PDA

View Full Version : Building a surf wake.

CantRepeat
03-18-2010, 12:09 PM
Ok, so I have about 24 months before we can get serious about an X14v/214v (wife working on her masters).

In the mean time, I want to do some wake surfing. My 92 Maristar 210 is what I have for now and would like to build a better surf wake with it.

First does anyone have this old of a boat they are surfing with?

Second, can I get some recommendations on bags, pumps, install, weight placement, props, and finally surfboards?

Thanks again for all the input.
Tim

CantRepeat
03-18-2010, 12:16 PM
And, I'm I just pissing into the wind with this?

brucemac
03-18-2010, 12:42 PM
don't get any on ya. ;)

is your hull similar to the X10? i believe it is.

if so, i would search X10 or X-10 surf wake and see what comes back. should be quite a bit of info out there. if not here, try Wakeworld or call wakemakers or fly high.

bags - Fly High Pro X, you'll need to figure out or have someone help you with the size for your boat.

pumps - depends on whether you want to install an auto ballast system. if you're just looking for a manual setup then the Tsunami 12V pump works great.

prop - probably not something you need to mess with

boards - depends a bit on your weight. inland surfer, the walker project are pretty highly regarded. ronix, hyperlite, liquid force also make some decent boards. inland surfer red woody and blue lake are on my list for new boards. i'm also considering a walker project comp x.

the key is finding someone with your same hull who's already been down this path and then deciding if you're going to dive into installing an auto ballast setup.

good luck!

brucemac
03-18-2010, 12:45 PM
oh, i would also say that you can start with just the bags and the manual pump and then if you get serious you can use the same bags for the auto system. you'd just need to buy different pumps, tubing, fittings, switches, intakes, thru-hulls, etc. it's not an either/or type of thing.

jbkriss
03-18-2010, 01:52 PM
Calling Mike at Barefoot Int'l is a good recommendation. He'll tell you how to weight it. Whether your boat has ballast or not, you're going to have to buy plenty of it. The Fly High Sacs w/ Tsunami pump is the best and fastest filling sacks out there. He'll tell ya you're gonna need to buy a lot for the rear, the middle, and bow of the boat. Then add a bunch more (1000+) to the side you want to surf. It's not a cheap deal but maybe you can find some people (here/ebay) with some used sacs or blems.

VOLFAN
03-18-2010, 04:20 PM
get your ballast and pumps at maxwake.com

scharette
03-19-2010, 07:16 AM
Hello!

Hi have a 1995 Maristar. Not sure if ist the same hull as you.
Right now we have 2 x 400 bags in the rear. one bag in ski locker and 1 bags in the bow. You will really need to play with the rear bags to have a good wake. I find the wake better with a couple of people in the rear of the boat. i'm thinking of buying bigger bags for the rear. i think they are selling 750 pounds bags...

CantRepeat
03-19-2010, 09:55 AM
get your ballast and pumps at maxwake.com

They don't seem to be any cheaper then overtons.com.

jbkriss
03-19-2010, 10:01 AM
I've ordered from maxwake.com and wakemakers.com and both are excellent to deal with.

CantRepeat
03-19-2010, 11:23 AM
I guess my boat weighs about 3200 lbs or so. I'm wondering how much weight will be needed. With 3 bags, the bow bag, wrap around motorbox bag, and a 20x20x48 I can get near 3000 lbs. Is that near what other people are using?

With two of those Tsunami pumps about how long to fill this up? 30 minutes? Is emptying them about the same time frame?

jbkriss
03-19-2010, 11:38 AM
With two pumps, it shouldn't take you that long. They say they fill at 20 gallons a minute or roughly 150 lbs a minute. So with two pumps going, you can do the math, maybe 15 minutes or less. That's two pumps. I don't know how many power sources your boat has so be sure to check before ordering two pumps.

nmcjr
03-19-2010, 06:34 PM
If I were to take a stab at it, I would think a 750 for the locker, then a set of VDrive sacs (Which you could later use in the lockers of this or another boat for wakeboarding) one on the port seat, and one in the bow, either on the port bow seat or the isle. With these 3 you could move them around to figure out what works best. I am not an expert on this hull, so a call to wakemakers would be a good idea, this was just what I was thinking off the top of my head. You will be fine with the tsunami pump or two at least until you figure out something you might want to install permanently.

For a board, I have a Hyperlite, because it fits in my rack, but I don't really like it. It seems to me that the sharp edges cause it to dig in too easily. I have seen the inland surfers well reviewed, but I don't think they will fit in a regular rack. I have also used a Liquid Force (not sure which one) that had more rounded edges that I liked a lot better than mine. I am around 200# so I think I need a little bigger board than I have. So, that is some advice too, the longer boards are easier to free ride, so I would err on the larger side.

