PDA

View Full Version : Intermediate boards?

ccowell
03-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Ok its time for a new board package but not sure what to get.

I started a few years ago with a O'Brien board just to get into it, and now I think that I want a new board. My question is what should I look for in them or what have you guys been riding and have had good luck with. I know that this is a opinion question but I want your opinion to what I should get.

I am getting into it and can clear the wake and ride fakie and do most of the beginner things. I'm looking for a intermediate board now.

I have snowboarded for about 10 years now and ride a 155 darkstar and have been into wake for about 3 now.

Panda Cub
03-08-2010, 11:43 AM
My personal view is that wakeboard are nothing like waterskis, in the aspect that any wakeboard will work fine for both a beginner through advanced wakeboarder.

I recommend riding a hyperlite board, I have been riding the same board for 8-9 years now and it has held up very well.

jbkriss
03-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Might be a little difficult, but you should try to go to a proshop around you. I disagree about 'any wakeboard will work fine for both a beginner through advanced'. There are certain types of rockers that are better left to the advanced riders (three stage abrupt) and some that are easier for the average guy out on the lake (continuous). Rocker also affects how fast the board rides. The pop of some will boot you up higher while other rockers are designed to put you out in the flats. Best thing is to talk to someone in a pro-shop that deals several mfg's. Most will even let you demo a board if you put a deposit down since they know you're in the market for a new board. One other place to check is Wakeboarding Magazine. They have equipment reviews. wakeworld.com is another good resource.

damaged442
03-08-2010, 08:33 PM
When I was looking, well, several years ago, I hit up Brinson Marine. They're located next to OCC. At the time, they were dealing with Liquid Force, but I'm pretty sure they're Hyperlite now. They let me "rent" a board for the weekend. I think it was like $20 a day or something. I liked it, bought it, and they took what I paid for "renting" off the price of the board. You really couldn't beat the deal. I ended up with a Trip 138, which IMO is still a board that can more than hold it's own. I've taught countless people to ride with it, and I've had people throwing inverts with it. I've ridden numerous other boards, and keep coming back to it. You asked for my opinion, and that's it! Well, and you should stay away from PBR!

If you have other questions, send me a PM.

nmcjr
03-09-2010, 12:09 AM
I was recommended a Liquid Force Witness (Ben Greenwood) by Kyle Schmidt and have been very happy with it. It is a hybrid rocker--a compromise between 3-stage and continuous and is very stable and predictable. Great pop and I really like the balance between locked in and loose, even without fins. Also, it has a variable edge, (less sharp in the middle) which can prevent a few of the faceplants on bad landings and lands nice and soft. Another really popular LF board is the Watson, which I also like. I am 6'2" 195 lbs and ride the 144 FWIW.

Size is also very important, and I think a lot of people tend to buy on the small side, so be sure to buy one that is big enough-it gives you more surface to pop with and lands softer.

The best would be to demo some, but that is pretty hard in this economy due to board shops not having as much in stock. Whatever you buy, I would suggest getting an '09 or later since most companies are now shipping 6" plate spacing but from 06-08 this spacing was quite variable and is a pain and new boots are shipping with 6" spacing.

76S&S
03-09-2010, 02:04 PM
^^ I am riding this board as well and have been very happy with it. I rode for one year with the center fin and last year without (which I like better).

possumlover82
03-09-2010, 02:22 PM
Ronix one all the way.... IMO

ccowell
03-10-2010, 09:18 AM
I know that going to a shop would be the best thing to do and take a "test drive" but I don't know of any shops in upstate NY that sell boards. Everyone that I have known always orders there stuff online.

Thrall
03-10-2010, 10:51 AM
I'm an intermediate rider at best. Got a LF Omega several years ago. Good board, sturdy, has a hybrid? (continuous/3 stage rocker) rocker I think. Everyone from beginners to guys better than me said it rides real easy. I can get plenty of pop out of it. I'd reccomend LF for an int board.
That said, I've ridden some real abrupt 3 stage Hyperlites and ROnix boards that buddies have and found them to ride equally as well. Only one I don't like is the Hyperlite, Parks? maybe with the big outside fins. Those will catch you in a surface slide or going switch and let you meet the water with your face REAL fast!
I think as long as you are a solid rider, you could go 3 stage without issue.
Just order one online unless you want to pay a fortune thru a local shop. IMO, it's not the board, it's the rider. Any new board is going to feel different than what you're currently riding for the first few sets, thn you'll adapt.

MC76restore
03-10-2010, 11:18 AM
my best friend goes through about a board a year due to hard abuse, (he works at pine lake ski school here in MI, and he used to and sometimes still does compete) he also rides just about every board they have in their pro shop. his personal boards are always hyperlites but he also likes ronix boards.

i love my 07 hyperlite murray board. its a great shape for me(an intermediate rider) but is also good enough for the pros. mine is a hybrid 3 stage rocker. between a 3 stage and a continuous. i had an old warn out hyperlite board before that one and it took a lot of abuse and i still sold it for more than i bought it for.

some riders, i have seen, really benefit from certain boards, and most of my friends wont buy till they have ridden a few new boards. idk, if there is a shop near you that would let you test ride some boards, but it might help.

