PDA

View Full Version : Harold is it Tomatoe time yet?

CantRepeat
03-11-2010, 12:55 PM
Changed up the thread title as we have moved on to bigger and better things.

TMCNo1
03-11-2010, 02:50 PM
What's your time line look like?

Not yet, I don't plant till the last weekend in April or the first weekend in May just to be sure we get past the last deep frost. I've got the ground fertilized and limed already and waiting for the rains to soak it in.
As per the last couple years and with the grandbaby eating most of the tomatoes, I'm just doing it mostly for her. I can't have but small infrequent amounts of tomatoes anymore because they are extremely high in Potassiun and are not allowed in my diet due to my kidney failure and dialysis.

h2oskifreak
03-11-2010, 03:27 PM
Not yet, I don't plant till the last weekend in April or the first weekend in May just to be sure we get past the last deep frost. I've got the ground fertilized and limed already and waiting for the rains to soak it in.
As per the last couple years and with the grandbaby eating most of the tomatoes, I'm just doing it mostly for her. I can't have but small infrequent amounts of tomatoes anymore because they are extremely high in Potassiun and are not allowed in my diet due to my kidney failure and dialysis.

My garden is usually pretty popular with the friends, relatives and neighbors. I plant 2 plants of "Grape Tomatoes" and the two plants produce hundreds, if not thousands of them. They are small and very sweet. With support, these plants were over 7 ft. tall last two years. Your grandaughter might just love them, I know my neices do. I take them about 100 a week and their mom puts them in their school lunches each day. They never seem to get tired of them. Don't get the "Cherry Tomatoes" and think they will be as good or as sweet, larger but not as good. I'm inspired and home w/ my son today (Spring Break), I think we will go prep. the garden for planting. Here in CO we are at least 5 weeks from planting, snowed yesterday.

brucemac
03-11-2010, 03:38 PM

i'm sorry to hear this. are you doing okay?

TMCNo1
03-11-2010, 03:58 PM
My garden is usually pretty popular with the friends, relatives and neighbors. I plant 2 plants of "Grape Tomatoes" and the two plants produce hundreds, if not thousands of them. They are small and very sweet. With support, these plants were over 7 ft. tall last two years. Your grandaughter might just love them, I know my neices do. I take them about 100 a week and their mom puts them in their school lunches each day. They never seem to get tired of them. Don't get the "Cherry Tomatoes" and think they will be as good or as sweet, larger but not as good. I'm inspired and home w/ my son today (Spring Break), I think we will go prep. the garden for planting. Here in CO we are at least 5 weeks from planting, snowed yesterday.

My and Maddie's production for the last tow years has been around 150 tomatoes from two Big Beef plants, but last year we hung a bag with 5 cherry/grape tomato plants in it off the backyard swing and we got 400 grape/cherry tomatoes from it. Maddie has some type of tomato for about every meal and even snacks on them after school, beats anything we've ever seen.

TMCNo1
03-11-2010, 04:11 PM
i'm sorry to hear this. are you doing okay?

I'm OK, but I have had to cut out soooooo much of the good food from my diet that effect my kidneys that has salt, protein, potassium, phosphorus in it to get/keep everything stable and till I can get on dialysis. After dialysis starts, the diet can be relaxed some. My portion size has also been reduced by about 2/3 too, but you have to do what your told. I have to eat 3 small complete meals a day in order for the medications to work and keep the kidneys and dialysis in balance.
It's been a lot to absorb, learn and understand, but I'm getting there and Lynn is learning too with me. Our week long/all day classes on learning how to take care of my Teenkoff Catheter in my abdomen and the operation of the Cycler for the Peritoneal Dialysis I will do for 10 hours each night starts Monday, then I'm on it till...............?

brucemac
03-11-2010, 04:21 PM
ugh. i wish you the best with all of that. at least it sounds like some of the diet restrictions will loosen up once you've been on dialysis for a bit. i couldn't imagine. any chance of a transplant? happy thoughts here for you harold. hang in there! everybody's got something :)

thatsmrmastercraft
03-11-2010, 04:24 PM
I'm OK, but I have had to cut out soooooo much of the good food from my diet that effect my kidneys that has salt, protein, potassium, phosphorus in it to get/keep everything stable and till I can get on dialysis. After dialysis starts, the diet can be relaxed some. My portion size has also been reduced by about 2/3 too, but you have to do what your told. I have to eat 3 small complete meals a day in order for the medications to work and keep the kidneys and dialysis in balance.
It's been a lot to absorb, learn and understand, but I'm getting there and Lynn is learning too with me. Our week long/all day classes on learning how to take care of my Teenkoff Catheter in my abdomen and the operation of the Cycler for the Peritoneal Dialysis I will do for 10 hours each night starts Monday, then I'm on it till...............?

