PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Tips - Help

Double D
03-01-2010, 10:22 AM
I am not sure if anyone has asked but I am trying to see if there are any MC or similar exhaust tips available out on the market that will fit my 1994 PS205?

I attached a picture of a 197 so there is no confusion on what I am looking for.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Thrall
03-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Try Rex Marine, online. Lots of options, no MC logo though.

TMCNo1
03-01-2010, 11:10 AM
Try Rex Marine, online. Lots of options, no MC logo though.

Here's the link to Rex Marine and their tips, http://www.rexmar.com/page230.html

87MCProstar
03-01-2010, 12:16 PM
any benefit other than cosmetic?

ttu
03-01-2010, 12:30 PM

as long as they don't fall apart they are pretty!:rolleyes:

bbymgr
03-01-2010, 12:38 PM

I lost both of mine as well. Fortunately, warranty covered the replacements.

Jesus_Freak
03-01-2010, 02:02 PM
I am not sure if anyone has asked but I am trying to see if there are any MC or similar exhaust tips available out on the market that will fit my 1994 PS205?

I attached a picture of a 197 so there is no confusion on what I am looking for.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I am tentatively planning to do the same thing for cosmetic reasons only. Do you have the stock rubber dealios now? Let me know how it goes.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-01-2010, 02:26 PM
I am tentatively planning to do the same thing for cosmetic reasons only. Do you have the stock rubber dealios now? Let me know how it goes.

There you go talking way above my level in language I don't understand. :D :D :D

Double D
03-01-2010, 03:44 PM

For me its just cosmetic. Their just bad a$$ looking!!

That sucks. Since yours were MC stock units, has anyone bought off Rex Marine and had the same thing happen?

JF, I will let you know. I reviewed the Rex Marine web site and was a bit lost on understanding my final cost for the SST142 which sticks out 7" at an angle. So I sent them an email and am awaiting a response.

Skipper
03-01-2010, 09:30 PM

There you go talking way above my level in language I don't understand. :D :D :D

Dealios. Confusing engineer speak for the little rubber flappy things at the end of the exhaust. :)

DemolitionMan
03-01-2010, 09:43 PM
They look like they will cut your feet.

Kyle
03-01-2010, 09:50 PM
Please send me pics when you get them installed.

Double D
03-01-2010, 11:46 PM

JF, I do currently have the rubber dealios now. I also want to put dual exhaust and stainless tips on my Avalanche but have not pulled that trigger yet. I am updating the boat with new speakers and stereo this year so why not these awesome looking exhaust tips...

Yellow78mc, Well yeah, if you stick your feet way up under the platform. But if you know their there, and you warn people they are there, no worries.

Please send me pics when you get them installed.

Kyle, Will do when I pull the trigger. Right now they are on backorder and here is the information I got from Rex Marine. Good response so far.

"Thanks for your interest in Rex Marine Products. Your price on 2 SST142F tips would be $229.94. Shipping would be about $12.00. I don't have tips in stock at the moment, but we could put a set on back order for you if you would like."
"That price is tips with flappers. We have a 5 year warranty on the flappers. It is almost impossible for them to come out."

Kyle
03-02-2010, 05:46 AM
The exhaust hose we have is 3" OD. What is the inside size 2 1/2" or 2 7/8"?

Hardin Marine has some that look the same. They have the same advertising for the product. I measured my pipe when I took the mufflers out while doing some projects. Just did not measure inside. I am thinking its closer to 2 1/2".

The part number you showed me may not fit our exhaust hose. I am interested in more information.

Kyle
03-02-2010, 05:56 AM
My mufflers are also out of my boat right now. If need be I can go measure them and know exactly what size the inlet to the muffler is. Only thing is that they are 30 min away form me right now. I will be at the barn probably later this week. I can measure them for you if you like.

Double D
03-02-2010, 09:25 AM

Hardin Marine has some that look the same. They have the same advertising for the product. I measured my pipe when I took the mufflers out while doing some projects. Just did not measure inside. I am thinking its closer to 2 1/2".

The part number you showed me may not fit our exhaust hose. I am interested in more information.

My mufflers are also out of my boat right now. If need be I can go measure them and know exactly what size the inlet to the muffler is. Only thing is that they are 30 min away form me right now. I will be at the barn probably later this week. I can measure them for you if you like.

Kyle, how is the pricing of the Hardin units?
Also, I will need to check on the actual diameter of the inlet vs the outlet. I know when I replaced my rubber flappers they were considered 4" and I checked again last night and they are 4". However, I need to lift up the floor or pull the existing and check the muffler connection point to verify that diameter. I will see what I can do to measure those before the weekend so you don't have too. But if I can't accomplish that before the weekend I don't have any time over the weekend.

etduc
03-02-2010, 11:00 AM

I have a 94 prostar 205. The hose is 3" i.d. (inside dimension). The muffler inlet/outlet, starts at about 2 7/8" o.d., then increases in dimension. (for proper sealing)

To comfirm, I measured my old mufflers and a piece of exhaust hose.

good luck.

Double D
03-02-2010, 11:26 AM
I have a 94 prostar 205. The hose is 3" i.d. (inside dimension). The muffler inlet/outlet, starts at about 2 7/8" o.d., then increases in dimension. (for proper sealing)

To comfirm, I measured my old mufflers and a piece of exhaust hose.

good luck.

