PDA

View Full Version : Form help

parks_jr_55
06-19-2005, 11:58 PM
Here are some pictures of me skiing this weekend.

Any tips on form or whatever i could fix is greatly appreciated.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/vw_wr/JT2.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/vw_wr/JT1.jpg

SKI*MC
06-19-2005, 11:59 PM
those links arent working.

parks_jr_55
06-20-2005, 12:01 AM
fixed them

6ballsisall
06-20-2005, 12:04 AM
Pic doesn't look to bad to me, maybe a little far back on the ski though.

Pic 2, you got the ski flat and you pulled the rope in to your body (loose arms bad)

Disclaimer..... I don't ski on the pro tour :twocents:

parks_jr_55
06-20-2005, 12:08 AM
I figured that about 95% of the posters on this board are better skiiers then i am and i could possibly get some pointers.

Thanks again and don't hold anything back because I want any advice i can get.

SKI*MC
06-20-2005, 12:12 AM
dont break at the hips, bend the knees coming into the wake, keep arms extened, lean back. That'll get you lookin like a pro tour champ!

parks_jr_55
06-20-2005, 12:16 AM
dont break at the hips, bend the knees coming into the wake, keep arms extened, lean back. That'll get you lookin like a pro tour champ!

So should i be doing what i am doing in picture 1--in picture 2?

SKI*MC
06-20-2005, 12:19 AM
In picture 1 looks good, bend the knees a little bit more. And in picture 2, straighten out. Dont break at the waist. And keep on edge, the ski looks like its riding flat on the water. Anything else that you want to know?

6ballsisall
06-20-2005, 12:21 AM
Your pullout on Pic 1 looks pretty good. To answer your question about pic 2 and 1, pic 1 is closer to accurate. More bending at the knees would be good. Your wake looks like you are skiing at around 32mph. It might be good to slow things down a little to work on the form.

parks_jr_55
06-20-2005, 12:49 AM
You are correct, I was skiing at 32.

What would you suggest bringing it down to?

6ballsisall
06-20-2005, 12:51 AM
You are correct, I was skiing at 32.

What would you suggest bringing it down to?

Try 28 and see if that works for you. It will feel slow but the slower speed gives you more time with less pull to get in the correct positions

LakePirate
06-20-2005, 12:53 AM
I think we need a pic of the camera operator on the swimsuit board :banana:

tex
06-20-2005, 09:48 AM
Get your hips up.

east tx skier
06-21-2005, 11:31 AM
No expert, but I did hear lots of advice at ski school last week. What really made a difference was to keep you shoulders squared to the boat and keep your head up looking at the boat (although in the course, you'll want to keep more of a big picture thing going with where you look). Keeping your shoulders squared will help keep you from breaking at the waist.

Combine that with (1) roll your ankles forward a/k/a "step on the gas" and push your rear knee into your front knee, (2) handle down, (3) pressure on your down hand (right hand if you're moving from left to right, and vice-versa, (4) hips up.

The real trick, of course, is to remember to do all of these things at once. I'm lucky if I can remember to do two of them. Squaring the shoulders was key for me though, especially on my off side.

peason
06-21-2005, 11:39 AM
There is another thread currently talking about video's by the pros - it may be a good resource to get some tips. Also I would suggest suscribing to Water Ski magazine or going to thier website for advice on all aspects of slalom skiing.

Another tool would be to video tape your self making a run and then compare it to the tips and pro video's to see what you need to work on.

I am in no means a pro - I agree with the need to lean back and pull your hands to your waist as you cross the wake to keep the ski on edge as you cross the wake - this will increase your speed dramatically as you cross the wake, so you will need to decelerate going into the turn.

