PDA

View Full Version : 1990 Tristar gas tank

etduc
08-19-2004, 09:30 AM
New to the forum. New to inboards. I have an old Tristar, that I'm refurbishing.

How many gallons, does the stock gas tank hold? The boat has had multiple owners, last owner didn't know, if tank had been changed.

The tank, currently in the boat, is plastic and doesn't have any internal
baffles. So fuel moves around, quiet a bit. Plus, fuel guage never reads correctly (haven't pulled the fuel float, yet.)

I haven't drained my tank, and refilled, to determined its capacity.

Just needing, specs, before I pull the tank.

Nice site. Been lurking on it, awhile.

ET

MarkP
08-19-2004, 09:35 AM
etduc

Um, I dont know

east tx skier
08-19-2004, 10:21 AM
A lot of the early 90s boats eventually have problems with the fuel sending units. I've heard of people fixing them and I've heard of people replacing them. Just depends on what your comfort level with doing that is. Since I'm not terribly mechanical, I opted to replace mine. The slosh is typical if my 93 Prostar is a good example.

Not sure what the fuel capacity of the tank was on the 90 Tristar. My manual says I have a 30 gallon tank, but I've heard people say that they aren't getting near the reported capacity. Surely someone with a 1990 boat will have his manual and give you the specs though.

Welcome to the board.

jwchapman
08-19-2004, 10:40 AM
My 1988 TriStar 190 has a 25 gallon tank. The tank is under the floor in front of the engine and drain plug. If yours is there I would bet it is the same.

If you have the TriStar 220 however, it is listed as 34 gallons for the 1988. These amounts are listed in the 1988 Brouchure which is posted in the Downloads section above.

Hoff1
08-19-2004, 01:46 PM
I have a 1990 Maristar 210. Tank is behind the rear bench. It has a 40 gallon capacity. I found this out two ways. First way, ran out of gas because @#$% gage didnít work. Filled tank. Second way, pulled back bench seat, fiberglass, and floor panels out. Tank had a sticker that said 40 gallons.

I opted to replace send unit for about $25. Took only a few minutes. I couldnít find one that was the correct depth. Gas gage reads empty when I still have about 15 gallons. I like to consider this my reserve.

east tx skier
08-19-2004, 02:17 PM
Wow! 15 gallons is a heck of a reserve. My new sending unit ran me about $70.

etduc
08-19-2004, 03:33 PM
Something must be running on the company server, preventing the
downloads from working.

25 gallons is about right. Slosh would be more of an issure, if there's an oversized tank. (Submerging the front, with passengers)

Working on fuel sender, is a piece of cake. I need to pull it, and inspect inside of tank anyway.

This boat makes a bigger wake, than I'd expected. Flattens out at
pretty good at 34. Hull needs major resurfacing. Sonar sender on outside of hull, and some kind of housing over raw water intake. Creating major drag. Which maybe, contributing to wake issues.

Anyway, it's rainy, in East Texas. Gotta get back to work.

ETduc

phecksel
08-19-2004, 08:18 PM
Tri-Star was not known for it's wake. It's very sensitive to weight, so keep it light. You will never get the gas gauge to work well. I finally was happy with an accurate reading while idling in neutral. It was a very good boat to me for several years. Hated it from day one, but never had a reason to get rid of it.

Tri-Stars hidden feature, place a 2x4 cross beam in the cutouts and rest the seat on it. Add rear supports and something to keep the seat from sliding forward, wahlah, bikini platform :)

east tx skier
08-20-2004, 11:03 AM
Man, I gotta start paying more attention. Where in East TX?

etduc
08-20-2004, 01:46 PM
Longview,tx :dance:

east tx skier
08-20-2004, 02:23 PM
Cool, glad to see another person nearby. I'm in Tyler. Wife works in Longview. Isn't there a private lake somewhere near you? Kilgore, maybe?

etduc
08-20-2004, 03:41 PM
Howdy.

Lake Cherokee is due east of Kilgore. Parents had a house there, for years. Was a pretty good, free skiing lake, till pwc messed it up.

Never even been on Lake Tyler or Lake Palestine. Any good skiing coves?

We generally, go camping, at Lake Broken Bow, OKlahoma. (When possible.) Also, go to Lake Gladewater, sometimes after work.

Just now, getting back into skiing. Really liking the Mastercraft thing.

My Tristar is pretty good, for a family boat. (Plus, I was needing a project.) The sloshing, inside the tank, just bugs me. Wouldn't be that hard to fab, an alum. tank, with internal baffles.

ETDuc

east tx skier
08-20-2004, 04:13 PM
Don't waste your time with lake Palestine. The chop will eat you alive.

Lake Tyler is skiable, but get there early. Lots of PWC. Really nice lake though. Our ski club has a lease on a cove during posted hours where the course is set up. Annual dues to use the course are only $75. I know there's a private lake somewhere near here though, but I just can't find it. If you hear anything about it, let me know.

How is the skiing on Gladewater? We checked out Lake Hawkins recently, and it looked amazing. Just don't know if it just looked good because it was late in the day.

etduc
08-20-2004, 06:13 PM
Gladewater, not worth the trip, for you. We only bought lake rights ($50 a year) cause it's 20 minutes from my house. Water's pretty flat
after 6:30. So we do quickies, out there. Lake is very small, so doesn't take much, to chop it up. However, you can get pizza delivered, there.

Haven't been to Hawkins, in years. Area around, is really growing.
May have to check it out. It's probably, a late afternoon lake.

ET

stevo137
08-20-2004, 08:30 PM
ET, I recently sold my 88 Tristar 190. Second owner and had it for four years. It never let us down. It ran great. I bought a 93 S&S and compared the wakes while I still had both. Yes the Prostar wake is "butter" but I skied at 25 off behind the Tristar and could stay on a pretty aggressive edge through both wakes and boarders liked the wake at 17-20 mph. I changed to an Ambush 13x13 4 blade prop and it smoothed out the ride and increased performance quite a bit. I don't recall hearing a sloshing in the tank.