PDA

View Full Version : So Hurt Locker

CantRepeat
03-09-2010, 07:39 AM
The worst military movie ever and about as bad a portrait of what it was like to be EOD in Iraq in 2004 as you could possible get.

Running around solo in a 1114/1151, entering a building before had been cleared, a hoode and ACUs in Iraq, EOD capping MAMs at 1000+ meters with .50 cals.

Last I check, our EOD teams were never less then two vehicles and always rolled with 4 other gun trucks.

Sorry, I can't even come close to pushing the "I believe button" on this one.

Who the hell was the consultant on this film? Rambo?

BriEOD
03-09-2010, 08:10 AM
Agree and disagree with you. First, note the last three letters in my screen name.

Yes, some of it was unrealistic. Yes, EOD is a supporting function.

However, it is nice to see the core mission of EOD illuminated via a mainstream flick. High demand low density units such as a EOD, SOF, Intel are crucial in fighting an insurgency and have been crushed with the battle rhythm associated with dual wars (many 6mo over, 6 mo home--recycle). While I don't have any hard data to back this comment with, I'd be inclined to wager that by function density EOD has had as many folks hurt and killed as any other military function across the board (EOD is joint service).

So complain and moan if you like, me, I'm going to appreciate some limelight for guys who perform the most dangerous job in Iraq/Afghanistan--bar none/no debate don't even try--who I knew/know like Roy Buckmaster, Tim Weiner and Brad Clemons (deceased) and Chris Ramaka (lost both legs) and Adam Popp (lost eye and arm) and the list goes on-and-on. God Bless em' all!

http://www.eodmemorial.org/memorial.html

bigmac
03-09-2010, 09:27 AM
I was glad to see some light shed on the problem of IED's (although I don't think they portrayed the problem as being as serious as it is) and I was glad to see EOD get some focus for the courageous heroes that they are.

But, overall I gotta agree with 92Maristar....that film, and the protagonist in particular, had way too much Hollywood and not nearly enough military professionalism.

Skipper
03-09-2010, 09:41 AM
It would be too boring to show it like it is. Nobody wants to watch a documentary. They gotta Hollywood it up. Same thing happened with "Black Hawk Down" and "We Were Soldiers". It is entertainment. Sometimes it is frustrating but I just remember, it's only a movie.

CantRepeat
03-09-2010, 10:39 AM
Agree and disagree with you. First, note the last three letters in my screen name.

Yes, some of it was unrealistic. Yes, EOD is a supporting function.

However, it is nice to see the core mission of EOD illuminated via a mainstream flick. High demand low density units such as a EOD, SOF, Intel are crucial in fighting an insurgency and have been crushed with the battle rhythm associated with dual wars (many 6mo over, 6 mo home--recycle). While I don't have any hard data to back this comment with, I'd be inclined to wager that by function density EOD has had as many folks hurt and killed as any other military function across the board (EOD is joint service).

So complain and moan if you like, me, I'm going to appreciate some limelight for guys who perform the most dangerous job in Iraq/Afghanistan--bar none/no debate don't even try--who I knew/know like Roy Buckmaster, Tim Weiner and Brad Clemons (deceased) and Chris Ramaka (lost both legs) and Adam Popp (lost eye and arm) and the list goes on-and-on. God Bless em' all!

http://www.eodmemorial.org/memorial.html

Brian, (you don't have to point out the EOD, we've already discussed military and I know what you did while you were in).

I'm not sure where you are going with this. I was in no way talking about the actions of actual military EOD. I'm not even looking to debate the importance of the teams that I work with while deployed. You don't need to tell me about what they have done for the fight, I already know.

What I said was, the movie is the worst military movie I've ever tried to watch. The over the top Hollywood stuff ruined it for me. They could have kept it more in keeping with how units really operate and still focused on EODs core role. I do believe you would have enjoyed that more as well.

