PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Auction Problem

Rockman
03-22-2010, 10:55 AM
Alright everyone, need you comments on this one…

During the week on Ebay I found someone close to my house selling some pool sticks, set of pool balls and rack for the wall. All were used but in "new" condition.

The auction was set for 7 days and ended on Sunday 3/22/10 at 2:30pm CST.

No one had bid on this as of Friday at noon and the starting bid was $.99, no reserve set.

So I placed a bid of $5.61 max and ebay confirmed me as the only bidder at $.99.

No activity on this all weekend. On Sunday, auction was over and I won the items.

I emailed the seller asking when we could me this week so I can pick up the items. I was going to give the person $10.00 for the items as a good faith gesture as I know she probably wanted more than $.99 for the items.

The seller emails me back saying anytime this week after 4pm would be good.

10 minutes later I get an email from the seller asking to cancel the transaction. Seller stated the following:

Seller selected the following reason: I sold item to another buyer.

Additional information from seller: sorry for the confusion but i had listed this item elsewhere for 75 and that is what i thought your purchase price was. if you are still interested, that is the price, not 99 cents. the ebay listing was supposed to have a reserve on it but accidently got left out. once again, sorry. if you are still interested, please let us know.

So now I am mad. When I checked the auctions on Friday, there were no other listings from this person. So the items were not for sale on Ebay elsewhere. Also, not sure why she is saying the items were purchased by someone else…it was purchased by ME.

She has sold 523 items and has gotten good reviews.

My thoughts are these:

1-I think she didn’t get “her” price and now she is back-peddling on this.If you are going to sell an item on Ebay, then set it up correctly with a reserve.
2-She had all week to check her item for auction and see that $.99 was the opening bid with no reserve. She could have either cancelled the auction or put a reserve on it since no bids were yet placed.
3-Her story does not make sense as to why she is canceling…she actually has 2 excuses to cancel.

I am a level-headed person and if she came flat out and said “Hey, I made a mistake, I’ll make you a deal with $xx price,” then I would understand. But I think she is fos.

Your thoughts? What should I do?

piper_chuck
03-22-2010, 11:11 AM
Either the seller is dingy (forgot she sold the items to someone else), or is as you say, FOS. Based on the timing of the emails, I suspect she didn't notice the selling price until after she responded to your first email and is now trying to get more money from you.

You have several choices.

1. You could give her the benefit of the doubt and agree to cancel the transaction.
2. Pay the .99 via paypal and insist that she sell to you. If she doesn't, open a claim with eBay and if she still doesn't sell to you, give her negative feedback.
3. Open a claim with eBay now reporting that the seller has already told you she's not going to sell you the items for the contract price.

Whatever you do, make sure you fulfill your side of the obligation so she can't report you to eBay as a non-paying buyer. Also, make sure ALL communication with her is via the eBay messaging system so they have it on record.

coz
03-22-2010, 11:22 AM
Open a claim on this flake....If her feedback score is 523 she's not new to ebay and she knows she has to sell the item for the final value fee, it's in the ebay rules & regs and if she left out the reserve that's not your problem, it's hers.

One more thing.....don't give her anything above .99 because that was the ending price and you're only obbligated to pay that and not a penny more.

CantRepeat
03-22-2010, 01:14 PM
Either the seller is dingy (forgot she sold the items to someone else), or is as you say, FOS. Based on the timing of the emails, I suspect she didn't notice the selling price until after she responded to your first email and is now trying to get more money from you.

You have several choices.

1. You could give her the benefit of the doubt and agree to cancel the transaction.
2. Pay the .99 via paypal and insist that she sell to you. If she doesn't, open a claim with eBay and if she still doesn't sell to you, give her negative feedback.
3. Open a claim with eBay now reporting that the seller has already told you she's not going to sell you the items for the contract price.

Whatever you do, make sure you fulfill your side of the obligation so she can't report you to eBay as a non-paying buyer. Also, make sure ALL communication with her is via the eBay messaging system so they have it on record.

This looks like a pretty good course of action.

And I agree, she thought she was going to get more for it.

Tell her to link you to that other listing as well. You'd like to see that listing.

