PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new car!

Hammer
03-24-2010, 09:57 AM
Well its time for a new to me car. Its not going to be our primary car. I have a work truck and the wife has a car that she drives to work. We currently have the dreaded minivan. We have had it for over 5 years and its time to move on. We don't want another minivan and don't want a SUV and crossovers just aren't big enough and they are basically minivans anyway. The criteria for our purchase is its got to be roomy, fit three kids in the back, and have a fun to drive factor. Been looking around and there is not much out there that fits the bill. One I am considering is the Dodge Charger SRT8, and the Chrysler 300 SRT8. There are several out there on the market around $25,000, plus or minus a couple grand. What do you guys think? Any other options I should consider?

Monte
03-24-2010, 10:24 AM
Are you looking brand new or used?

ski/hunt
03-24-2010, 10:41 AM
I know you said no suv but the Acura mdx is fast, fun drive, safe, has third row seating availabe if you need it, oh ya did I mention FAST!!

Forrest-X45
03-24-2010, 06:13 PM
How much money do you want to spend? You mentioned around $25K for the Charger and 300, is that your range?

I don't think you would be happy with the Charger or 300 in the long run if you are looking for something fun and sporty. The 6.1L Hemi is a good but the rest of the car....yawn.
How about a used Caddy CTS or CTS-V? I heard nothing but great things about them and know two friends with them. One with a 2008 CTS and loves it and the other with the CTS-V and that thing is a rocket and handles.
What about a BMW 5 series? E39 body style - MY2000-2005.....a 540i sport package with a six speed. Oh what a great fun car......the ultimate family sports sedan. There is a super clean one for sale out here in Seattle, it is a looong way from you but what about a fun cross country drive this spring?

brucemac
03-24-2010, 06:17 PM
hey forrest, you getting settled in? warm weather around the corner!

hope all is well-

Forrest-X45
03-24-2010, 06:25 PM
hey forrest, you getting settled in? warm weather around the corner!

hope all is well-

Hey Bruce- it is pretty dang warm today. ;) Looking forward to getting on the water very soon. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks. See ya on the lake....

Shaun315
03-24-2010, 07:09 PM
I second the MDX, not as big as a full size SUV (Tahoe or Yukon), but still fun to drive and roomy. As far as cars I think you're looking in the right direction with the SRT8 Charger... Otherwise the BMW or Caddy would be nice, might be able to find one used in your price range.

Hey Bruce- it is pretty dang warm today. ;) Looking forward to getting on the water very soon. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks. See ya on the lake....

Glad to see I'm not the only one getting spring fever in the PNW...

Hammer
03-24-2010, 11:18 PM
Are you looking brand new or used?

Used for now.

Hammer
03-24-2010, 11:24 PM
How much money do you want to spend? You mentioned around $25K for the Charger and 300, is that your range?

I don't think you would be happy with the Charger or 300 in the long run if you are looking for something fun and sporty. The 6.1L Hemi is a good but the rest of the car....yawn.
How about a used Caddy CTS or CTS-V? I heard nothing but great things about them and know two friends with them. One with a 2008 CTS and loves it and the other with the CTS-V and that thing is a rocket and handles.
What about a BMW 5 series? E39 body style - MY2000-2005.....a 540i sport package with a six speed. Oh what a great fun car......the ultimate family sports sedan. There is a super clean one for sale out here in Seattle, it is a looong way from you but what about a fun cross country drive this spring?

Gonna check out a CTS-V have always liked them, just never considered it. May check out a Bemmer, upkeep is a little steep with them.

Hammer
03-24-2010, 11:25 PM
Forgot to mention I've got three kids that have got to fit in the back.

shepherd
03-25-2010, 10:58 AM
1969 Cadillac convertible. End of story. :cool:

rsmith_5568
03-25-2010, 11:14 AM
I just went through the buying process. The thing you need to do is go out and drive everything in your price range that you can find. You should even try the crossover suv you might be suprised!! Then and only then drive the CTS save best for last. It is an awesome car that has all the bells and whistles with a little feel of the road!! Have fun with it and remember no salesperson has a one of a kind car!!

90 Maristar
03-25-2010, 12:38 PM
I know you said you don't want an SUV, but we bought a Tahoe for our third car and use it for weekend getaways. This Sat. we are driving four hours to an amusement park and four hours back that night. Kids love it, second row heated captain chairs and third row bench. The wife and I take turns, climb in the back and watch a netflix movie with them. Talk about a comfortable ride. I have an older Tahoe for going back and forth to work and they are like night and day. If you have not been in one lately, give it a try. I think a 2007 will be in that range. For an extra 5k splurge for the LTZ, it's worth it.

tex
03-25-2010, 01:14 PM
Forgot to mention I've got three kids that have got to fit in the back.

Get a truck...the bed will hold at least 3 kids!

Forrest-X45
03-25-2010, 04:25 PM
Gonna check out a CTS-V have always liked them, just never considered it. May check out a Bemmer, upkeep is a little steep with them.

Yup - can't argue with BMW's being on the more expensive side for up keep but if you do they will last forever. Where people get in trouble with them is when they delay or fail to perfom the routine maintanence. But I guess that could be said for any car or boat....
I mentioned the 5 series instead of the 3 series because of the backseat space for your kids and you probably don't have enough grey hair for a 7 series. ;)

bcampbe7
03-25-2010, 05:56 PM
2010 Ford Taurus

Hammer
03-26-2010, 12:27 PM
1969 Cadillac convertible. End of story. :cool:

Thanks shep, but I already have a boat!

Ski-me
03-26-2010, 01:59 PM
http://winslowbmw.com/Pre-Owned-Inventory-BMW/2001_BMW_5_Series_Colorado_Springs_WBSDE934X1BZ982 91.aspx

2001 M5 - $27,000

http://www.motortrend.com/av/roadtests/112_0905_cadillac_cts_v_bmw_m5_drag_race_video/index.html

M5 vs. CTS video.....

Hammer
03-27-2010, 12:16 AM
Well the CTS-V is just too small. And well the Beemer is just too pricey and would have to have too many miles or be too old to fit the bill. So thinking we will shoot for the Charger SRT-8. Found a nice low mile car. Certified with a 8 year 80,000 mile waranty. So we will be covered for another 60,000 miles and its a little comforting. We will se if we can work the deal tomorrow.

Datdude
03-27-2010, 11:39 AM
I know you said you don't want an SUV, but we bought a Tahoe for our third car and use it for weekend getaways. This Sat. we are driving four hours to an amusement park and four hours back that night. Kids love it, second row heated captain chairs and third row bench. The wife and I take turns, climb in the back and watch a netflix movie with them. Talk about a comfortable ride. I have an older Tahoe for going back and forth to work and they are like night and day. If you have not been in one lately, give it a try. I think a 2007 will be in that range. For an extra 5k splurge for the LTZ, it's worth it.

The LTZ is totally worth it! My wife got a Tahoe LTZ a year ago and after driving it around I had to get a new LTZ pick up truck:cool:

Thrall
03-29-2010, 10:24 AM
Charger!
Yeah, fit and finish may not be on par with a bimmer or caddy, but the fun factor is and they look cool too!