PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Question

deployedjosh
03-06-2010, 09:37 PM
I'm in the process of reworking my exhaust on my 99 X-Star/205V with LTR motor. I'm replacing the Indmar 3.5" risers with 3" ones (cost and muffler considerations) running wire reinforced corrugated 3" wet exhaust hose to a pair of 3" inline stainless mufflers (hoo-ray! no more Silentmaster in the way of impeller replacements) and then from there, out the new 3" thru hulls, into the FAE (Fresh Air Exhaust) I installed a couple years ago.

So here's my questions: Can I use mandrel bent 3" stainless steel elbows to make the routing easier? It seems like these components are a lot more available than the fiberglass ones.

Of course, I'll be double clamping all connections, and I'm also wondering if I should go with T-Bolt clamps instead of the worm drive hose clamps? Is that overkill? Are the T-Bolts much better?

I'll be sure to put some pics up once it's all completed. I figure it will take about a month or so to get all the parts ordered, etc.

etduc
03-07-2010, 03:46 PM
Worm can strip, when over tighten. We use to stafety wire, these back in my motorcycle racing days. T-bolts less likely to strip, plus the nuts can be had with nylock or thread lock compound.