PDA

View Full Version : Overheating? 2000 PS 190

rmckee47
06-19-2005, 11:09 PM
Our recently purchased 2000 PS 190 with 53 hours seems to be overheating when we start it - we're not really sure. We have the 330 horse and standard cooling.

We've only used the boat three times and here's what has happened each time. I start it, let it warm up for a few minutes, then start to drive at low speed (say 15 mph) and the temperature guage goes to the max - 240 degrees. Then I turn it off for a few minutes and when I restart the guage goes to about 160 degrees and stays there from then on whether we're skiing, cruising, or idling. Any thoughts? Thank you.

parks_jr_55
06-19-2005, 11:14 PM
Your impeller probably needs to be replaced.

We got our 99 PS190 with 102 Hours on it and got it in the water and before getting a skiier in the water we had the same problem. Its common to have that and is a quick fix. You can do it without the dealer. Make sure when you do it though to clean out the hoses also for pieces of your impeller when replacing it.

SKI*MC
06-19-2005, 11:15 PM
ONLY 3 TIMES!!! my guess would be the gauge missleading you, your the impeller is shot. Check both of them out. AND USE YOUR BOAT MORE! have fun with your new boat!

rmckee47
06-19-2005, 11:54 PM
ONLY 3 TIMES!!! my guess would be the gauge missleading you, your the impeller is shot. Check both of them out. AND USE YOUR BOAT MORE! have fun with your new boat!

Thanks for the suggestions. A further question: if the problem is the impeller, would the temp return to normal and stay there regardless of idling?

As to using the boat more, I live in the Boston area and my camp is in NH. This has been the coolest, wettest spring in the northeast in about 15 years. Since we didn't open our camp til last weekend, I used the time to fiddle around with the boat, adding flush mount cleats, bimini top with quick release hdwe (as shown by someone in TT), replacing a speedo pickup, adding a compass, subwoofer, new cover, boat lift at the camp, brake controller to our SUV, ski, the list goes on. My wife finally named it "My Mistress" because gifts for the boat were coming every day. The name decal arrived over the weekend! With apologies to TTer's who have rightly said that MasterCraft is name enough for their boats, this name fits! I'm planning on plenty of fun.

rmckee47
06-19-2005, 11:58 PM
Your impeller probably needs to be replaced.

We got our 99 PS190 with 102 Hours on it and got it in the water and before getting a skiier in the water we had the same problem. Its common to have that and is a quick fix. You can do it without the dealer. Make sure when you do it though to clean out the hoses also for pieces of your impeller when replacing it.
I appreciate your response to my question. Where would a mechanical moron find the info needed to decide if the impeller is the problem and to replace it if it is the problem?

LakePirate
06-20-2005, 12:01 AM
Check the impeller and that should let you know if you need to continue to troubleshoot. Be sure to change your oil and filter. I would assume that it could only be slightly damaged, allowing it to be able to provide enough water to keep it cool at idle. I could be wrong.

John B
06-20-2005, 12:11 AM
If you just got the boat, you should put a new impeller in it even if that is not is not why it overheats.
You should change the impeller ever year or ever other year.
For $35 to $39 for a new one it is not worth having one go bad on you.
Last year I ate my impeller (the boat did) and it was not fun and it could have cost me a lot of $$$,but it didn't and I was lucky.

LakePirate
06-20-2005, 12:15 AM
Change it every year. Do not try and make it last 2 years. The rubber gets compromised during the winter.

John B
06-20-2005, 12:16 AM
Check the impeller and that should let you know if you need to continue to troubleshoot. Be sure to change your oil and filter. I would assume that it could only be slightly damaged, allowing it to be able to provide enough water to keep it cool at idle. I could be wrong.
Don't just look at it. Put a new on in.
Last year I just look at mine and it looked just fine.
But it was not fine it was trashed

parks_jr_55
06-20-2005, 12:21 AM
It should be similar since I have a 99 and you have a 00. On the 99 if you lift the engine cover and look straight down, there is a flat black piece of metal (about halfway down the pylon). It should have flathead screws all the way around it with a pad or something seperating the two metal areas. That is where the impeller is located. I didn't actully take the impeller out a friend did, but i was right there helping and observing. When pulling the impeller out, check and see if it has any pieces missing. You would then loosen the clamp on the otherside of the impeller housing and empty the hose of any impeller pieces. If it is your impeller this should solve the problem.

