PDA

View Full Version : Installed New Carb... got questions

hz900
03-26-2010, 11:25 PM
So I swapped out the 4010 for a new 4160. The question I have is there was what looked like a vacuum hose going from the 4010 to the fuel pump. The 4160 has a vacuum outlet in the same location but it is much smaller. I cannot get a smaller hose because then it will not fit on the fuel pump end. Has anyone that has done this swap run into this problem?

The guy at the speed shop said to just cap it off it did nothing but he didn't seem to know jack about anything marine so I don't trust that.

Cloaked
03-26-2010, 11:31 PM
So I swapped out the 4010 for a new 4160. The question I have is there was what looked like a vacuum hose going from the 4010 to the fuel pump. The 4160 has a vacuum outlet in the same location but it is much smaller. I cannot get a smaller hose because then it will not fit on the fuel pump end. Has anyone that has done this swap run into this problem?

The guy at the speed shop said to just cap it off it did nothing but he didn't seem to know jack about anything marine so I don't trust that.Have a look see here (possibly) or call them up on Monday.
http://www.holley.com/types/Marine%204%20Bbl%20Performance.asp

Folks at Skidim are also very knowledgable but do not open until Monday. (www.skidim.com (http://www.skidim.com/))

TMCNo1
03-27-2010, 07:36 AM

The guy at the speed shop said to just cap it off it did nothing but he didn't seem to know jack about anything marine so I don't trust that.

There normally is a clear hose that goes from the fuel pump to the flame arrestor in case the diaphram of the fuel pump starts leaking and the leaking fuel out of the fuel pump will then go thru the tube to the carb and be burnt and not into the bilge to prevent an explosion. The flame arrestor has the same size tube to accept the clear line.

Hammer
03-27-2010, 10:11 AM

I would use a reducer to get to the correct size. But I'm no expert.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-27-2010, 02:24 PM
There normally is a clear hose that goes from the fuel pump to the flame arrestor in case the diaphram of the fuel pump starts leaking and the leaking fuel out of the fuel,pump will then go thru the tube to the carb and be burnt and not into the bilge to prevent an explosion. The flame arrestor has the same size tube to accept the clear line.

Heed these words from this man. Blowing up your boat would put a real damper on your day. Especially when you are sitting 12 inches from the engine.

hz900
03-30-2010, 12:14 PM
There normally is a clear hose that goes from the fuel pump to the flame arrestor in case the diaphram of the fuel pump starts leaking and the leaking fuel out of the fuel pump will then go thru the tube to the carb and be burnt and not into the bilge to prevent an explosion. The flame arrestor has the same size tube to accept the clear line.

OK I found it. Apparently on the 4160 the hookup is on the opposite side from the 4010. I was just looking in the wrong place. I assume that the other side tube should be capped off. There is no hose to hook to it.

TMCNo1
03-30-2010, 12:33 PM
OK I found it. Apparently on the 4160 the hookup is on the opposite side from the 4010. I was just looking in the wrong place. I assume that the other side tube should be capped off. There is no hose to hook to it.

The flame arrestor should have a tube that accepts the clear sight line from the fuel pump, not the carb. Some/most of the marine carbs, for whatever reason, have a tube up near the top on the post side that has a cap/plug on it, that otherwise may be used for a vacuum line in a automotive street application. The PCV Valve should go to the base at the rear of the carb, it is the only other line besides the fuel line that attaches directly to the carb.
Here is your 4160 Marine Holley, port and starboard views,
Here is the 4160 with universal mount fuel line inlet that is on the port side of the front bowl and in this pic you can see the vacuum line or whatever it is, just above the bowl connector tube under the flame arrestor rim and it is not capped/plugged,

hz900
03-30-2010, 01:27 PM
Here is the 4160 with universal mount fuel line inlet that is on the port side of the front bowl and in this pic you can see the vacuum line or whatever it is, just above the bowl connector tube under the flame arrestor rim and it is not capped/plugged,

Thats the exact place I plugged it into, maybe I was using the wrong terminology. Thanks for the info. I'm waiting until Wednesday when the braided line with fittings comes in to test it. The speed shop didn't have the right size fittings in stock and had to order them.

I'll post back how she runs.