D3skier
03-22-2010, 02:58 PM
what a crock!!!! I'd follow the previous posts on this and stick it to her with a negative...

scott023
03-22-2010, 03:05 PM
Pay for it then file a claim if she doesn't ship it. It doesn't matter what her review history is, her mistake is your gain. There are FAR too many scammers on there, you won the auction all square... you deserve your items for the price you bid.

Rockman
03-22-2010, 04:52 PM
So I emailed the seller with the following:

"If the items were for sale "elsewhere" as you noted, please send me the EBay link so I can verify you listed this item multiple times and indeed, it was sold to another party."

Her response back to me was:

"OK LET ME EXPLAIN...IT IS MY RIGHT AS A SELLER TO CANCEL THE TRANSACTION BEFORE RECEIVING PAYMENTS. YOU CAN LOOK THIS UP ON EBAY. I THOUGHT WHEN I HAD ORIGINALLY SPOKE TO YOU, YOU PURCHASED FOR THE 75 BUY IT NOW PRICE. IT IS NOT EVEN WORTH SELLING AT 99CENTS AND THAT IS WHY I HAVE CANCELLED THE TRANSACTION. IT COST ME MORE THAN 99 CENTS TO LIST THE ITEM. I HAD A RESERVE ON IT BUT I MUST HAVE NOT SAVED IT OR IT DID NOT GO THROUGH. A RESERVE IS A PRICE THAT I WOULD SELL IT FOR WHICH THE BIDDERS CANNOT SEE. I HAVE BEEN APPROACHED BY OTHER WATCHERS FOR THE STICKS FOR ALMOST AS MUCH AS THE WHOLE LOT. THANK YOU AND ONCE AGAIN SORRY ."

I have not paid for the item yet ($.99)

RM

Ron Grover
03-22-2010, 05:02 PM
pay for the items and file a fraud report with ebay. i bet if you had put in the worng amount and she had a shill bidder she would have required you to pay.

TMCNo1
03-22-2010, 05:18 PM
Just let it go, then see if you can find a Democratic Senator or Representative in Washington that is bidding his balls off on Ebay to use as unemployment insurance come Election Day in Novfreekingvember!:uglyhamme

coz
03-22-2010, 05:26 PM

"If the items were for sale "elsewhere" as you noted, please send me the EBay link so I can verify you listed this item multiple times and indeed, it was sold to another party."

"OK LET ME EXPLAIN...IT IS MY RIGHT AS A SELLER TO CANCEL THE TRANSACTION BEFORE RECEIVING PAYMENTS. YOU CAN LOOK THIS UP ON EBAY. I THOUGHT WHEN I HAD ORIGINALLY SPOKE TO YOU, YOU PURCHASED FOR THE 75 BUY IT NOW PRICE. IT IS NOT EVEN WORTH SELLING AT 99CENTS AND THAT IS WHY I HAVE CANCELLED THE TRANSACTION. IT COST ME MORE THAN 99 CENTS TO LIST THE ITEM. I HAD A RESERVE ON IT BUT I MUST HAVE NOT SAVED IT OR IT DID NOT GO THROUGH. A RESERVE IS A PRICE THAT I WOULD SELL IT FOR WHICH THE BIDDERS CANNOT SEE. I HAVE BEEN APPROACHED BY OTHER WATCHERS FOR THE STICKS FOR ALMOST AS MUCH AS THE WHOLE LOT. THANK YOU AND ONCE AGAIN SORRY ."

RM

Here's a good thing if you're gonna just let it go. You can give negative feedback for this transaction and as per new ebay rules the seller cannot give you a negative (you use to be able to but not anymore) so leave a detailed negative and see how she likes that :D

Thrall
03-22-2010, 05:29 PM
Agree to paying her the $75 and set up a meeting. When you meet her, kick her in the gunt!:D

Ski-me
03-22-2010, 05:53 PM
Here's a good thing if you're gonna just let it go. You can give negative feedback for this transaction and as per new ebay rules the seller cannot give you a negative (you use to be able to but not anymore) so leave a detailed negative and see how she likes that :D

Yea, that's what I suggest too. New rules allow you to post negative feedback without any fear for the seller to do the same to you.

I'd drop it, not pay her, report her to ebay and leave negative feedback. With that many transactions, she knows what she did. She was just hoping there would be a flood of bids at the last second to drive the price up. When that didn't happen, she is now crying foul. :mad:

Love the "CAPS" response from her, too.......:rolleyes:

piper_chuck
03-22-2010, 06:20 PM

"OK LET ME EXPLAIN...IT IS MY RIGHT AS A SELLER TO CANCEL THE TRANSACTION BEFORE RECEIVING PAYMENTS. YOU CAN LOOK THIS UP ON EBAY.