CantRepeat
03-09-2010, 10:43 AM
I was glad to see some light shed on the problem of IED's (although I don't think they portrayed the problem as being as serious as it is) and I was glad to see EOD get some focus for the courageous heroes that they are.

But, overall I gotta agree with 92Maristar....that film, and the protagonist in particular, had way too much Hollywood and not nearly enough military professionalism.

I agree, most people that haven't been, or talk intimately with someone that has been, wont understand just how bad the IEDs are and have become. When they first started using IR triggers with daisy-chained EFPs it was a mess in Iraq. I lost a few friends during that time and 12 the last time I was there, ALL but one to IEDs.

CantRepeat
03-09-2010, 12:12 PM
You know what, I don't think anyone could make a "good" war movie to be honest. War isn't all that entertaining really. So, at least make it accurate.

Finnsdad
03-09-2010, 05:56 PM
I would rather watch WWII in HD on the history channel, that's the real deal. The episode about Iwo Jima was amazing.

ahhudgins
03-09-2010, 06:18 PM
I would rather watch WWII in HD on the history channel, that's the real deal. The episode about Iwo Jima was amazing.

I agree, I watched WWII in HD for several hours and was glued to the TV. I watched The Hurt Locker and was completely disappointed. I never served in the military but I doubt that our service guys stay up late, getting sloshed, and beating the crap out of each other in the barracks, then get up early and go defuse bombs. Also, if you find 6 IEDs connected in parallel to a single feed wire, do you spend 10 minutes cutting each fuse or do you just cut the one feed wire first before the enemy connects his 9V Duracell battery to it? That scene (along with many others) made it hard for me to finish watching the whole move. When the credits were rolling and I saw who directed it, I said “Oh, a woman directed it”. Just my 2 cents.

bigmac
03-09-2010, 07:14 PM
I agree, I watched WWII in HD for several hours and was glued to the TV. I watched The Hurt Locker and was completely disappointed. I never served in the military but I doubt that our service guys stay up late, getting sloshed, and beating the crap out of each other in the barracks, then get up early and go defuse bombs. Also, if you find 6 IEDs connected in parallel to a single feed wire, do you spend 10 minutes cutting each fuse or do you just cut the one feed wire first before the enemy connects his 9V Duracell battery to it? That scene (along with many others) made it hard for me to finish watching the whole move. When the credits were rolling and I saw who directed it, I said “Oh, a woman directed it”. Just my 2 cents.

Here's your money back...:twocents: I have mixed feelings about your post, mostly negative.

ahhudgins
03-10-2010, 11:46 AM
Here's your money back...:twocents: I have mixed feelings about your post, mostly negative.

I guess the movie wasn’t what I was expecting. It was too “Hollywood” for me. The military operates as a team and when one guy goes Rambo and does what he wants putting his fellow solders at risk (taking off his bomb suit and not answering his radio), it begins to stray from reality. “If I’m going to die, I want to be comfortable”? I would expect something like that from Jessie Ventura in Predator “I ain’t got time to bleed”. If the main reason for making the movie was to win an award, then it succeeded. I was under the impression that it was going to be more factual. I'm pro military, I'm just not impressed with Hollywood and all of their awards.

Skipper
03-11-2010, 09:50 AM
Hollywood blows! Just a bunch of over paid, drug addicted, self-centered trained monkeys. Let them make their silly movies. Just hate it when they try to use their fame to push their stupid agendas on the rest of the world. Oh, look at me, I am a star....don't eat tuna ...stop the war in Iraq/Afghanistan.....vote for Obama.

edit: Chuck Norris, John Wayne, and Clint Eastwood are good to go. The rest of those guys blow.

CantRepeat
03-11-2010, 12:06 PM
Hollywood blows! Just a bunch of over paid, drug addicted, self-centered trained monkeys. Let them make their silly movies. Just hate it when they try to use their fame to push their stupid agendas on the rest of the world. Oh, look at me, I am a star....don't eat tuna ...stop the war in Iraq/Afghanistan.....vote for Obama.

edit: Chuck Norris, John Wayne, and Clint Eastwood are good to go. The rest of those guys blow.