Wow, thats a lot to pronounce! You sure ended up with some hoops to jump through but it beats the alternative. Keep going at it, we're all with you.

TMCNo1
03-11-2010, 05:57 PM
ugh. i wish you the best with all of that. at least it sounds like some of the diet restrictions will loosen up once you've been on dialysis for a bit. i couldn't imagine. any chance of a transplant? happy thoughts here for you harold. hang in there! everybody's got something :)

In the next few weeks I'll be interviewed/evaluated/tested and possibly put on the long list for a transplant as all AKD patients are and if it would happen and it's not rejected and I take care of myself, it will be good for about 10 years. That would put me past the age of 72, which is the age limit for transplants, then I would go back on dialysis for the duration of my life.

h2oskifreak
03-11-2010, 10:17 PM
Serious thing to deal with, but you are paying attention. We all wish you the best and as with anything keep a positive attitude, it does help. Too many people want to pretend it isn't there, so I am glad you are educating yourself and doing the right things for you and your family.

CantRepeat
03-13-2010, 09:37 AM
Wow, Harold, I'm sorry to hear that. I have a friend that has kindey issues as well and had to modify his diet a bunch. I know that has to suck.

h2oskifreak
03-13-2010, 11:47 AM
Maddie may like the "Fantastic" variety also. It is a little sweeter than the beef variety in my experiance. I plant 10-12 plants each year and have them coming out my ears by Aug./Sept. Salsa anyone?

CantRepeat
03-13-2010, 12:50 PM
Maddie may like the "Fantastic" variety also. It is a little sweeter than the beef variety in my experiance. I plant 10-12 plants each year and have them coming out my ears by Aug./Sept. Salsa anyone?

We will take any extra you!

And post up your salsa recipe please!!

TMCNo1
04-24-2010, 02:58 PM
I spent the morning getting the 2010 tomato crop in the ground and hung up with Maddie, my greenthumb grandaughter. Two Super Steaks and 6 large Cherry tomato plants in the bag.

TMCNo1
05-25-2010, 12:38 PM
Getting there,

M-Funf
05-25-2010, 01:44 PM
Mine are in, too, Harold :D

coz
05-25-2010, 02:06 PM
Getting there,

I know you have a new diet and all, so if you can't eat these you can send them to Az and I'll pay shipping.....seriously :D

M-Funf
05-25-2010, 02:35 PM
I got a new raised bed built for tomatoes and other veggies this year...:D

Just got it done Sunday. Should be planted this week...

TMCNo1
05-25-2010, 03:22 PM
I know you have a new diet and all, so if you can't eat these you can send them to Az and I'll pay shipping.....seriously :D

During the time between my hospital stay in February and the middle of March, I had to lay off many foods because of my kidneys not being able to remove the minerals and toxins that they should.
Now that I am on Peritoneal Dialysis, I am back to more eating normal foods in order to keep my important mineral levels at a ideal level. After 3 months, they are near perfect and potassium is one of them that is measured and tomatoes and orange juice are one that has a lot, but eaten in moderation I am doing fine. The granddaughter will eat all I and Lynn can't and if I could send you some without spoiling I would, unlike these winter foreign green tomatoes they ship that's not fit to eat and taste like a paper grocery bag.

coz
05-25-2010, 03:40 PM
and taste like a paper grocery bag.

Well if I wanted that, I'd just have my wife cook.......seriously :D

RexDog1
05-25-2010, 08:47 PM
During the time between my hospital stay in February and the middle of March, I had to lay off many foods because of my kidneys not being able to remove the minerals and toxins that they should.
Now that I am on Peritoneal Dialysis, I am back to more eating normal foods in order to keep my important mineral levels at a ideal level. After 3 months, they are near perfect and potassium is one of them that is measured and tomatoes and orange juice are one that has a lot, but eaten in moderation I am doing fine. The granddaughter will eat all I and Lynn can't and if I could send you some without spoiling I would, unlike these winter foreign green tomatoes they ship that's not fit to eat and taste like a paper grocery bag.

