PDA

View Full Version : Circular Drive Thoughts and Ideas

JohnnyB
03-21-2010, 06:23 PM
Going down my list of summer to-dos related to the fact that I have a gravel driveway and dirt for a yard....going to be a busy summer.

My driveway is 600ft long so a turnaround by the garage is a must. Thinking circular drive as opposed to just a big pad. Anyone out there with a circular drive have thoughts from experience of use....thinking about radius for turning (with my MC in tow), width of drive, distance from garage bays to center island, etc.

I have plenty of room to play with but don't want to make it look obnoxious (too big/too wide) and also don't want to short myself on room and be unhappy....hard to change and expensive.

Any insight from others is appreciated.

Thanks.

Skipper
03-21-2010, 07:48 PM
Had a big circular drive at my place in Kentucky. Was very convenient for all the things you mentioned. Does not look bad. With the right land scaping it looks like it is supposed to be there. Just got to teach the kids to pick a side when they park so you can get out when you need to.

TMCNo1
03-21-2010, 08:13 PM
Having worked for a concrete/asphalt paving company in the past as a estimator, I suggested to customers and worked with them with layouts. Beg, buy, borrow, steal, but gather up as many garden hoses as you can, lay out various combination's of driveway radius's, etc., drive them, back up in them and adjust till you get to the combination you like. Then mark the lines with paint to get the price estimates, grading and forming. Whatever you decide, make a simple drawing, measure everything so you'll have a record of it. Give every contractor the dimensions along with your specifications so everyone will be quoting you the same product.
We never suggested any residential driveway be less than 10' wide to prevent vehicles from breaking off the sides/edges if for some reason some people can't stay on the driveway and whether the edges have or have not been backfilled and compacted with suitable soil or crusher run stone.

Thrall
03-22-2010, 09:55 AM
The only thing contrary to what TMC suggested, would be to NOT give the contractors your quantity take offs. Measure them yourself for record, but make them do their own takeoffs and get clear, defined lump sum bids. No T&M or unit price bids.
ANy contractor who isn't competent enough to do their own takeoff, or would consider using yours is not competent enough to do the work.
By giving them your quantities, you may be implicitly opening your self up for a qty overrun change order from the contractor. Ex: "You told me it would only take 60tn of base course, I used 80tn, you owe me for 20tn extra......"

sethro
03-23-2010, 12:25 PM
What TMCNo1 said about the hoses is a great idea, and something I have done in the past. I will only add that if you have access to a good satellite image of your property you can play around with ideas even before you lay the hoses out.

h2oskifreak
03-23-2010, 01:54 PM
If your circle drive accesses a county rd. or city road at more than one ingress/egress point it usually requires a permit. My city won't allow two access points from one single property. May not apply, just another thought.