CantRepeat
03-19-2010, 08:50 PM
When you say 750 locker, what bag are you talking about and what location in the boat?

cdawake
03-20-2010, 03:25 AM
the ski locker, right next to the driver in the floor, where the skis go...
most tube sacks like the one from fly high fit in there and hold 750##

CantRepeat
03-20-2010, 07:16 AM
the ski locker, right next to the driver in the floor, where the skis go...
most tube sacks like the one from fly high fit in there and hold 750##

I'm not positive but I don't think the locker in my Maristar is the same as in a Pro or X. Mine isn't big enough to get a ski in. It looks more like a cooler then a ski locker.

I'll have to measure it.

nmcjr
03-20-2010, 03:57 PM
Sorry--I didn't mean locker-I have been messing with my locker sac, so I have lockers on my brain. What I meant was a 750 in the port VDrive compartment, then a vdrive sac on the port seat and in the bow, aisle or maybe even port bow seat. (Assuming you surf left foot forward, if right foot forward, starboard Vdrive compartment, i.e. all weight on starboard.)

The 750 is this sac http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-fat-sac.html

CantRepeat
03-21-2010, 08:49 AM
Sorry--I didn't mean locker-I have been messing with my locker sac, so I have lockers on my brain. What I meant was a 750 in the port VDrive compartment, then a vdrive sac on the port seat and in the bow, aisle or maybe even port bow seat. (Assuming you surf left foot forward, if right foot forward, starboard Vdrive compartment, i.e. all weight on starboard.)

The 750 is this sac http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-fat-sac.html

The boat is not a Vdrive and doesn't have a Vdrive compartment.

CantRepeat
03-21-2010, 08:50 AM
I did send an email to wakebuilder but got a pretty generic response from them.

nmcjr
03-22-2010, 03:07 PM
Sorry, I don't know the Maristar line very well, and thought for some reason it was a VDrive.

I agree with brucemac, it would be great to find someone with a DD, such as the X10 to give you more specific information.

If I were to take a stab at it, this sac looks like a good choice for the rear corner of a DD:
http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-inboard-surf-sac.html

Then, I would probably buy a 750 to use in the front, or maybe a 440. You likely wouldn't fill the 750 all the way, but in general buying a larger sac gives you more options, since you don't have to fill it all the way. For example, you could use it in the walkway for wakeboarding if you wanted to later.

The only thing I don't really like about the inboard surf sac is that due to its shape you can't really repurpose it for wake boarding (maybe you could by adding a side sac or something to the other side. So, maybe a better choice is a 750 and a VDrive sac, or two vdrive sacs in that corner. Maybe wakeboarding isn't of interest to you , in which case its not an issue.

Anyway, these are just some educated guesses on my part to give you something to think about. I would think around 1000 in the rear corner and 500 in the bow would be a good starting point. In general, if you buy bags that are larger you have some flexibility for placement and you can always partially fill them for tuning. The only downside is that larger bags don't want to stay on seats as well. If you call wakemakers you will probably end up leaving them a message, but they are good about returning calls.

CantRepeat
03-22-2010, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the input.

I posted over on wakeworld and after about a week I haven't even gotten 1 "view" on the thread, lol.

I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a 750 bow sac, 1500 wrap around sac and a 20x20x48 to put on the surf side. I'm sure it's overkill on the weight department, but like most say, larger is better(my wife disagrees at full thrust) since you don't have to fill them all the way.

CantRepeat
03-22-2010, 05:32 PM
Oh and on boards. I grew up surfing in So Cal and later in Hawaii. Of course this was a while back, but it seems like 4' 6" and up to 5' boards seem to be the starting point on lengths for this kind of stuff.

I'm 170 5' 9" anyone have a solid recommendation on a board?

brucemac
03-22-2010, 08:05 PM
bow sac? or locker sac? although you will most likely need wait throughout the boat, you're going to want the majority of your weight in the stern side that you're surfing.

CantRepeat
03-23-2010, 06:49 AM
bow sac? or locker sac? although you will most likely need wait throughout the boat, you're going to want the majority of your weight in the stern side that you're surfing.

I was thinking the bow sac as it has been said that would clean the wake up and make it more of a ramp.

I was thinking about 350 up front, 1k in the back, and then 750 on the side surf side. Do you think there would be a difference in bow vs locker sac, IE location and weighting vs the wake shape?

Is there anything that can be done to push the wake farther from the boat? It seems the only thing that has done that is the trim tab type of deals on the new boats.

vshockey10
09-04-2011, 12:54 PM
Tim, I know you have moved on from your maristar but did you ever end up setting up your maristar for wake surfing successfully? and what board did you use?

thanks! I have the same boat you had and won't be moving up to a Vdrive for a few more years

CantRepeat
09-04-2011, 06:29 PM
Tim, I know you have moved on from your maristar but did you ever end up setting up your maristar for wake surfing successfully? and what board did you use?

thanks! I have the same boat you had and won't be moving up to a Vdrive for a few more years

I'll have to look through some files for surfing videos on my 92. I can tell this much, it was never that great. I think it ended up being 2 750 lbs sacs, 1 450 lbs sac. The 750s were along the port and one behind the motor box. The 450 was on the back seat near port.