That's total BS. She can cancel before the auction ends, but not after. Ask HER to give you the link showing where this is acceptable. She obviously won't, because there is no such policy.

Here is a quote from the eBay user agreement:
"While using eBay sites, services and tools, you will not:...

...fail to deliver items purchased from you, unless the buyer fails to meet the posted terms, or you cannot authenticate the buyer's identity;"

I THOUGHT WHEN I HAD ORIGINALLY SPOKE TO YOU, YOU PURCHASED FOR THE 75 BUY IT NOW PRICE. IT IS NOT EVEN WORTH SELLING AT 99CENTS AND THAT IS WHY I HAVE CANCELLED THE TRANSACTION. IT COST ME MORE THAN 99 CENTS TO LIST THE ITEM. I HAD A RESERVE ON IT BUT I MUST HAVE NOT SAVED IT OR IT DID NOT GO THROUGH. A RESERVE IS A PRICE THAT I WOULD SELL IT FOR WHICH THE BIDDERS CANNOT SEE. I HAVE BEEN APPROACHED BY OTHER WATCHERS FOR THE STICKS FOR ALMOST AS MUCH AS THE WHOLE LOT. THANK YOU AND ONCE AGAIN SORRY ."

She has essentially admitted that she's trying to cancel the sale because she didn't get what she wanted. This could have been done before the auction ended, but not after. She's SOL, although you will probably never get them from her at your winning price.

RM
Pay her immediately, it's only $.99, and you'll get it back later. Then wait the required time and if she still refuses to sell, open a claim. While this won't force her to give you the item at the contract price, it will at least give her a dose of ethics and perhaps it'll keep her from trying to screw more people in the future. Oh, and once the claim is closed and she still refuses to live up to her obligation, hit her with negative feedback. Don't think of it as retaliation, consider it an appropriate response to her cheating you out of an item you rightfully won.

CantRepeat
03-22-2010, 06:23 PM
Did you get a cancel notice? I thought they could not cancel an auction that had ended with a winning bid. Hell, if the payment link is still live, I'd pay the .99 cents and go after her with paypal and ebay.

piper_chuck
03-22-2010, 06:23 PM
One more thing, reject her attempt to cancel the sale. If you don't, eBay will automatically cancel it after some number of days.

Rockman
03-22-2010, 06:34 PM
The pay link is still available.

However, when I go to pay, it shows my shipping address (to my house).

Should I just use my initials and my city, state and zip and leave out the street address?

Also, my paypal is linked to my checking ac**** which I think the best would be is to have it linked to my Credit Card. Agree?

Lastly, I do plan on following the claim procedures and negative feedback route.

I really don't care about getting the stuff. If she was honest with me up front, then I would be a little bit more understanding but I feel this is just a run-around.

Yes, CAPS always work for me...really wants me to stay patient with people.:rolleyes:

KnoxX2
03-22-2010, 06:43 PM
I would report her and pay from your paypal! She can't see the account #s. Don't worry about your address she don't have the nuts to do anything!!!

Sodar
03-22-2010, 06:52 PM
Just let it die.

You really have the time to worry about this?

Get over it, move on.

CantRepeat
03-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Just let it die.

You really have the time to worry about this?

Get over it, move on.

And let her continue to shaft other people? :mad:

Screw that, at least report her to ebay and paypal along with neg feedback.

Sodar
03-22-2010, 08:08 PM
And let her continue to shaft other people? :mad:

Screw that, at least report her to ebay and paypal along with neg feedback.

She is not shafting anyone. She does not want to sell an item for .99... I don't blame her. Who knows, maybe she did mess up on the listing.

Move on and get over it.

CantRepeat
03-22-2010, 08:23 PM
She is not shafting anyone. She does not want to sell an item for .99... I don't blame her. Who knows, maybe she did mess up on the listing.

Move on and get over it.

Sure she doesn't but with over 500 transactions, she knows how to use ebay so I'm sure she knew what no reserve meant. NOW, that she didn't get what she thought she would get you are going to let her renig(sp) on an auction.

She is trying to pull a fast one and that's what I believe.