Don't forget Mr Ventura!

bigmac
03-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Don't forget Mr Ventura!

Hmmm...Jesse Ventura and Clint Eastwood....:eek:

Jesse turned me off with his claim to be a Navy SEAL. He served honorably in UDT. No need to hyperinflate.

bbymgr
03-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Hmmm...Jesse Ventura and Clint Eastwood....:eek:

Jesse turned me off with his claim to be a Navy SEAL. He served honorably in UDT. No need to hyperinflate.

The Seals were derived from UDT's. This transition was happening during the Vietnam War, while Ventura was active. During the War, UDT and Seals were basically one and the same. The Seals were formally merged with UDT in the early 80's.

bigmac
03-11-2010, 07:52 PM
The Seals were derived from UDT's. This transition was happening during the Vietnam War, while Ventura was active. During the War, UDT and Seals were basically one and the same. The Seals were formally merged with UDT in the early 80's.

Jesse spent his entire tour with UDT12 and mustered out with a 5321 UDT NEC. Never served with a SEAL team. Jesse left active duty in 1974. UDT and SEALs weren't combined until 1983. Prior to that, UDTs could get a 5326 SEAL NEC if they ended up being assigned to a SEAL team for 6 months, but Jesse wasn't. His DD214 lists him as a 5321.

Don't get me wrong...UDT is a big deal in itself, and anyone who can make it through BUD/S has my respect for that fact alone. But Jesse wasn't a SEAL.

bigmac
03-11-2010, 08:55 PM
During the War, UDT and Seals were basically one and the same.

LOL. If you're ever hitting the bars around Coronado or Little Creek, you want to be real careful about how loud you'd make a statement like that. Especially around that table of 60 year-old guys over there.

Skipper
03-11-2010, 09:55 PM
Jessie Ventura is a perfect example of a famous Hollywood trained monkey using his fame to push his own personal agenda. And Chuck Norris could kick his butt any day.

bbymgr
03-11-2010, 11:18 PM
LOL. If you're ever hitting the bars around Coronado or Little Creek, you want to be real careful about how loud you'd make a statement like that. Especially around that table of 60 year-old guys over there.

Is that what your "extensive" Military career leads you to believe? That information was from my Uncle, who was a Seal during Vietnam. The words I typed were exactly what he said to me, not some bio off of Wiki. I haven't read Ventura's DD-214, and I doubt if you have either, so I don't know for sure what he did during the War. As for making statements, I did my time and earned the right to make any statement, anywhere.

bigmac
03-12-2010, 12:36 AM
Is that what your "extensive" Military career leads you to believe? That information was from my Uncle, who was a Seal during Vietnam. The words I typed were exactly what he said to me, not some bio off of Wiki. I haven't read Ventura's DD-214, and I doubt if you have either, so I don't know for sure what he did during the War. As for making statements, I did my time and earned the right to make any statement, anywhere.

Wow! Your uncle, huh?

I take it back. Go ahead and shoot your mouth off.

bbymgr
03-12-2010, 05:08 AM
Wow! Your uncle, huh?

I take it back. Go ahead and shoot your mouth off.

Pot.....................Kettle.................. sound familiar?

alletric
03-12-2010, 08:12 AM
Speaking of Jesse, anybody caught him on Howard or Opie and Anthony? Man he is spewing some crazy black helicopter stuff these days.

shepherd
03-12-2010, 04:25 PM
As for making statements, I did my time and earned the right to make any statement, anywhere.

I never served. Ignorance is bliss, I guess. I enjoyed the movie but didn't think it deserved an award. Oooops, did I have the right to say that?

ahhudgins
03-14-2010, 11:06 AM
Speaking of Jesse, anybody caught him on Howard or Opie and Anthony? Man he is spewing some crazy black helicopter stuff these days.

He has totally lost it. I now go to "The View" to get all of my facts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CR5139AXnE&feature=popular

TonyB
03-16-2010, 10:53 AM
Watched "Hurt Locker" last night. Enjoyed it.

