PDA

View Full Version : Motor fuels tax in VA.

ahhudgins
03-15-2010, 01:53 PM
Do any other states give a “Motor fuels tax refund” other than Virginia? Believe me, it wasn’t advertised, I just found out by word of mouth from a friend a few years ago. Any gasoline that is purchased and is used for off road (boats, tractors, lawn mowers, etc) we get a refund of 17 cents for every gallon. I just save my receipts through the summer and turn them in to DMV at the end of the year.

Hammer
03-15-2010, 02:02 PM
How do they know how you used the fuel? There is no way to verify how you used the fuel unless you video taped every fillup. Seems there could be a lot of fudging the numbers going on.

Jesus_Freak
03-15-2010, 02:10 PM
I couldnt find anything on the TN.gov website, but I imagine it would not be advertised in bold red font on the home page...

JimN
03-15-2010, 02:29 PM
I think this was discussed here, years ago. Doug may remember more of it SINCE WIS-FARGIN-CONSIN DOESN'T GIVE US A BREAK ON ANY TAXES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They also don't use the fuel tax revenue for road repairs, which is one of the major things they're supposed to use it for.

ahhudgins
03-15-2010, 06:30 PM
I guess the state will take your word for it. I've been doing it for 4 years now. I used to fill in a form showing my total gallons used and attach my sales receipts. This year they don't even require you to attach your receipts! You are supposed to keep your originals for up to 4years for verification. I'm sure there will be some people who will fudge their receipts, but the government won't allow any fraud.....just like the way they handle welfare, food stamps, social security, etc.

JimN
03-15-2010, 07:30 PM
I guess the state will take your word for it. I've been doing it for 4 years now. I used to fill in a form showing my total gallons used and attach my sales receipts. This year they don't even require you to attach your receipts! You are supposed to keep your originals for up to 4years for verification. I'm sure there will be some people who will fudge their receipts, but the government won't allow any fraud.....just like the way they handle welfare, food stamps, social security, etc.

Exactly!:rant:

TEAL98
03-27-2010, 10:32 AM
Do any other states give a “Motor fuels tax refund” other than Virginia? Believe me, it wasn’t advertised, I just found out by word of mouth from a friend a few years ago. Any gasoline that is purchased and is used for off road (boats, tractors, lawn mowers, etc) we get a refund of 17 cents for every gallon. I just save my receipts through the summer and turn them in to DMV at the end of the year.

This is very interesting! Something I did not know but will DEFINATELY have to do! Within 2 months time, I probably went through nearly $150 worth of gasoline in the boat... that'll add up for sure

Yellow X9
03-27-2010, 10:44 AM
How do they know how you used the fuel? There is no way to verify how you used the fuel unless you video taped every fillup. Seems there could be a lot of fudging the numbers going on.

fudging the numbers going on................Nah, really

Jerseydave
03-27-2010, 10:47 PM
http://www.americanboating.org/fueltax.asp

Here's a list of the states that offer the tax refund. Big surprise, NJ is NOT one of those states! :mad:Teal, I'm moving down to VA with you buddy! :)

TEAL98
04-01-2010, 12:23 AM
http://www.americanboating.org/fueltax.asp

Here's a list of the states that offer the tax refund. Big surprise, NJ is NOT one of those states! :mad:Teal, I'm moving down to VA with you buddy! :)

You should see all the eye candy already hitting the lake on the weekends now too :D

Leme know when you de-winterize so we can start planning a weekend get together

east tx skier
04-01-2010, 12:28 PM
fudging the numbers going on................Nah, really

They can't know for sure. They did write me for the first time last year asking to see receipts and asking questions concerning how I differentiated the gas that was for off road use. I keep very good records and do, in fact, have a system in place for differentiating the boat and mower gas.

Yes, it would be easy to make up something. But, in the end, people that do that are going to screw it up for the rest of us. I agree that it's unavoidable. But here's hoping that sort of fraud is a small % of the money they are reimbursing.

ahhudgins
04-02-2010, 11:20 AM
My boat is parked under cover all week long at the Marina. When I leave for the lake on the weekends I stop and fill up my gas cans. I try to put gas in my truck during the week so I can keep the two seperate. I've often thought "I'll just get gas for the boat and the truck at the same time, how will they ever know?" Then my conscience kicks in. I guess I could never make a living being a criminal.

We used to attach our receipts to our form when we mailed it in, but I guess the goverment is trying to cut their costs and time. Now I have to keep my receipts for up to 4 years. I guess if you lose your receipts after a few years, they can take the money back.

dog paw
04-02-2010, 11:44 AM
My buddy turns all his in. I have not fooled with it. I used somewhere in the 300 gal area (boat and skis combined) so that might make up the $50 bucks the state hits me on personal prop tax for the jet ski trailer alone.....