That's what ebay is about, you win some and you lose some, she lost this gamble now she has to pay.

Edit

And as a person with honor, that's when you go, you know what, I kind of messed that up, but I'll go ahead and sell it to you for that winning bid because it's the right thing to do. I'm a good person and would not cheat or lie to you.

/Edit

95prostar
03-22-2010, 09:22 PM
I have had this same situation happen as a buyer. you can do the pay with paypal and then submit a claim when the item isnt shipped, but it is just a pissing match at that point. Its best to let it go imo. i screwed up a listing also as a seller and let the item go for the rediculous low price. i just laughed at my mistake when boxing and shipping it. that is what ebay is about to me. why should i be an *** when i screwed the auction details up. i try to be an honest person.

piper_chuck
03-22-2010, 09:46 PM

Move on and get over it.
If she didn't want to sell it for .99 she should have set a higher starting price or set a reserve price. It's inconceivable that the listing could have been out there 7 days without her noticing the lack of a reserve. More than likely she just didn't want to spend the $ on a reserve and set the low starting price to also save $ on listing fees.

The bottom line is she gambled with a low starting price and lost. Now she's trying to cheat the buyer. Walking away from such behavior does nothing but reinforce it, and it takes little time for a buyer to make her feel the consequences of what she's done.

Sodar
03-22-2010, 10:11 PM
You guys are missing my point. Aren't there other things to be more concerned about?

Move on.

CantRepeat
03-22-2010, 10:14 PM
You guys are missing my point. Aren't there other things to be more concerned about?

Move on.

Yes, there are other things to be concerned about. That level of concern would have to deal with your free time. I would make enough free time to deal with this, even if it is just a bunch of $75 pool sticks.

Points, that matter when you make one.

Sodar
03-22-2010, 10:26 PM
Well, keep on keeping on! :rolleyes:

CantRepeat
03-22-2010, 10:59 PM
Well, keep on keeping on! :rolleyes:

Right on, $7,500 or $75.00 it's all about perspective, right? :D

h2oskifreak
03-22-2010, 11:07 PM
Make the appointment to do the deal at $75.00. Make it early on a Sat or Sun and don't show. She'll get the point and you won't have to go through all the misery.

DemolitionMan
03-22-2010, 11:22 PM
Just leave a negative feed back.

scott023
03-22-2010, 11:40 PM
Agree to paying her the $75 and set up a meeting. When you meet her, kick her in the gunt!:D

Classy. I`d do it. :D:D:D

dummy
03-23-2010, 12:09 AM
eBay sucks

:twocents:

Rockman
03-23-2010, 12:15 AM

Move on.

When it comes to getting ripped off one way or another, no.

coz
03-23-2010, 12:16 AM
More than likely she just didn't want to spend the $ on a reserve and set the low starting price to also save $ on listing fees.

The bottom line is she gambled with a low starting price and lost.

That's exactly what happened, I'd bet .99 on that one.

Rockman
03-23-2010, 12:21 AM
I am not going to submit payment but I am going to leave negative feedback on Ebay.

The way the lady handled herself after the fact was not acceptable and therefore, leaving the feedback as negative with a good explanation is the right thing to do. It's definitely not the hardest way to stick this up this lady's a$@, but what comes around goes around I guess.

Shipping was $0 because the items were set for local pickup.

I really have not interest in the items anymore. I only bid on the items because they were local and there were no bidders at such a low reserve.

Sodar-I really don't care that the lady doesn't want to sell the items for $.99. The lady auctioned the items and based on the way SHE set up the auction, she lost. She did not correct her auction during the bid process and now cannot stand up to her sale. Bottom line.

Oh well...

Rockman
03-23-2010, 12:22 AM
That's exactly what happened, I'd bet .99 on that one.

SmartAs$ :D

Maristar210
03-23-2010, 06:11 PM
Another e-bay slimeball. I agree with Cam. F her and move on.

Willski
03-23-2010, 09:23 PM
I agree with Sodar. Not really worth getting worked up about, but I'd probably give her the negative feedback as well.

83SuperSlot
03-24-2010, 02:39 AM

This is what I would say to do too.. you're out the stuff but at least she's got her consequence. ..

Hammer
03-24-2010, 10:21 AM
I am not going to submit payment but I am going to leave negative feedback on Ebay.