Sorry if that offends.

CantRepeat
03-16-2010, 04:07 PM
Watched "Hurt Locker" last night. Enjoyed it.

Sorry if that offends.

Not at all, glad you got to enjoy it.

BriEOD
03-16-2010, 09:03 PM
“If I’m going to die, I want to be comfortable”?

Actually, of all the exaggeration in that movie this comment was actually pretty accurate, maybe a little "cowboyish", but accurate nevertheless. Due to the NEW (net explosive weight) of the combined projectiles in the trunk of the vehicle the MED-ENG Bomb Suit would have done very little to protect the wearer. In other words, the combined blast of multiple projectiles exceed the protection capacity of the suit. Also, when wearing the suit it greatly taxes your dexterity and tires you out quickly. All that said, it was perfectly acceptable to remove the suit and work on the device unprotected in this specific case. That suit is intended to protect you from smaller IEDs (pipe bombs, 1-2 lbs of explosives). In this scene the NEW associated with wearing the suit for protection was far exceeded. However, keep in mind working on devices by hand is always the last resort. It is a little easier to replace a robot or other standoff device than it is an American Airman/Sailor/Marine/Soldier/Contractor. My 2 pennies.

Some cool photos: http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2010/03/05/photo_essay_the_real_hurt_locker?page=0,0

BriEOD
03-16-2010, 09:11 PM
Also, if you find 6 IEDs connected in parallel to a single feed wire, do you spend 10 minutes cutting each fuse or do you just cut the one feed wire first before the enemy connects his 9V Duracell battery to it? That scene (along with many others) made it hard for me to finish watching the whole move. When the credits were rolling and I saw who directed it, I said “Oh, a woman directed it”. Just my 2 cents.

Ugh...yeah you do have to take on each one at a time. If you don't how can you be sure there aren't secondary devices, secondary power supplies, collapsing circuits, etc, etc. You always, always, always, trace everything out and take your time. Getting in a hurry can cost your life. No offense but until you earn your Crab you might want to temper your comments because it is pretty clear you don't know what your talking about in regards to EOD work. Again, just my 2 pennies.

bcampbe7
03-16-2010, 09:24 PM
I want to see this movie. Hopefully this weekend.

Here ya go Brian. I know you love this picture. :)

03 35th Anniversary
03-16-2010, 09:38 PM
BriEOD

Can you show me how to make a bomb? Then how to neutralize it?

I never thought about telling chics in a bar that I am a bomb tech!!!

ahhudgins
03-16-2010, 11:58 PM
Ugh...yeah you do have to take on each one at a time. If you don't how can you be sure there aren't secondary devices, secondary power supplies, collapsing circuits, etc, etc. You always, always, always, trace everything out and take your time. Getting in a hurry can cost your life. No offense but until you earn your Crab you might want to temper your comments because it is pretty clear you don't know what your talking about in regards to EOD work. Again, just my 2 pennies.

No, I haven't done EOD work, I have been an electronics technician for 25 years. In the movie, the guy who is working on the multiple explosives looks at a trigger wire that leaves his location and runs into a building. What would be the use of starting to defuse each individual bomb one at a time when you KNOW there is a trigger wire leaving the area. Spend the time defusing 5 bombs and then someone fires the 6th one. I work on 460V AC circuits every day and I lock out the main feed BEFORE I start throwing smaller breakers. It's not an IED, but it will kill you just the same. When the guy decides to start doing things his own way by throwing out smoke screens and not communicating with his team, that's when I lost interest. As mentioned by other posters, there was a lot lacking in the directors research.

ahhudgins
03-17-2010, 12:21 AM
BriEOD,
I did look at the website you posted and there are some good pictures. It's not a job I would care to do, and I'm thankful that there are guys who do this sort of work every day. I just have a problem with the people in Hollywood. Quoting the website "The U.S. military has put billions of dollars into training EOD teams, purchasing bomb-defusing robots and investing in IED-proof vehicles like the American-made 24-ton Buffalo Mine Protected vehicle to counter the IED threat." In the movie, they send the robot out to set some charges and it's pulling a little wagon that looks like it was built by a 5 year old. Naturally the wheel falls off and this requires a man to go drop off the charges (putting a life in harms way). Would the military spend millions of dollars on a robot and then throw a $10 wagon into the mix, or was that just to make things interesting for the movie. I'm not b*tching, just wondering how accurate it was.