Have fun and see if you can recruit some other slalom skiers to go along to help you improve.

peason
06-21-2005, 11:41 AM

I was thinking the same thing - can you say Swim Suit thread?

east tx skier
06-21-2005, 11:47 AM
Check out Schnitz's Ski Tips (http://www.schnitzskis.com/pages/460851/index.htm). About halfway down the page, there's an article entitled "In a Nutshell." It has some very handy slalom tips.

parks_jr_55
06-21-2005, 12:13 PM
Thanks for all the tips.

It seems like a majority of people on here are decent skiiers that would be able to provide advice-----and you did.

Ill try all these things over this next weekend and the 4th.

stevo137
06-21-2005, 05:58 PM

I like this guy! Pirate, we need to have a beer sometime! ;)

stevo137
06-21-2005, 06:00 PM
Parks, you got it made! I think that you are the only guy with a pic that has a rainbow in his spray! ;)

parks_jr_55
06-21-2005, 11:08 PM
Parks, you got it made! I think that you are the only guy with a pic that has a rainbow in his spray! ;)

I noticed that and thought it was pretty cool.

I will not be deleting that picture.

gr8smiles
06-22-2005, 12:07 AM
Are you using a wakeboard rope? A slalom rope will have some stretch and give you a better feel than a wakeboard rope....imho

LakePirate
06-22-2005, 12:16 AM
I like this guy! Pirate, we need to have a beer sometime! ;)

Anytime Brother..Anytime

parks_jr_55
06-22-2005, 01:31 PM
I am using a wakeboard rope.

I normally use a slalom rope but we didn't feel like going back to the dock to get the other rope, so I just made use of the wakeboard rope.

malchish
07-13-2005, 06:21 PM
Pic 1 – you pool too long. At this moment you should’ve been on another edge. You will loose speed, get huge rope slack and be late for the turn, so you are destroying your timing.
Pic 2 – if you cross the wake on the edge, your ski will not jump like a wakeboard.
I won’t repeat a good advice about your stance.
Good luck! Next season you will teach us.

parks_jr_55
07-13-2005, 06:35 PM
Is this any improvement?

I've found the two things that work best for me is shoulders square to the boat when crossing and to "step on the gas". The stepping on the gas makes it feel alot better when crossing. I cut through the wake now rather than bouncing on it and sometimes being airborne.

Before:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/vw_wr/JT1.jpg

After: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/vw_wr/JTSKI033.jpg

Another after: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/vw_wr/JTSKI035.jpg

parks_jr_55
07-13-2005, 06:49 PM
This has also helped quite a bit.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/vw_wr/uwweights.jpg

Mag_Red
07-13-2005, 06:57 PM
I don't know **** but the last after pic looks pretty darn good! Did you slow it down some???

parks_jr_55
07-13-2005, 07:08 PM
Yes I did, and then I sped it up after workin a little bit at slower speeds.

I just gotta work on my cuts with one hand not two.

Ric
07-14-2005, 11:14 AM
Yes I did, and then I sped it up after workin a little bit at slower speeds.

I just gotta work on my cuts with one hand not two.
your after pics look way better
I'm a hack but you need to be on more of an edge thru the wakes (with knees bent and it won't send you airborne).
This will also allow you to have enough speed to not be in your pull after crossing the wakes but rather skiing outbound and setting up for the turn.
don't worry about the one handed thing right now is what I'd say.

east tx skier
07-14-2005, 11:18 AM
Agreed on the one handed thing. Just work on reaching with two for now.

skisix@38
07-14-2005, 11:50 AM
The second to last pic shows you finishing a turn. You have moved all your weight to your back foot and have started your lean before the boat is there to pick you up. Let the ski finish with your weight centered and then let the boat pull you to the other side. Also, lots of helpful comments about bending your knees and pulling you arms in, etc... The best you can hope for is to keep you elbows into your vest and let your arms float to take up any slack. Keeping your elbows in(look at 3rd to last pic) will center your weight and also reduce the ski popping off the wake. If your ski pops up two things happened - one :you're pulling from your top arm and have switched balance to turning edge and two: you're leaning back on the ski as opposed to leaning away from the boat.