The way the lady handled herself after the fact was not acceptable and therefore, leaving the feedback as negative with a good explanation is the right thing to do. It's definitely not the hardest way to stick this up this lady's a$@, but what comes around goes around I guess.

Shipping was $0 because the items were set for local pickup.

I really have not interest in the items anymore. I only bid on the items because they were local and there were no bidders at such a low reserve.

Sodar-I really don't care that the lady doesn't want to sell the items for $.99. The lady auctioned the items and based on the way SHE set up the auction, she lost. She did not correct her auction during the bid process and now cannot stand up to her sale. Bottom line.

Oh well...

You are absolutely right, Negative feedback and move on! It’s the right thing to do.

Rockman
03-24-2010, 05:57 PM
I received a note back from this chick and she told me:

"Get over it. Leave negative feedback and I will do too."

So, I denied her request to cancel the transaction and left negative feedback.

What a PITA!

Oh, well. This has been the only bad experience I have had with buying / selling things on Ebay or Craigslist. I guess my odds are better than average.

brucemac
03-24-2010, 06:05 PM
ebay sucks. full of snipers.

piper_chuck
03-24-2010, 09:28 PM

What a PITA!

Oh, well. This has been the only bad experience I have had with buying / selling things on Ebay or Craigslist. I guess my odds are better than average.
She's gonna be disappointed when she discovers sellers can't leave negative feedback. :purplaugh Even if her comment is negative, you'll be able to respond to show that she's being a b*&ch. :dance:

Double D
03-24-2010, 09:39 PM

Its a lot better than craigslist. IMO

scott023
03-24-2010, 11:33 PM

What a PITA!

What a hag. :confused:

scott023
03-24-2010, 11:34 PM

One for hire right here.... :D

pram
03-25-2010, 01:20 AM
she's a b!tch and you should have paid the 0.99 then filed for the 30 seconds that it would have taken

scott023
03-25-2010, 11:57 AM
she's a b!tch and you should have paid the 0.99 then filed for the 30 seconds that it would have taken

Whoa whoa now... no need for language like that. 8p

Ski-me
03-25-2010, 12:12 PM
Did you let her know that she "can't" leave negative feedback on your account?....ebay new rules. For someone with so many transactions, she should know this by now......

Rockman
03-25-2010, 02:31 PM
Did you let her know that she "can't" leave negative feedback on your account?....ebay new rules. For someone with so many transactions, she should know this by now......

No, I figured let her get all worked up, spend some time thinking of some really "nice" feedback to leave for me and then realize she can't leave it.8p

ski_king
03-25-2010, 02:51 PM
How about a link to her feedback page so we can follow?

Datdude
03-25-2010, 03:31 PM
kick her in the gunt!:D

I think you meant cu.........never mind:cool:

CantRepeat
03-25-2010, 03:32 PM
How about a link to her feedback page so we can follow?

QFE This.

And could we get the minimum reply length set to 3 Please?

tex
03-25-2010, 03:46 PM
I know people!

scott023
03-25-2010, 04:39 PM

I think YOU meant runt. Right?

Maristar210
03-25-2010, 04:41 PM
My first wife new that word for sure. She was a bit of a slunt, I mean tramp.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-25-2010, 04:54 PM

The reference would be to a large protuberance of flesh (often times referred to as the gut) hanging from the front of this woman - often times covering the, well, you know. This rather unsightly Wal-Mart frontal physique, and all it's components, are, upon occasion, referred to as the "gunt" in certain circles.

scott023
03-25-2010, 05:31 PM
My first wife new that word for sure. She was a bit of a slunt, I mean tramp.

Nice one...

scott023
03-25-2010, 05:32 PM
The reference would be to a large protuberance of flesh (often times referred to as the gut) hanging from the front of this woman - often times covering the, well, you know. This rather unsightly Wal-Mart frontal physique, and all it's components, are, upon occasion, referred to as the "gunt" in certain circles.

You get that definition from Websters? :D:D:D

thatsmrmastercraft
03-25-2010, 06:18 PM
You get that definition from Websters? :D:D:D

Lived in a trailer park for a while.

scott023
03-25-2010, 07:30 PM
Lived in a trailer park for a while.

Sweet. Double wide?

thatsmrmastercraft
03-25-2010, 07:54 PM
Sweet. Double wide?