PDA

View Full Version : Maristar Tranny/Drivetrain Problems

sully
06-19-2005, 11:08 AM
Background:
Out cruising St. Croix River (lot of debris lately due to storms and high water) when boat stats to shudder and shake. Feels like I bent a prop blade. All I can do is idle back to the Marina. Pull the boat out expecting to have a mangled prop, not even the slightest bend in the tips of prop.
I checked:
Prop is tight on the shaft.
Shaft looks straight.
Tranny oil level is fine and gets changed every fifty hours, since birth.

Any Suggestions?

Leroy
06-19-2005, 11:43 AM
That's too bad Sully, could it have just been something hanging on, or the motor running rough, still shuddering and shaking? (run rough in idle?)

NatesGr8
06-19-2005, 11:50 AM
The slightest of bends or tweaks (sometimes not even noticeable by eye) can cause all sorts of vibration at high rpms, since the level of vibration increases exponentially with speed. I would check the shaft with a dial indicator and also remove the prop and examine it closely for any bends or deformations. Try laying it down on a flat table and checking all the gaps and making sure none of the prop blades are out of whack. Good luck.

Nathan

Toolit2Ride
06-19-2005, 11:24 PM
Sorry to hear about that Sully! I have a '99 Maristar that I take out on the St. Croix river all the time and cruise to Prescot or Treasure Island. I started noticing a drowning noise at high RPM and some vibration and I don't remember hitting anything either. It turned out to be a bent strut and there was a lot of presure on the drive shaft. The strut is that brass piece that holds the drive shaft to the bottom of the boat by the prop. Must of hit something small and didn't even no it. $500 later it runs like a champ.

Leroy
06-20-2005, 01:00 AM
Even in my lake this afternoon I notice several pieces of wood that I just missed that could have done the same to me I think. :(

sully
06-20-2005, 11:55 AM
I just had a hard time believing I had a tranny problem ... so I took it this morning with no problems at all. Started slow and gradually brought her up to full power ...twice, then went for a long cruise, then gave her the Hole shoot test, no problems. Must have gotten something caught in the drive train.

east tx skier
06-20-2005, 11:58 AM
Could you have gotten some weeks or something wound up in the prop. We have heavy vegetation on parts of our lake. I got something wound up in my shaft and thought I'd hit something because of a mild vibration. A couple of hard reverses didn't shake it right away. Turned out to be just some weeds that weren't too easy to shake right away.

dmac
06-20-2005, 12:02 PM
I have experienced the same sudden, violent vibration. I put it in reverse and it was then that I "felt" something dislodge off the prop. No problem since.