes. Hoosier Bob has set my expectiations low for finding smooth water though. But there are more convenient places than So CA. And the cost of living is more appealing.

captain planet
03-30-2010, 10:20 AM
I'm moving again!

A few months ago I started passively looking at jobs that would get me back west from OH. So, I took a job in the Indianapolis area (it's a little bit west ). Maybe next time I'll go more than one state at a time. I'll be doing marketing for Jarden to run their Pine Mountain fire-log business.

Best wishes Ryan, but you know.....nobody REALLY knows what a Hoosier is. :rolleyes:

Sodar, I'm not even sure where to take that. Since this is a family site, I'll leave the sleeping dog lying on that one. :D

Ryan
03-30-2010, 10:30 AM

I am certainly a Trojan fan, but I'm technically a 49'er until I get the acceptance letter to Purdue/IUPUI. Their PT/Exec MBA programs were a huge part of my decision. I've put it off long enough. OSU is great, but their programs and the crazy hours in my current job don't match.

shepherd
03-30-2010, 10:59 AM

I thought the Trojans surrounded the "Buckeyes" :rolleyes:

Sodar, I'm not even sure where to take that. Since this is a family site, I'll leave the sleeping dog lying on that one. :D

You have more discipline than me. :D

Ryan
03-30-2010, 11:26 AM
Anyone else on the site from Indy other than HoosierBob and Leroy (who's long been MIA)?

I did a little research on Hoosiers and like what a Hoosier is defined as, but find it funny there are so many explanations on the origin of the name. But a tree nut never made a lot of sense for me as a mascott. And if I go to Purdue I'll be a Boilermaker. I wonder what the meetings were like when these mascotts were chosen vs other metaphoric, aspirational icons.

trickskier
03-30-2010, 06:30 PM

I thought the Trojans surrounded the "Buckeyes" :rolleyes:

I thought trojans prevented future "Luckeyes" 8p:rolleyes:

trickskier
03-30-2010, 06:38 PM
OBTW --- Congratulations and best of luck Ryan! :D

Footin
03-30-2010, 07:24 PM
Best of luck Ryan, guess I will have to find a new third.

Double D
03-30-2010, 08:14 PM

We might be able to help out.... Know of any place between Massillon and Columbus, either route 30 down 71, down 77 across 70, or somewhere in the middle?? :)

Ryan
03-30-2010, 08:20 PM
Mike-thanks for some great ski runs and hang out time. You're a good ski partner. Come to think of it we had good times on 3/4 lakes here. I can't wait for the lakes to warm up - I owe you a few pulls when I come back on weekends.

Ryan
07-22-2010, 09:51 PM
Wow, where did the past 4 months go? We are finally in contract on our house in OH with a home inspection on Fri. Fingers crossed it goes well for us. Then we're onto a mad home search in the Indy area. I found a a house on a private ski lake that I really want to push for...but it's a bit out in the corn fields and I should balance for schools, shopping, freeway access etc over skiing every morning right???
Anyone have friends on Champion Lake?

http://indianawaterski.org/photogallery/2009/champion/champion.htm

Double D
07-22-2010, 10:25 PM
Wow, where did the past 4 months go? We are finally in contract on our house in OH with a home inspection on Fri. Fingers crossed it goes well for us. Then we're onto a mad home search in the Indy area. I found a a house on a private ski lake that I really want to push for...but it's a bit out in the corn fields and I should balance for schools, shopping, freeway access etc over skiing every morning right???
Anyone have friends on Champion Lake?

http://indianawaterski.org/photogallery/2009/champion/champion.htm

NOT!! Go for the lake house!! No IF's, AND's or BUT's!!

Ryan
07-22-2010, 10:36 PM
It's amazing that I finally have the chance get a house that can be our regular residence, and who knows if it will happen again when I move back west in 4 years or so. I'm scheduling a showing on Sat. We'll see. I have found two ski clubs that would get me some of the same perks as a dirt cheap alternative ~$250/yr for the fam.

Plus, I have a co-worker that offered the use of his slip for the summer on Geist reservoir. Oh, the choices.

Slinkyredfoot
07-23-2010, 08:40 AM
What part of Indy are you moving? I live on the northside, was skiing on Geist Wed nite, shallow reservoir and crowded on weekends.

dstone124
07-23-2010, 09:46 AM
Champion is a pretty nice site- a little shallow, but soft water. Some good calliber skiiers up their. You're searching the right site to find new places to ski. IWSA and it's affiliated clubs are always looking for a few good members. I say welcome! I moved to Indy almost (3) years ago and have since joined Indy Skier's on the white river. Good group of guys, nice course when the waters right, centrally located, and very affordable.
Feel free to PM me for a pull. Otherwise, check out our FB page or club site, www.indyskiers.com We host a Thursday night training series sponsored by N3 Boatworks which provides us a Nautique for the evening. 5PM to dusk. Otherwise the Monday night league which has been rotating sites this year is also a great way to check out other venues.

Hope to see you on the water soon!

Ryan
07-25-2010, 11:46 PM
dstone - how is the water quality on the white river? I drove by the course one at 6am one morning to check it out and the water looked kinda nasty. It won't stop me - not sure if my wife would brave it.

Unfortunately the Champions house sold. So now I'll be look into Indyski and Muncie ski clubs. Does Indy enforce the spotter req?

I brought my ski out and would love to take you up on a pull.

Ryan
07-25-2010, 11:51 PM
What part of Indy are you moving? I live on the northside, was skiing on Geist Wed nite, shallow reservoir and crowded on weekends.
I'm only looking in Fishers since my office is near Anderson. let me know if you need a third.

I'll be bouncing around until we buy a place, and my apt lease ends next week.

Ryan
08-26-2010, 10:52 AM
The shopping is over. Unfortunately the lake house closed back in the end of May. So, I finally found a house in Fishers instead. It won't be done until Dec though, but worth the wait to get what we want. We'll see how the kids do downsizing to an apartment 1/3 the size of our OH house for the next few months. More challenging is how well my wife will do with surprise child #4 on the way. But we'll be in the new place by Christmas.

I'm going to check out the open ski night. I was downtown last week and stopped by and met a few guys - this time I'm bringing my ski gear.

Footin
08-26-2010, 05:20 PM
Child number 4??????? You really need to buy my 205 now!

Great news Ryan.

Ryan
08-27-2010, 09:13 AM
I guess we ought to slow down otherwise I might find myself in need of an even bigger boat. I'm already enough of a hack skier, a X25 would really slow down my progress.

blakehardesty
08-27-2010, 11:08 AM
Im in rochester, on lake manitou. Water is not bad. Has a course (private one but owned by a good friend) 45 miles or so north.