It wasn't all that great but folks posted it was better then most. I'll see what I can find.

I'm up in Atlanta right now so give me a day or two.

Gabe63
09-05-2011, 12:41 AM
You need to put as much ballast as you can, mainly on the side you want to surf. I have put 2000lbs in my 2000 210VRS and would do more (I just bought some more). I have 2 pumps so two people can work at the same time and cut down on the set-up time. It only takes 30 minutes when you are changing sides with lots of bags.

I just looked up your boat. Load the back, the side floor, and maybe the font. You can stack 500 lb bags on the floor next to the engine, the more you put in there the bigger the wave. Do it at your own risk, I have not tested anything on your boat. You will be overloading your boat capacity.

vshockey10
09-05-2011, 11:14 AM
Right now we are just getting into it and just took the bindings off of an old wakeboard that is 4'9". With a bunch of lead in the front. 250 on the port and 6 guys in the boat all loaded on the port side except the drive I can surf for a little bit then the board limits me and I have to grab the rope again. So I'd be really interested in any pictures/videos you may have and what board to go with as right now we are just hacking it together for a little fun bc that's all that matters right? Thank you!!

CantRepeat
09-06-2011, 01:21 PM
Right now we are just getting into it and just took the bindings off of an old wakeboard that is 4'9". With a bunch of lead in the front. 250 on the port and 6 guys in the boat all loaded on the port side except the drive I can surf for a little bit then the board limits me and I have to grab the rope again. So I'd be really interested in any pictures/videos you may have and what board to go with as right now we are just hacking it together for a little fun bc that's all that matters right? Thank you!!

Here's a link to the video of my 92 Maristar (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkoFuBeeY3o).

This is with 2 750s, one behind the motorbox near the port wall and one running down the port wall. There is also a 450 on top of the port wall 750. There are 2 adults in the boat port side of rear seat, one teenager in the passanger seat and an adult driver.

What I learned from this was I was never going to get the kind of wake I wanted out of the 92. Moreover, it was hard on the boat moving that kind of weight around. Well, I sold it and moved on.

Hopefully you'll have better luck then I did.

vshockey10
09-06-2011, 03:54 PM
were you ever able to surf with out the rope, what board did you use? think messing with the platform like you did on your new boat would have helped the 92? sorry for all the questions but you seem to be the go to guy on this boat.

did you have an aftermarket prop?

Here's a link to the video of my 92 Maristar (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkoFuBeeY3o).

This is with 2 750s, one behind the motorbox near the port wall and one running down the port wall. There is also a 450 on top of the port wall 750. There are 2 adults in the boat port side of rear seat, one teenager in the passanger seat and an adult driver.

What I learned from this was I was never going to get the kind of wake I wanted out of the 92. Moreover, it was hard on the boat moving that kind of weight around. Well, I sold it and moved on.

Hopefully you'll have better luck then I did.

CantRepeat
09-06-2011, 04:03 PM
were you ever able to surf with out the rope, what board did you use? think messing with the platform like you did on your new boat would have helped the 92? sorry for all the questions but you seem to be the go to guy on this boat.

did you have an aftermarket prop?

Short of putting lead in the rear port corner I do not believe the boat would get a better wave. That said, there was no way I was willing or would suggest that anyone use lead weights for ballast.

At the very end I could surf without the rope but not for very long. The board is a CWB ride skim style. I bet you'd have better luck with a non skim style board. They have more loft and seem to be a bit more forgiving in the smaller wave boats.

I never thought about the platform in the 92. Mine had those grab rails that ran all the way back so you really couldn't modify it even if you wanted to.

No worries, if you have any more questions just post them up. ;)

And I had the stock 13x13 prop.

CantRepeat
09-23-2012, 11:59 AM
Just finished a set with the custom swim step. Its as big as I could go and not mess up the surf wave.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/24/dazajypy.jpg

Traxx822
09-23-2012, 08:05 PM
thats pretty cool. Did you do it yourself or did you buy it and bolt on?

CantRepeat
09-23-2012, 10:17 PM
thats pretty cool. Did you do it yourself or did you buy it and bolt on?

I bought a 3x5.75 sheet of aluminum and cut out the step myself. After testing the basic shape I'll cover it in sea-dec which I already have but need to test the shape it first.

CantRepeat
09-24-2012, 07:47 AM
Sorry, I posted this in the wrong thread. This is not on my old 92 but on my 06 X30. Damn taptalk!