PDA

View Full Version : Bring Back To Showroom Look

Kren
03-29-2010, 09:04 AM
Need some input on the best method to bring my hull back to perfect. My X15 is 2 seasons old although the hull is in relatively perfect shape, I still have the small scratches and imperfetions that go along with washing, waxing, and general use. I would like to understand what any of you would specifically recommend in the way of products and steps to bring it back to perfection. Thanks in advance.

erkoehler
03-29-2010, 09:08 AM
How bad are the scratches, do they go thru the colored portion of the gelcoat?

Any dealer can order you a patch paste kit that is color matched to your Hull. I think they run either $30 or $40.

Kren
03-29-2010, 09:24 AM
Sorry, I should have been a bit more elaborate on the scratches. They are NOT thru the color. Only on the surface. My assumption would be that all I need is some type of polish and wax treatment...no fills are needed. I have heard positive things about the 3M Marine High Gloss Gel but have not used it.

JohnE
03-29-2010, 09:24 AM
Search the forum and you'll find lots of advice on buffing the gel to take out minor scratches. And wet sanding for deeper scratches. That'll take care of anyting that isn't through the gel coat that Eric mentioned.

erkoehler
03-29-2010, 09:36 AM
We also use a product by Malcolm called TruGrit to remove light scratches. That would be followed by a wax/polishing compound.

Kyle
03-29-2010, 03:52 PM
I use 3m rubbing compound and then come back over it with a product called Finness it using a High speed buffer with a cutting pad and then a polishing pad for Finness it. I follow that with a wax by hand.

I have had some scratches that would not come out by compound and had to wet sand it with 800, then 1000, followed by 1200. Then I started the compound and Finess it, finally finishing the area with wax. It takes a while but if you are dealing with surface scratches they will come out. Make sure you sand a bigger area than just the scratch and blend everything in. If not you will have a really shiny new spot and you can tell where you buffed the area. It will look newer than the rest.

Thrall
03-29-2010, 03:59 PM
I use 3m rubbing compound and then come back over it with a product called Finness it using a High speed buffer with a cutting pad and then a polishing pad for Finness it. I follow that with a wax by hand.

I have had some scratches that would not come out by compound and had to wet sand it with 800, then 1000, followed by 1200. Then I started the compound and Finess it, finally finishing the area with wax. It takes a while but if you are dealing with surface scratches they will come out. Make sure you sand a bigger area than just the scratch and blend everything in. If not you will have a really shiny new spot and you can tell where you buffed the area. It will look newer than the rest.

Almost exactly what I do. Same products/procedure, except I'll start with 400 or 600 sometimes depending on how deep the scratches are.

"If not you will have a really shiny new spot and you can tell where you buffed the area. It will look newer than the rest"
hahahaha. That's what my 190 looked like after I gelled in a couple scratches....too lazy to do a bigger area. Besides, the guy that bought it couldn't find the repair until I showed him!:D
He was concerned over the phone about the repair and I told him if he thought it looked bad, I'd re-do it for him and deliver the boat. When he looked at the boat, he asked where teh scratches were fixed? Told him to look for them and if he couldn't find them, I'd show him!

The X2 needs a little minor buffing/polishing, mainly where the cover scratched it. Guess I'd better restock on swirl remover!
BTW, if anyone finds a polish called "Liquid Ebony", but it! That stuff is great. Can go right from a deep/med cut compound to swirl free polish with one product. Haven't been able to find it for many years though.