PDA

View Full Version : How much do you pay?

Double D
03-14-2010, 12:46 PM
Well my Birthday is coming up so I need to renew my Boat, Trailer and Truck plates. I have had "special" plates on my truck for years now ever since Ohio made it easy to search and find through the Internet. I have had my current plates "WATR SKR" for 10 years now and was paying the $30 fee to have these plates. Well, "All Good Things must Come to an End" :( because my stupid state has decided to raise their fee to $50 so my total bill for one year is now $100. Keep in mind my Avalanche is not officially considered a truck since it has a back seat, so I know people with real trucks are paying a larger base price.

So what is everyone else with special plates paying?
Do you think $100, or the extra $50, is worth the price?
Your opinion will be helpful making me feel better, or worse.... :rolleyes:

sk8salomon
03-14-2010, 12:56 PM
I bought a special Smokey Mtn Nat'l parks plate for $75. It's a one time deal so i just have to pay for the sticker every year which is like 20~30 bucks, i can't remember. $50 a year isn't that bad really but i'm sure with all the water ski stickers on your boat and truck, people already know you are a water bug.

h2oskifreak
03-14-2010, 01:16 PM
I live in Colorado and Gov. Ritter has done us no favors. He chased out high paying jobs in the oil and gas field and jacked our car regristrations up by 75% and more. My boats used to be $25.25 now $50.50 (I have 2 boats and a jet ski) That is just for the boat (trailers will double too) . I have 5 cars, so I think these rate hikes will cost me around $1,000.00 in total. I may have to rethink my fleet. I know budgets are tight and the money has to come from somewhere, but I can only drive one car at a time so am I tearing up roads any worse than anyone else. Here is another one hard to figure. I have an unbrella liability insurance policy. I had 3 cars with this clown and and 2 with a "collectable" car ins. co. The collectable car ins. co went out of business and so I moved the other cars to reg. insurance. The move cost me about $450.00 per year until I figure something else out. Then I get a rate increase on my unbrella policy of over $150.00 per year. They explained it by telling me they are rated by the # of cars you have. He had no answer when I asked how a single person had more exposure w/ 5 cars, again I can only drive one at a time. This cost is getting really out of control and income is sparce, something had got to give.

2RLAKE
03-14-2010, 01:18 PM
being a fellow Ohio Buckeye, i will pay the $50 for my Yukon's license "TO R LAKE"

06' X-2 R8R H8R
03-14-2010, 04:56 PM
Trailer was a one time fee when it was purchased, truck was 350.00 and boat is 20.00 for two years. California, gotta love it.

Footin
03-14-2010, 05:42 PM
Another Buckeye here with 1WTRSKR, and I guess I will have to cough up for the increase.

CruisinGA
03-14-2010, 05:54 PM
$25 for my antique/collector car tag on my '74 FJ40 in GA.

$0 to be able to run a '53 Ga tag on my '53 Willys Wagon

Never had a vanity plate.

h2oskifreak
03-14-2010, 08:13 PM
Wow, other states are cheap. California surprised me. My INCREASE will be about a grand this year. Maybe I should move, 12 months of skiing and cheaper living sound pretty good after this freezing winter.

JohnnyB
03-14-2010, 08:15 PM
Interestingly enough, I just got a notice from my insurer that they neglected to give me the more vehicles than drivers discount. They say they owe me a credit.....I should probably let them know they owe me a credit going back 10 years...

:rolleyes:

trickskier
03-14-2010, 08:38 PM
Florida charges by vehicle weight, my Suburban was $148.20 for a 2 year University of Florida tag. However, it will be substantially more this year as they have raised the price of tags.

TX.X-30 fan
03-14-2010, 09:59 PM
I see why they are referred to as VANITY plates...................... Not paying that.

shepherd
03-15-2010, 02:19 AM
I see why they are referred to as VANITY plates...................... Not paying that.

Right. Florida is pretty expensive as it is. I don't think I'd get any more enjoyment out of my truck or boat if I paid extra for a vanity plate.

But don't listen to me. I paid extra for a boat that says "35th" on it. :rolleyes:

bcampbe7
03-15-2010, 10:22 AM
We pay $90 per year for personalized Vanderbilt Childrens hospital plates. Some of that goes directly to Vanderbilt Childrens. I don't mind paying it when I know part of the money is going towards something good.

ahhudgins
03-15-2010, 01:42 PM
I think my "vanity plates" got up to about $50 a year and that's when got rid of ours. That has been at least 5 years ago so I have no idea what the cost is now. I think in VA we pay about $28 a year for regular plates on my truck. I don't plan on buying any more boats in my life time so my trailer is a permanent plate that was a one time fee of $50. Just my way of stick'n it to the man!!!

Sodar
03-15-2010, 01:47 PM
Renewal for personalized plates is $70. Vehicle registration for my truck this year was $800.

ahhudgins
03-15-2010, 09:15 PM
Renewal for personalized plates is $70. Vehicle registration for my truck this year was $800.

It's interesting how there is such a wide range of fees. Do you have to pay $800 every year just for registration? Daaaammnn! In VA our registration (plates) are pretty cheap but we also pay property tax on our vehicles and boats every year. Some states don't have personal property taxes but they stick it to you somewhere else. I just love the idea of me going out and buying a new truck and then paying the state a tax every year just to own it.

Sodar
03-15-2010, 09:24 PM
Commifornia is a b!tch.

Double D
03-15-2010, 09:55 PM
Hmmm.... Well it seems compared to some states I have it pretty good. Yes, my registration fee for my boat license is $48 every 3 years, my trailer is $35 per year, and my truck, with vanity plates, is $100 per year. But I am not paying $800 to own my vehicle like CA, and we don't pay property taxes on these items as well. SO, I guess I will keep my "vanity" plates at least for another year. Sorry to those people in Ohio who were looking to snatch that plate number up.... :rolleyes:

TX.X-30 fan
03-15-2010, 09:58 PM
Right. Florida is pretty expensive as it is. I don't think I'd get any more enjoyment out of my truck or boat if I paid extra for a vanity plate.

But don't listen to me. I paid extra for a boat that says "35th" on it. :rolleyes:

I paid extra for a boat with MasterCraft on it. :D

TX.X-30 fan
03-15-2010, 10:02 PM

That is just what the economy needs to spur growth.:rolleyes:

Can you even imagine how poor a state would have to be to charge 800 a year to register a truck?? Cali is broken and I feel sorry for all the wonderful people there.

ski/hunt
03-15-2010, 10:08 PM
Every year in Colo. My father pays near 2800.00 for plates on his r.v. In tenn. for close to the same r.v. I pay under 100.00. No state income tax here,..but tax rate is near 10% so always buy big ticket items out of state when I can. No plate needed on trailer in tenn. either. One more plus for the SOUTH.:)

shepherd
03-16-2010, 09:56 AM
It's interesting how there is such a wide range of fees. Do you have to pay $800 every year just for registration? Daaaammnn! In VA our registration (plates) are pretty cheap but we also pay property tax on our vehicles and boats every year. Some states don't have personal property taxes but they stick it to you somewhere else. I just love the idea of me going out and buying a new truck and then paying the state a tax every year just to own it.

That's why I registered my boat in MD when we lived in Virginia (used my parents' address). Personal property taxes, mandatory vehicle inspections, state income tax. It was nice when we moved to Florida and left all that BS behind.

Willski
03-17-2010, 11:01 AM
I think I pay around 90 bucks for WILLSKI in Illinois. Non vanity is maybe 25 bucks less? Boat trailer plates are 18.00 for single axle. I think it's a little more fore for tandems.