PDA

View Full Version : 1988 Prostar 190 Restortion

Fasteddie
03-29-2010, 10:38 PM
Viper Customs is the place to take any boat that could use a little love. Jim and the team had our MasterCraft for the winter. She went in with bad upholstery, worn and torn carpet, a nice but somewhat faded hull, and a leaky transmission. We picked her up last week and she looks good as new. I'm a picky guy and usually do all the work myself because I can rarely find anyone to do it to my standards. Jim takes his time and the whole crew clearly takes pride in their work. We tried to stay faithful to the original upholstery but upgraded the carpet for both future wear and comfort (the old red/black carpet was very hot when out on the lake for the day). We couldn't be happier with the care they gave our old girl and we're confident she's good for another 22 years. Thanks to Jim and all at Viper customs for the wonderful work.

DemolitionMan
03-29-2010, 10:44 PM
That look's really good.:)

justinglow
03-29-2010, 11:05 PM
Good looking boat there!

Monte
03-29-2010, 11:34 PM
That looks great!!

thatsmrmastercraft
03-29-2010, 11:48 PM
Very nice work. :cool:

Luv2Ski
03-30-2010, 12:09 AM
My 88 Prostar is scheduled for drop-off at Viper next week to get a new interior - so hearing your praise is music to my ears.

It is a small world too, Jim sent me some pictures of your interior while it was in process a few weeks ago. It was those pictures of your boat that sealed the deal and got me to commit to the 4.5 hour drive from my house to his shop! He tells me pictures of that carbon fiber vinyl just don't do it justice I really like the way you stayed true to the old lines but also modernized the look.

Do you have any tips for me going into the process.... things you would have done differently in hind sight?

Great looking boat hope you enjoy her for years to come

coz
03-30-2010, 09:21 AM
Great job, that boat looks awesome.

ttu
03-30-2010, 09:23 AM
wow, looks great! enjoy your "new" ride:D

Fasteddie
03-30-2010, 10:23 AM
Luv, I don't think I would do anything differently. My biggest issue with the old interior was the burgandy carpeting heating up in the sun. I originally thought that I could just replace some of the interior but it just wouldn't have matched well. I did add four pop-up cleats (I think you can see one in the first picture) so I can attach the bumpers without tying them to the hand rails. If Jim spots something that needs attention he'll let you know.
Here is a picture Jim sent me of the drivers seat. I think it shows the carbon fiber vinyl well.

LaRue
03-30-2010, 11:14 AM
that boat looks really, really nice! Should be a great summer.

Kevin 89MC
03-30-2010, 11:59 AM
Wow, that looks awesome! I like the pop up cleats too, I may have to look into that. I love the upolstery, a modern take on the original theme. Is the "MasterCraft" in the observer's seat embroidered? Very cool!
Kevin

Muttley
03-30-2010, 04:48 PM
Gorgeous!!

Starshack
03-30-2010, 05:04 PM
I know it is a tacky question but I have a 1989 in similar condition - can you give a ballpark of the restoration cost? Was the hull painted or just wet sanded/compounded etc? The boat looks brand new - whatever the cost you got a quality job.

helton333
03-30-2010, 05:43 PM
From the pics, I can tell that's the Ugliest house across the street I have ever seen in my life. How can you live next door to a house like that? I bet that guy has a 1972 Polar Craft with pressure treated wake tower.

I'd move if I were you.

JJMorris3
03-30-2010, 06:02 PM
Does anyone know if there is someone in or near Austin that does this type of work at this level of quality? Let me know! Your boat looks GREAT. Nice job.

jasonba1
03-30-2010, 06:24 PM
hey fasteddie I happened to be at jims shop when you first dropped it off and met you and your wife very very nice people. Man your boat looks awesome love the carbon fiber but still has the original look. I have a 88 prostar at jims right now i may have to steal some of your ideas ha ha. Congrats again it looks awesome

jasonba1
03-30-2010, 06:29 PM
also like the black hand rails never thought about powder coating those but that looks great

thatsmrmastercraft
03-30-2010, 06:32 PM
Viper Customs is the place to take any boat that could use a little love. Jim and the team had our MasterCraft for the winter. She went in with bad upholstery, worn and torn carpet, a nice but somewhat faded hull, and a leaky transmission. We picked her up last week and she looks good as new. I'm a picky guy and usually do all the work myself because I can rarely find anyone to do it to my standards. Jim takes his time and the whole crew clearly takes pride in their work. We tried to stay faithful to the original upholstery but upgraded the carpet for both future wear and comfort (the old red/black carpet was very hot when out on the lake for the day). We couldn't be happier with the care they gave our old girl and we're confident she's good for another 22 years. Thanks to Jim and all at Viper customs for the wonderful work.

Beautiful work. I was drooling over the pictures and thought the only thing that could make it better would be one of the cool pylons from MBD, though I imagine your budget pretty much got used up an all the great work.

Fasteddie
03-30-2010, 09:47 PM
Helton ... which ugly house are you talking about? Yours? And, it's a 1973 Polar Craft (amateur). I helped him with the pressure treated wake tower ... it's a work of art.

Fasteddie
03-30-2010, 10:05 PM
Kevin, the "MasterCraft" on the observers seat was dyed or painted. Never thought about having it embroidered, I wonder if they can do that?

Jason, I think I saw your 88 sitting outside when I picked my boat up. The shop was full of boats.
It was Jim's idea to powder coat the rails. I was thinking of painting them but the powder coat is much more durable.

Starshack, give Jim a call and he can give you a ballpark figure. The hull was buffed and waxed by Viper. I though I did a good job buffing it last year but they did an incredible job.

TMCNo1
03-30-2010, 10:11 PM
Very, very nice job on bring it back to life!

bxroads
03-30-2010, 10:39 PM
Where is Viper Custom located?

Fasteddie
03-30-2010, 10:56 PM
Viper Customs
5820 US Hwy 411 South
Maryville, TN 37801 call: 865-388-4096
fax: 865-381-1235
info@vipercustoms.com

Boat Detailing
Boat Repair
Interiors and Canvas
Fiberglass Repair
Complete Restoration Services Available
Wake Board Towers and Accessories

Patsfan
03-31-2010, 07:34 AM
Sweet ride. They did a great job. Tennessee must be a hot bed of talant.
I have my 87 ProStar at Leading Edge, they have completly brought back the flake,re gel coated the dash, new cables, sound system,blinged the motor,carpet and interior. Should wrap up in a couple weeks.
The clasics will be in force this summer!!!:D

jasonba1
03-31-2010, 09:16 AM
hey fasteddie and kevin I am almost 100 percent positive the mastercraft logo is embrodiered

Patsfan
04-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Jim uses the same person that the factory does for there imbroidery.

atlfootr
04-08-2010, 09:45 AM

Fasteddie
04-12-2010, 03:33 PM
Jason and Patsfan, you are correct, the logo is embroidered. My mistake.

jasonba1
04-12-2010, 07:56 PM
looks great gave me alot of ideas love the new and original look mine should be done in about 3 weeks I had a lot to do to my prostar as soon as viper gets done Ill post some pics. You saw my boat outside fasteddie it has long ways to go to come anywhere close to your but I am very confident in viper

bonk78
08-24-2012, 01:16 PM
What speakers did you put in? They look pretty sweet. I have a 1989 Prostar 190 and the original Babb speakers are completely shot. I don't want to cut huge holes in the boat to put bigger ones in.

Nice looking boat!