PDA

View Full Version : Back to work tomorrow...finally!

g-Dog
03-11-2010, 10:21 PM
After being unemployed for the last six months I'm finally working again...woohoo! It's been hard for us to try and keep the house, truck, car, and of course our much loved Mastercraft...but it looks like we actually made it. Bring on the warm weather! :D

trickskier
03-11-2010, 10:28 PM
Congratulations!!! I've been there before too!!!

h2oskifreak
03-11-2010, 10:31 PM
Good deal. Starting on a Friday, that seems odd, but it is a starting day so who cares what day of the week it is. Congrats. has to feel good. I'm in a similar situation. I still have a job if you want to call it that. I work 40 hours+ a week and have had one paycheck in the last 6 months. Getting a little depresing in the Real Estate business. Our community led the nation in the last year in increase in unemployment, so it's not like I have an option to work elsewhere.

g-Dog
03-11-2010, 10:50 PM
Thanks...and my wife is pretty happy too. 8p

g-Dog
03-11-2010, 11:11 PM
Just a short story on what happened to me...

I was working for a medium sized design firm (under 200 employees), and we were doing great...highest profits in the company's 40 years. The owners wanted to retire so they ended up selling the company to a huge corporation (over 12,000 employees). They told everyone nothing would change and business would be as usual. Wrong. We all knew it wasn't going to work with thier business plan...but what could we do. A year after they took over we were down to 150 employees...and a year after that is was around 40. Waaaay too much overhead in a huge corporation to sustain us. So luckily, a couple of the "big wigs" from our old company decided to jump ship and start new. I've just been waiting for them to call saying we have stolen our clients back and are ready to go...which they finally did.

On a side note...with the amount of work that is coming in (commerical retail/restaurant) it looks very promising for the whole construction industry. Hopefully it's a good sign of things to come.

ahhudgins
03-11-2010, 11:26 PM
Finally, some good news. Glad to hear it. I've been employed at the same small company (never more than 10 people) for 25 years. We repair electronic equipment found in most production facilities and machine shops. This past year has been terrible for us, and this is the first time I've ever worried about keeping my job. I've had my pay cut, I can work all the over time I want (but I won't get paid for it), and now I'm shopping around for cheaper health insurance because one employee's health problems are killing our rates. Most of our customers are laying off because they don't have the work, and I don't see things getting any better soon with the things our government is doing.

TMCNo1
03-11-2010, 11:29 PM
Good to hear, but don't celebrate too fast, Osama Bin Obama has different plans for the working people in this country.

Monte
03-11-2010, 11:38 PM
Congrats on getting back on your feet g-dog

D3skier
03-11-2010, 11:43 PM
congrats on the new job... I'll be in your shoes in the next 7 weeks if something doesn't come along soon... my 3 year contract at Verizon Wireless is coming to an end after almost 4 years....it's starting to look like I might not be able to make it to CSM if something doesn't come up soon.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-12-2010, 02:04 AM
Great to hear g-Dog! I was out of work for just over a year. The first few months off wasn't too bad, but it sure got old in a hurry. I'm really happy to be back to your work. Best of luck in your new endeavor.

wakeX2wake
03-12-2010, 02:35 AM
congrats on the job... i was out of work myself due to a lay-off from April to November... i'm back in the thick of things now... just working my way out of the hole no pay for six months pput me in... i'm 3 hrs away from where i was and pretty happy... all i do is work these days but hey that boat will have a warmer place to live again this yr

76S&S
03-12-2010, 09:57 AM
Congrats on the new job. I'm sure it's been a rough stretch but sounds like you can see the light at the end of the tunnel now.

Justjoe
03-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Good deal on the new job! I was just downsized in Feb, so... looking forward to a new job myself.