PS. i always buy my boards, bindings, vests, ropes ect. at the Detroit boat show. i usually buy last years model for half off. idk, if there is a show near you where this would happen but there are deals to be had during the winter months. lots of pro shops / dealers have sales at their open houses/ boat shows. especially on previous year inventories.

scott023
03-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Ronix one all the way.... IMO

I agree 100%

X25 ED
03-10-2010, 04:04 PM
i have a LF trip 138 and are looking for a new board. Am thinking about LF again but have no idea wich one!

Someone with advice for the 2010 boards??

THNX

YTW
03-10-2010, 10:10 PM
I saw a huge improvement with one of my regular riders who went from the LF Trip to the LF Watson.

Hrkdrivr
03-10-2010, 11:05 PM
Whatever you buy, I would suggest getting an '09 or later since most companies are now shipping 6" plate spacing but from 06-08 this spacing was quite variable and is a pain and new boots are shipping with 6" spacing.

^^^^
I can't believe I'm going to ask this, but what is "plate spacing?" The distance between the boot mounts? Is 6" more or less spacing than before? :confused:

nmcjr
03-10-2010, 11:28 PM
^^^^
I can't believe I'm going to ask this, but what is "plate spacing?" The distance between the boot mounts? Is 6" more or less spacing than before? :confused:

No, good question, it's been pretty confusing. Yes, I am referring to the distance between the bolts on each binding. They were 8" then 7" and are now most if not all 6". 6" seems to help with flex and bindings are now lighter because they don't have the large base plates. Different combinations are interchangable but can reduce your stance options. So, my suggestion is to buy all new gear with 6" spacing, which tends to be '09 and later. This way, when you later buy something new it will fit correctly and eventually everything will be matched at 6".

Jerseydave
03-11-2010, 04:54 AM
I ride a LF Watson, great board and very forgiving. Surface spins are easy, no edge catch. I'm an intermediate rider, but my 20 year old friend is very advanced and rides a Watson too.

Last year Keith Lyman let me take a set on his Lyman board, even better than the Watson IMHO. Softer landings, faster, holds an edge better than the Watson. So my son bought one and I ride his 1/2 the time.

ccowell, come down to NJ in June and you can try them both if you want. :D

erkoehler
03-11-2010, 09:31 AM
WWW.liquidsportsonline.com

Checkout the Ronix vault for a good intermediate board.

X25 ED
03-11-2010, 03:42 PM
someone who has experiance with the watson hybrid, looks good. I also like the ps3.

suggestions welcome.

thnx

MJWine
03-16-2010, 07:01 PM
What about a board that is for beginners with different feet size and wait, i.e. 120 pound lady that's 5'2" and a size 6 shoe and a 180 pound man with a size 10 shoe. I really don't want to buy several boards, but would like to have one board for guest I bring to the lake?

damaged442
03-16-2010, 10:42 PM
I know that going to a shop would be the best thing to do and take a "test drive" but I don't know of any shops in upstate NY that sell boards. Everyone that I have known always orders there stuff online.

Ahem...Brinson Marine. They're located next to OCC. (Onondaga Community College) Right in Syracuse! That's about as close as you'll find! From the website, they deal with Liquid Force, CWB and Hyperlite.

Address: 4553 W. Seneca Tpk
Syracuse, N.Y. 13215

Phone: (315) 469-4867
FAX: (315) 469-4884

YTW
03-16-2010, 11:29 PM
What about a board that is for beginners with different feet size and wait, i.e. 120 pound lady that's 5'2" and a size 6 shoe and a 180 pound man with a size 10 shoe. I really don't want to buy several boards, but would like to have one board for guest I bring to the lake?
Try to find a LF Trip 136 with Transit or Element 8-10 bindings. May be just a little big for her now, but if she begins to really enjoy the sports she will want her own 134 pink board later.

vision
03-17-2010, 01:21 AM

You really will not find a board and bindings that will work well for both of you given the size/weight range. If you want to enjoy even a beginner ride, I would get two different sets of bindings and 2 boards.

ccowell
03-17-2010, 10:13 AM
Well it looks like ill just HAVE to come to NJ in June now doesn't it. Ill be there as long as it isn't fathers day. Pops isn't into skiing and boating that much.

Thanks damaged I didn't know about that board shop in cuse. ill be sure to check it out. Are they up and running now or is it still to early in the season?

brinsonmarine
03-17-2010, 05:42 PM
Thanks damaged I didn't know about that board shop in cuse. ill be sure to check it out. Are they up and running now or is it still to early in the season?

We are open year round if you want to come in and check things out. We have some closeouts in CWB and Liquid Force available with more boards coming in the next few weeks. If you have any questions feel free to give me a call at 315-469-4867. We do still demo boards although that might be a few weeks away :)

Pete
Brinson Marine

Wake2004
04-16-2010, 12:45 AM
I also would suggest the LF Witness, none of the people (including myself) are experts but this is the best board I have ever been on.

cwb4me
04-17-2010, 07:23 PM
Yea, Im partial to the Absolute from CWB. Great board for intermiediate to expert. Forgiving, has the center spine to give you a lil more cushion on the flat landings. Great board. But the Ronix One is the close second.