CantRepeat
03-17-2010, 08:07 AM
No, I haven't done EOD work, I have been an electronics technician for 25 years. In the movie, the guy who is working on the multiple explosives looks at a trigger wire that leaves his location and runs into a building. What would be the use of starting to defuse each individual bomb one at a time when you KNOW there is a trigger wire leaving the area. Spend the time defusing 5 bombs and then someone fires the 6th one. I work on 460V AC circuits every day and I lock out the main feed BEFORE I start throwing smaller breakers. It's not an IED, but it will kill you just the same. When the guy decides to start doing things his own way by throwing out smoke screens and not communicating with his team, that's when I lost interest. As mentioned by other posters, there was a lot lacking in the directors research.

:rolleyes: You're not giving MAMs enough credit here. Trust me, they are smarter then you think. I highly doubt disarming an IED is like flipping a switch, but I don't know so I wont comment further.

bcampbe7
03-17-2010, 09:00 AM
You guys are aware that this is a movie, right? Just a movie...

Skipper
03-17-2010, 09:42 AM
You guys are aware that this is a movie, right? Just a movie...

Pretty passionate about this one aren't they? I still can't believe that ninjas can't fly like they did in that crouching tiger movie?8p

ahhudgins
03-17-2010, 10:30 AM
:rolleyes: You're not giving MAMs enough credit here. Trust me, they are smarter then you think. I highly doubt disarming an IED is like flipping a switch, but I don't know so I wont comment further.

That’s what kills me. I’m only agreeing with several other guys and pointing out specifics as to why I didn’t like the MOVIE, it’s only a mooooooovie! Then people get their boxers in a wad about the ACTUAL people who do this kind of work. It’s a dangerous job and I wouldn’t sign up to do it!!!!!! I agree, these guys ARE smarter and better than the way it was shown in the movie. Brokeback Mountain was hailed as the “Best film ever” and I don’t know one person who saw the movie. OOPS, I shouldn’t have said that because someone is going to take offense. Anyone?….crickets chirping.

I’m going outside to wax the bottom of my hull so it will go faster.:D

bbymgr
03-17-2010, 11:13 AM
Pretty passionate about this one aren't they? I still can't believe that ninjas can't fly like they did in that crouching tiger movie?8p

Wait a minute........................... you telling me Keanu Reeves CAN'T dodge bullets?????:shocked:

Skipper
03-17-2010, 11:23 AM
Wait a minute........................... you telling me Keanu Reeves CAN'T dodge bullets?????:shocked:

Nope, but I suspect that it is true that if you can dodge a wrench, then you can dodge a ball! :D

Skipper
03-21-2010, 08:45 PM
So I actually watched the "movie" last night. Entertaining, yes. Inaccurate, sure. I can get past all of that.

Seems like another Hollywood anti-war movie that portrays American Soldiers as crazy war criminals:

1. The scared Specialist who had people dying all around him, fears for his own life, and blames himself for his friends deaths

2. The stallworth Staff Sergeant who has been the glue that bonded the team and now questions his purpose in the war and those who he fights with

3. And my personal flavor of crazy, the crazy Sergeant First Class who would rather be at war, with his comrades, than any place else with anybody else.

In the 60's Hollywood made movies of WWII that depicted Soldiers as heroes. In the 70's - 80's Soldiers were made to look like crazy, undisciplined, drug addicted baby killers. Our image was revived a bit in the 90's. But, here we go again.

Just don't spit on me in the airport!