# 1 It sounds like you are doing better, Keep it up!!
I hope to get out your way in July and look you and some other TT peeps….up:D
Tomatoes look good!!!! And your granddaughter is getting so big
js

JohnE
05-25-2010, 09:26 PM
I didn't realize Dan Quayle was a member here.

atlfootr
05-26-2010, 09:17 AM
Thanks Harold for posting your tomato pics, because as you already know

CantRepeat
05-26-2010, 10:42 AM
Looking good guys, looking good!

TMCNo1
06-10-2010, 08:19 PM
It won't be long, Maddie watering her crop to pay for all the country style steak and gravy, fresh green beans, fresh corn on the cob, fresh ripe pineapple, buttermilk biscuits and chocolate truffle cake she ate. SIL has a law class to teach on Thursday evening so Traci and Maddie came up and ate dinner with us, then took him his dinner.

M-Funf
06-10-2010, 08:25 PM
Do you keep the roots in water? Hydroponic tomato growing?

TMCNo1
06-10-2010, 08:34 PM

I had to replaced the bucket from previous posts but I keep the last 3 holes in the bag in the water with liquid Miracle Gro in with the water. I replace the water every 3 to 4 days since it wants to turn green from the fertilizer, but the 5 plants will drink nearly a gallon of water a day from the bucket. The roots have grown down into the bottom of the bag from the top plants too and the potting soil, what's left of it, wicks the water all the way up to the top. In 8 weeks the roots have practically consumed all the potting soil and the bag is all but root bound. There is about 60 cherry tomatoes growing with another 100 blooms all over the plants. I've tied them up to the swing post twice already with no end in sight.

The stand alone Beef Steak tomato plants have about 15 tomatoes a piece growing on them, with blooms everywhere.

M-Funf
08-26-2010, 08:04 PM
3/4 pounder...

M-Funf
08-26-2010, 08:05 PM
Also got about 50 Serrano peppers...many more on the plant...

TX.X-30 fan
08-26-2010, 08:38 PM

Yes but are we still talking tomatoes??

M-Funf
08-26-2010, 08:38 PM
Yes but are we still talking tomatoes??

:rolleyes: .

TX.X-30 fan
08-26-2010, 08:40 PM
Very nice Jeff!!!!!!!!

M-Funf
08-26-2010, 08:41 PM
Very nice Jeff!!!!!!!!

:wavey: . Thanks Stu.

LOL

TX.X-30 fan
08-26-2010, 08:42 PM
Are the serranos hot/hot?? Ours are but not near your production levels.

M-Funf
08-26-2010, 08:44 PM
Are the serranos hot/hot?? Ours are but not near your production levels.

Not smokin' hot, but pretty good. I got the wrong ones this year. I got some really HOT red peppers (I think they were Serrano's, too but not sure). They were SO hot...had to make sure to wash yer hands good before you take a leak...:eek3:

M-Funf
08-26-2010, 08:46 PM
From Wikistupidium:

Mature serrano pepper plants reach a height of between one and a half and five feet tall. Each plant can hold up to fifty pepper pods. Unripe serrano peppers are green, but the color at maturity varies. Common colors are green, red, brown, orange, or yellow. When pickled they are known as a sport pepper.

The serrano pepper's Scoville rating is 10,000 to 25,000. Their flavor is crisp, bright, and biting, notably hotter than the Jalapeno pepper they resemble, and they are typically eaten raw.

Bellinghamster
09-03-2010, 12:52 AM
Habaneros are my thing.:firejump: Here's a picture of today's harvest (about 2-1/2 to 3 pounds). I picked 2-1/2 pounds on Monday. If anyone has ever eaten a habanero, they'll know that 5 pounds is probably enough to make a pot of rippin hot chilli for a small city (400,000+ on the scoville scale!). I grow them hydroponically in a greenhouse, which is really the only option for hot peppers in Western Washington.

Sledge
09-06-2010, 11:26 PM
Harvesting the melons............ummm......errrr........
Tomatoes I meant!!! Tomatoes!

M-Funf
10-08-2011, 06:13 PM
Hey Harold...How are Maddie's tomatoes coming along? Ours were late this year because it was a cool summer, but they have finally started to ripen. It may actually be a good thing...the fruit got much larger before they ripened!

