PDA

View Full Version : Closed toe boots

CruisinGA
03-11-2010, 08:08 PM
I'm still fairly new to the wakeboard scene, having only wakeboarded a couple of times prior to buying our boat last July, so I'm still trying to figure out some things.

I see that the trend seems to be towards closed-toe boots. Any functional reason?

The reason I ask is because I'm casually looking for a new set of bindings, my board came with Hyperlite Sprints, and they are comfortable and easy to get on and off, but off little support on the foot. They only really get tight just above the ankle.

If anyone has any boot recommendations, I'd appreciate. I'm certainly an intermediate rider, but getting better fast. :D

Big Dogg
03-11-2010, 09:18 PM
Closed toed bindings offer more a custom fit. Most but not all are heat moldable to your foot so that they give a more natural feel and fit. This results in more comfort (toes dont fall asleep) and better support. More than anything, no slip forward can occur when you land. Ive never had it happen but I have heard of guys feet coming completely out through the front of the binding. However, the draw back is they are less universal, not going to have the ability to match the use of other riders. I love my closed toed Slingshot D2s, I had open toe CWB Zeus binding that I rode for 4 months before I got the slingshots and I will not go back. You will find that you can ride longer because your feet do not tire (sp?). As well as support that you will need for more advanced landings. I love my Slingshots but beings that you ride a Hyperlite you may want to look to something from them. I would recommend a low plate that puts the base of the boot closer to the board as well as a small plate that reduces weight. This ends up with more board control with more minimal movement, again more natural. I hope that helps

Damen
03-11-2010, 09:38 PM
I went from open toe to closed toe a few years back and really like the snug feel they give. That said I am not really sure that there is any huge benefit in closed toe.

In my opinion fit and feel is the most import thing when it comes to boots. You can still ride all day and have fun on a board that is maybe a fraction to big or doesn't pop as well but your day will soon be ruined if your boots hurt your feet.

High end boots generally have a little more time put into them so they are usually more comfortable, but try plenty on to be sure.

Damen

wakeX2wake
03-12-2010, 02:41 AM
pretty much a preference thing imho... i like ronix boots... most comfy i've had (and i've tried a good bit)... the ronix ones and cells are super comfy... and i don't have to worry about my foot sliding out the front on a rough landing... they're a little warmer in the colder parts of the season... just my 2 cents

Jerseydave
03-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Most of the guys I ride with have switched to closed toe for the above reasons.

My son and I both have the LF Watsons, great boots!
My buddy swears by the Slingshots.
You should try some on at your local board shop, walk around in them and see what feels best to you.

Big Dogg
03-13-2010, 12:52 AM
Most of the guys I ride with have switched to closed toe for the above reasons.

My son and I both have the LF Watsons, great boots!
My buddy swears by the Slingshots.
You should try some on at your local board shop, walk around in them and see what feels best to you.

I too swear by my Slingshot board and bindings. They take a few rides to get used to but as soon as you understand how the boards ride you will fall in love with the boards ability

ShamrockIV
03-13-2010, 10:10 PM
I love my RONIX ones. would not go back to open toes. sized fit is nice. once they get broken in they feel like house shoes!!! dont go cheap if you can help it. good luck

CruisinGA
03-15-2010, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the info.

Most of the reasons for the closed toe boot are sort of what I figured. I've had my foot go through the open toe of a boot, but it was on some old boots on a board I was borrowing after I broke my Hyperlite.

Since few of my friends have their own boards, it sounds like I better hold off on sized closed toe boots until I have a second board for myself and can leave more universal boots on my old board.

Are the mounting patterns pretty similar? So could I run a Ronix boot on my Hyperlite board?

If anyone has any suggestions for a moderatly universal, open toe boot that would be great. I'm ready for something with a little more support than my Hyperlite Sprint bindings. Going to try to stop by the local board shop and try some on. Just hate to waste their time if I'm not planning on paying full retail for a pair of boots. (I have bought other stuff from them).

erkoehler
03-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Let me know if I can help, we have a full line of Ronix gear and some boots from last year.

I'll put together a nice price for you. Just email me.

Eric@Chicagomastercraft.com

nmcjr
03-18-2010, 11:20 PM
Since I saw your wetsuit post-closed toe are better for cold water for sure, and I think they are more supportive. I love my Ronix Ones-super comfortable, and I ride a LF board, so I am not partial to the Ronix brand, but in the end it is purely personal choice. I tried many different bindings, and the Ones stood out as the most comfortable while still being quite supportive. Whatever you buy, I recommend '09s or later since at that point most are using 6" spacing on the bases.