I know what you are experiencing with your boat. Even though my dad bought the boat, i was still very mad because i had to wait even longer to use the new boat.

BrianM
06-20-2005, 08:49 AM
double check the impeller just to make sure but my guess is that you have a sticky thermostat. I would take it out and replace it as well. Should only cost you about $5 and take 5 minutes to change.

Hunterb
06-20-2005, 12:53 PM
I can't see how that could be an impeller problem. If it was the impeller it would be unaffected by being turned off and then started back up. I think you have a problem with the guage, or more likely a ground problem with your electrical system. Is the motor hot when the guage is reading 240? I just went through a very similar problem with my boat and it was the ground from the blower that was causing my problems. If I left the blower on it would show very high temps, even to the point of setting off the high temp alarm, but the motor was not overheating. I installed a new ground from the guage cluster to the battery and voila it went away.

It's good maintenance to replace your impeller anyway, but I seriously doubt it will fix your problem. Check the motor next time the guage is pegged (put your hand on the riser). If it's truly overheating you'll know.

Check your ground connections everywhere, it is most likely your problem.

Hope that helps

Bruce

rmckee47
06-20-2005, 10:23 PM
I'm going to check my grounds and install a new impeller and thermostat. These are all solid, inexpensive maintenance steps, so how can I go wrong? Thanks! :banana:

rmckee47
06-21-2005, 12:09 PM
I checked in with my dealer this morning Action Marine in Webster, MA. Here is his analysis. I'm a mechanical moron, so any gaps in the explanation should be attributed either to my imperfect understanding not to the dealer.

The impeller is shot and not bringing in adequate water flow. This is causing the thermostat to get hot, until it opens completely and lets adequate water flow in.

He recommends that the impeller and thermostat be replaced at the same time and that the impeller gasket also be changed. He felt that for this particular problem that a grounding problem was unlikely to be a factor.

Thanks again for the good suggestions. My dealer is priority mailing the parts. I'll install them this weekend and let you know the results.

rmckee47
06-22-2005, 09:43 PM
OK. The new impeller and thermostat came overnight from my dealer. Looking at the Indmar operator manual, I'll be able to i.d. the pump cover. Being mechanically challenged and not seeing any diagrams in the operators manual, nor a download of a service manual, I'm not sure where the thermostat goes. Help!

jimmer2880
06-23-2005, 06:10 AM
You probably have a different thermostat housing than I do. But - mine has 3 bolts going into the top of it. It looks like a triangle with a 1" hose on each side.

Look at the orientation of the old one before you pull it out so you know which way is up.

LakePirate
06-23-2005, 09:28 AM
A little dish soap will help the impeller go in, the impeller go in, the impeller go in.
A little dish soap will help the impeller go in, ......Is it friday yet?

Granite_33
06-23-2005, 11:12 AM
Your engine may be different but the below is a pic of an older engine to give you an idea. My guess is that they remained relatively unchanged.

The T-Stat housing is the triangular doo-dad with 4 hoses running to it. Right in front of the yellow warning sticker.

After reading your post, I did not think that it would be the impeller, but after reading the explanation that the T-stat most likely opened all the way due to the engine heat, I buy it. The Impeller and T-stat are inexpensive fixes.

Good Luck

rmckee47
06-28-2005, 09:57 PM
Thanks again for the advice. I replaced the impeller (< 10 minutes) and the thermostat. Problem solved.

The impeller was a bit chewed up, but not destroyed. By the way, after seeing a $40. impeller removal tool in West Marine, I expected the operation to be difficult. Not. Fingers did the trick with a little help from a skinny flathead screwdriver.

Later in the day, I bought some docking to run alongside my boat lift and the dealer said he's never replaced the impeller on his Ski Nautique in 10 years!

Cloaked
06-28-2005, 10:27 PM
.........and the dealer said he's never replaced the impeller on his Ski Nautique in 10 years!Could very well be. I've known them to last a long time on several different boats.