I've made 3 batches of tomato sauce, and one batch of soup. Getting about 6 lbs. of tomatoes a week right now. If the weather holds, we should be getting tomatoes through Thanksgiving.

I had a volunteer this year...Couer de Beu. Very nice oxheart tomatoe. Not acidic at all. Great for a Caprese...

CantRepeat
05-11-2013, 08:26 AM
Yo, whatcha got?

pmkkdx
05-13-2013, 11:21 AM
squash starting to come in ... tomatoes covered with blooms...

http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii561/pmkkdx/Georgetown-RoundRock-20130512-00969_zpsd59c277a.jpg (http://s1260.photobucket.com/user/pmkkdx/media/Georgetown-RoundRock-20130512-00969_zpsd59c277a.jpg.html)

CantRepeat
05-23-2013, 03:01 PM
Looking good. My squash are about 4 inches long now.

I've got some nice jalapenos, cucumbers, tomatoes, and artichokes going now.

Dylan
05-23-2013, 06:41 PM
Great thread! The house we bought in December had a really nice raised garden bed that was abandoned by the previous owner. So I ran a soaker hose on a sprinkler line to it, and filled it up a little less than two months ago. We filled it up with all sorts of starters, without a plan really.

We planted 4 kinds of tomatoes, 6 yellow squash plants (overkill!), an eggplant, artichoke (I later learned these get HUGE), 4 of some sort of beans, 4 bell peppers, and 4 cucumbers I think. That's all I can recall now. As of now, the squash is bonanza. Here is a before, and some of the bounty this week. I'll post a fresh current pic when I get home. Sorry about the Instagram photos, had to steal them from my wife.

CantRepeat
05-23-2013, 07:27 PM
Yeah, I hear you!! I planet 5 artichokes since both my wife and daughter love them. They are already out of control, just like the squash.

I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Dylan
05-23-2013, 08:59 PM
Here's the status @ less than 8 weeks, and today's bounty

CantRepeat
05-23-2013, 09:29 PM
YOWZA!!!

Those squash are epic!!!

Is that a few strawberries I see on the counter?

Dylan
05-23-2013, 10:39 PM
Yep. My wife did a strawberry pot on the side. Funny thing is, she used to kill everything and hated plants. Ever since the garden, she is all excited about it which is awesome! I gotta say I'm into it a lot more than I thought I would be.

CantRepeat
06-18-2013, 09:55 AM
Artichokes coming in now!!

Dylan
06-18-2013, 11:47 AM
Looks great!

CantRepeat
02-24-2014, 05:10 PM
Out in the garden this morning doing some weeding and getting ready to til it all up!

Jason.H.
02-25-2014, 10:28 AM
Wife and I are going to home depot for some 2x12's and are going to do a raised garden bed this year. Im hesitant as far getting the small tiller in there between the rows. Any of you do raised beds? if so what size? we were thinking like 10x24'

Jason.H.
02-25-2014, 10:29 AM
Just noticed most of you all's pictures are of raised beds.. shoulda looked harder before I asked.

pmkkdx
02-25-2014, 11:22 AM
I used the treated landscaping timbers from Home Depot, looks like a 5-6 inch diameter pole with flats milled on top & bottom, easily stacked to height desired, using 4-5 inch deck screws (3 per timber) and offset the ends each layer. I made our raised beds 4'x8' and use a spade to break up for planting. This size will accomodate 2 rows of tomatoes x 4 plants long (8 total) with easy access from both sides. Next bed will accomodate simliar numbers of various squash with pepper plants between. I plan on doing another similar this year to get an asparagus bed started for the full 8' length and about half the width (takes several years to get established), with the other half in onions and/or new potatoes and/or okra. We live on solid limestone, so I went up 4-5 layers of the landscape timbers to get about 12-16 inches of soil and had to bring in every bit of the soil. Once planted, I use a fine thin layer hardwood mulch to retain moisture. This method allows for paths between each bed for easy access without having to bring in more soil just to walk on.

Willski
02-25-2014, 11:32 AM
Out in the garden this morning doing some weeding and getting ready to til it all up!

Huh?

It is going to be -5 here tonight!

Willski
02-25-2014, 11:35 AM
Wife and I are going to home depot for some 2x12's and are going to do a raised garden bed this year. Im hesitant as far getting the small tiller in there between the rows. Any of you do raised beds? if so what size? we were thinking like 10x24'

We have some small raised beds, but also don't plant much.