PDA

View Full Version : Birthday surprise

ahhudgins
03-28-2010, 04:38 PM
I started the boat up last weekend for the first time this year and had planned on installing my tune up parts this weekend, but my wife told me that she had made plans for the weekend since it was my birthday. To my surprise, she got tickets to a NHRA event in NC because she knew I've always wanted to see the top fuel dragsters in person. This track runs 4 cars at a time, so if you think that two 8000 HP cars are loud, four are freaking awesome! This is the first time my wife and I have spent a weekend away since we've had kids (21 years) but we promised to take them along next time. I'm thinking about doing a motor swap in my boat now.

scott023
03-28-2010, 04:50 PM
That's an awesome deal. Good for you and kudos to your wife. Have you got anymore pics?

ahhudgins
03-28-2010, 05:17 PM
I guess I'll keep her!;)

scott023
03-28-2010, 05:20 PM
I've always wanted to get to one of those... you're a lucky man. My wife wouldn't but tickets for something like that in a million years. :D

ahhudgins
03-28-2010, 05:33 PM
We watched qualifying on Friday and Saturday but we didnít even go to the track on Sunday (finals) because it was raining. The last run Friday was under the lights and it was about 40 degrees. Saturday was perfect. Got to see Schumacher do a 319 MPH, 4.8 second run. Only mishap was two funny cars blew their top ends off at the same time going down the track.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-28-2010, 05:51 PM
Wow - what an awesome time and wife! :cool:

trickskier
03-28-2010, 05:59 PM
Great Pics thanks for sharing!!! :D

ahhudgins
04-13-2010, 08:20 PM
I've always wanted to get to one of those... you're a lucky man. My wife wouldn't but tickets for something like that in a million years. :D

My wife has no interest in getting behind a boat or watching drag racing. She got the tickets for me, but SHE is the one who wants to go back in Sept. I had an idea of how loud they are by watching them on TV, but it's nothing like being there in person. It shakes every bone in your body. My wife was very excited by the horsepower. So my advice: Take your wife to a top fuel drag race! ;)

Hrkdrivr
04-14-2010, 12:12 AM
8000hp in each car?!? Seriously??? Wow.

I've never seen 4 at a time, that's pretty cool...thanks for the pics!

piper_chuck
04-14-2010, 06:58 AM
You can see something similar on water in July:
July 23, 24 & 25 Thunder at Oak Hallow, High Point NC

This pic was from San Angelo, Tx in 2008, top fuel hydro:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=210&pictureid=1358

McDye
04-14-2010, 08:45 AM
Wow...four dragster on a run..bet that shuck the stands...It is pretty amazing to watch them rebuild motor/clutch in between runs..

ahhudgins
04-14-2010, 01:11 PM
You can see something similar on water in July:
July 23, 24 & 25 Thunder at Oak Hallow, High Point NC

This pic was from San Angelo, Tx in 2008, top fuel hydro:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=210&pictureid=1358

Thanks for the info. I will definitely check into that, pretty close to home (VA)

piper_chuck
04-14-2010, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the info. I will definitely check into that, pretty close to home (VA)
You're welcome. I saw you were from VA so I posted the info about the NC one. For others reading the thread, there are races around the country. When I went to the one in Tx I was able to experience something similar to what you described, everything was shaking when the top fuel hydros made their runs. It was pretty amazing seeing boats go by so fast.

ahhudgins
04-14-2010, 05:10 PM
You're welcome. I saw you were from VA so I posted the info about the NC one. For others reading the thread, there are races around the country. When I went to the one in Tx I was able to experience something similar to what you described, everything was shaking when the top fuel hydros made their runs. It was pretty amazing seeing boats go by so fast.

Just in case anyone else is interested, here is the link for Oak Hollow. All the ticket info is there. We could bring in all of our own food and drinks to the NHRA event, we found that out after spending $6 for a hamburger and $2 for a can drink the first day. No outside food or beverages allowed at the boat races :(. I guess that's why the ticket prices are so low.

ahhudgins
04-14-2010, 05:38 PM
Sorry.
http://www.highpointjaycees.org/index.php/oak-hollow-boat-drags