PDA

View Full Version : rebuilding 351w

MC76restore
03-11-2010, 12:33 PM
i am in the process of rebuilding a ford 351W for my 76 MC ss. started with two non running marine motors, one 1976 reverse rotation motor (seized, originally in the boat), and a 1979 standard rotation (bad distributor and maybe bad oil pump).
hoping to end up with a running reverse rotation motor in the end.

anybody know where i could find a good online source for rebuild info/specs?
or where i could pick up a good repair manual for these motors?

what i really need is a list of what bolts need to be tightened to what torques. (google led me to rebuild kits and engine output torque numbers).

thanks in advanced. :toast:

Kyle
03-11-2010, 05:16 PM
I just rebuilt mine. I can scan your torque specs sheet and post it if it would help. I will continue to check back if you need any other pages. I will also look for main berrings, cylinder head, and manifold tightening order. My shop manual is in my boat, wich is at the storage barn in my tool chest. I will be up there later tonight and I will bring it home. Let me know what I can help you with. If you need my number PM me so I can give it to you. That way I can get you answers quicker if needed.

One day I left the book at home and my sister had to go get it and take pics from phone and text me the pic so I could get torque sheet myself.

MC76restore
03-19-2010, 03:39 PM
haha, ive been there, sending pics of spec sheets is never good. i did find a spec sheet for the torques on another forum but it was not master craft specific. if you can post it i will double check all of my bolts before final assembly. if its not handy don't worry about it. although i dont have the sequence for anything so that might also be helpful.

sorry for taking so long to respond i thought i had subscribed to my thread so it would pop up when there was activity but apparently i didn't.

thanks.

Kyle
03-20-2010, 04:41 AM
haha, ive been there, sending pics of spec sheets is never good. i did find a spec sheet for the torques on another forum but it was not master craft specific. if you can post it i will double check all of my bolts before final assembly. if its not handy don't worry about it. although i dont have the sequence for anything so that might also be helpful.

sorry for taking so long to respond i thought i had subscribed to my thread so it would pop up when there was activity but apparently i didn't.

thanks.

I will get the info to you in the next day. The order of tightening and the Indmar tourque spec sheet will be posted.

Please let me know if you need anything else.

MC76restore
03-21-2010, 06:02 PM
thanks Kyle,
just painted the motor yesterday and i will probably start assembling the rest of it tomorrow.

79_SnS_atl
03-23-2010, 10:11 AM
Can anyone tell me what the automotive equivilent to the 79 PCM motors that they put into these MC's at this time? I know that it is a Ford 351 and that they were more than likely shelf stock that PCM bought from Ford in the da,y but what is this motor the same as if I went to an auto parts store to get gaskets and other common items? Can I use any FOrd 351 W listing like say from 1972 Mustang Mach I?

MC76restore
03-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Can anyone tell me what the automotive equivilent to the 79 PCM motors that they put into these MC's at this time? I know that it is a Ford 351 and that they were more than likely shelf stock that PCM bought from Ford in the da,y but what is this motor the same as if I went to an auto parts store to get gaskets and other common items? Can I use any FOrd 351 W listing like say from 1972 Mustang Mach I?

i have been telling O'Reillys to give me 79 F250 parts. so far so good:cool:, they had a gasket kit for the whole rebuild for 45 bucks (if you look it up online and give them the part number) and everything seems to match the gaskets i pulled off. also got my connecting rod bearings from them and the main bearings from autozone.

MC76restore
03-24-2010, 12:51 AM
ok, nevermind my last post. my gasket kit was incorrect. looking through the 1972 mustang mach 1 i found the correct one.
here is the O'Reillys parts number for the correct gasket kit. or at least the pic shows the correct parts.
FS8548PT2

H20skeefreek
03-24-2010, 07:46 AM
I use '72 Mach I all the time. Then the guys want to talk about my car. "aw man, that'd be sweet, do you have her here?" Then I have to explain that I lied to them and they get all mad.

MC76restore
03-24-2010, 09:21 AM
I use '72 Mach I all the time. Then the guys want to talk about my car. "aw man, that'd be sweet, do you have her here?" Then I have to explain that I lied to them and they get all mad.

haha, i can see that. i didnt really think about that. now im going to have to do the same, when i asked for 79 F250 parts they never asked anything about it. LOL

thatsmrmastercraft
03-24-2010, 10:16 AM
i have been telling O'Reillys to give me 79 F250 parts. so far so good:cool:, they had a gasket kit for the whole rebuild for 45 bucks (if you look it up online and give them the part number) and everything seems to match the gaskets i pulled off. also got my connecting rod bearings from them and the main bearings from autozone.

The problem with most parts stores is that the guys that work there don't know parts - just how to look them up on their computer. I have taken to looking up the parts on their website prior to going there and just giving them a part numbers. Saves time and get the right parts the first time around.

MC76restore
03-24-2010, 10:42 AM
The problem with most parts stores is that the guys that work there don't know parts - just how to look them up on their computer. I have taken to looking up the parts on their website prior to going there and just giving them a part numbers. Saves time and get the right parts the first time around.

that's what im doing too, it tuns out that even my 79 OMC block is the 74 and older first gen ford 351 block. so its different than the automotive block available in 79. these blocks are very sought after even now because the pre-75 blocks are much stronger. makes me feel a lot better about spending $300 and driving 4hrs for a complete OMC motor.

even looking through the available gasket kits for the 72 there was only one that was correct for my block, so you have to look through and make sure you are getting the correct parts.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-24-2010, 10:55 AM
that's what im doing too, it tuns out that even my 79 OMC block is the 74 and older first gen ford 351 block. so its different than the automotive block available in 79. these blocks are very sought after even now because the pre-75 blocks are much stronger. makes me feel a lot better about spending $300 and driving 4hrs for a complete OMC motor.

even looking through the available gasket kits for the 72 there was only one that was correct for my block, so you have to look through and make sure you are getting the correct parts.

The learning curve on my first MC has been a combination of a run-away train ride, a circus & a demolition derby...................and I'm loving every minute of it.

MC76restore
03-24-2010, 11:41 AM
The learning curve on my first MC has been a combination of a run-away train ride, a circus & a demolition derby...................and I'm loving every minute of it.

that right there pretty much sums it up to a T. :D
and i think im only about half way done, who knows whats in store.

wheelerd
03-25-2010, 03:24 AM
anybody know where i could find a good online source for rebuild info/specs?
or where i could pick up a good repair manual for these motors?

what i really need is a list of what bolts need to be tightened to what torques. (google led me to rebuild kits and engine output torque numbers).

I purchased the factory industrial/marine manual last year direct from Indmar for $30. it covers the 302 and the 351. It's not listed on their website but just email or call them. (It also contains the Velvet Drive tranny manual -- a nice bonus.)
I also downloaded the complete Pleasurecraft 351 manual from the web -- can't remember where, maybe the CorrectCraft site? It is reliable for any aspects of engine repair/rebuild that aren't specific to Indmar or PCM,