Man, I am scratching my head now. So the tip I need is a 3" diameter unit? Any idea how this unit attaches to the boat and the size of the pipe outside? Because I know the diameter on the outside of the boat is more like 4". I guess I will need to pull off the flapper and put a tape measure by it and snap a picture. I do not doubt what you guys say is true but I am seeing it from the outside and am confused...

etduc
03-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Man, I am scratching my head now. So the tip I need is a 3" diameter unit? Any idea how this unit attaches to the boat and the size of the pipe outside? Because I know the diameter on the outside of the boat is more like 4". I guess I will need to pull off the flapper and put a tape measure by it and snap a picture. I do not doubt what you guys say is true but I am seeing it from the outside and am confused...

You're lucky, I keep my boat handy. 3" ( http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=JMS32-05018) Yes, our exhaust tips, actually reduce to a smaller internal (i.d.), maybe to 2 7/8". New boats, do the opposite.

I'm assuming, the hole through the hull is slightly larger than 3" If someone, is going to internal flappers (flappers take up space), would have to go to 3.5 or 4", that reduces to 3" pipe.

Note: Be mindful of the external exhaust tip flange. Some are pretty big, and may have to be cut down. Use VERY good sealant. You will have to seal all screw holes, then redrill for new tips.

Double D
03-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Well I was wrong. The rubber exhaust dealios are 3" according to the pictures I just took during my lunch hour (see below - The measurement was taken from an angle so it may look smaller than 3", but the rubber dealio is 3"). So it seems to me that a 3" unit would work all the way through, since ETDUC says the exhaust pipe has a 3" I.D. Of course these tips come with fewer screw holes so like ETDUC says, the existing holes will need to be sealed prior to putting the new one on.
Maybe this is more trouble than its worth. :)

Price: Now that we know we are using a 3" dia unit, I don't see one on the Rex site, only reducers, so I will have to email them. Hardin has the 3" units with rubber flappers. Hardin did tell me:

"I can tell you that manufactures recommendations are that if the exhaust tip is within 12" of the waterline which I believe yours is that you should run two flaps a internal and external. That being said the angle tip will not accommodate an external flap. Don't get me wrong you can buy any tip you chose I just want you to know some facts

All of our tips are build with a serviceable rubber flaps that should be replaced during annual services. For years we built tips with stainless butterfly style flaps but the "Clanking and banging" sounds caused by stainless flaps lead to extreme customer complaints and caused us to cancel that design. As for flaps falling out we do not experience that, we invested hundreds of hours in not only the compound but the flap cage design when this product was designed. The sure fire way to kill any rubber flap is extensive heat without water. If you plan to run the boat dry for extensive periods of time that's the only sure fire way to kill the flap.

The external flaps are just added protection against water surges when the engines off"

Double D
03-02-2010, 05:31 PM
On additional note: I just received a response from Rex Marine and they DO NOT have the exhaust tips in 3". They do have reducers but there would be cutting involved to get it through the transom. No Thanks!!

So unless someone knows of another option, Hardin will be the place to purchase if I pull the trigger on these.

On that note: anyone have any problems will back flow if the exterior flapper is removed?

americanskierJim
03-02-2010, 06:02 PM
Hello Double D, I am going to see if my friend at his machine shop can cut some of these tip's out of some 6" round stock. I am in need of some plastic one's also. If you have some time to wait a week or so I can find out what it will cost to have them made. I will keep you up to date if you like.

JohnE
03-02-2010, 06:08 PM

No problem when I had them on my '08. Or was it my '05? Either way, no problem.

Double D
03-02-2010, 06:09 PM
Hello Double D, I am going to see if my friend at his machine shop can cut some of these tip's out of some 6" round stock. I am in need of some plastic one's also. If you have some time to wait a week or so I can find out what it will cost to have them made. I will keep you up to date if you like.

I can wait. Let us know. The internal flapper could be interesting...

Where would you use plastic ones?

americanskierJim
03-02-2010, 06:18 PM
My tip's are made of plastic (not stainless)with a flapper. The boat I have it a "80" MC. I dont think the could put an internal flapper on them. If they can be made I will use the external flapper only. If this is the type of tip you are looking for?
Here is a pic of one of mine.

Double D
03-02-2010, 06:25 PM
My tip's are made of plastic (not stainless)with a flapper. The boat I have it a "80" MC. I dont think the could put an internal flapper on them. If they can be made I will use the external flapper only. If this is the type of tip you are looking for?
Here is a pic of one of mine.

Here is what I am looking to get for my boat. Love the look! I bit more than maybe what you where thinking....

americanskierJim
03-02-2010, 06:45 PM
oh ya little bit more than I was going to have made for mine. Those tips look great. I was looking at Hardin awhile back at the tips they have nice pices of work they sell.

Jesus_Freak
03-03-2010, 02:47 AM
Dealios. Confusing engineer speak for the little rubber flappy things at the end of the exhaust. :)

Dude, you are indeed funny. I dont know why I seem to like that word...

On additional note: I just received a response from Rex Marine and they DO NOT have the exhaust tips in 3". They do have reducers but there would be cutting involved to get it through the transom. No Thanks!!

So unless someone knows of another option, Hardin will be the place to purchase if I pull the trigger on these.

On that note: anyone have any problems will back flow if the exterior flapper is removed?

DD, thank you for posting as you are going along. You have saved me needless work. Does the Hardin bolt pattern match up? I dont think I'm going to bother going through with it if I have to drill a new round of holes in the hull.

Double D
03-03-2010, 09:40 AM
DD, thank you for posting as you are going along. You have saved me needless work. Does the Hardin bolt pattern match up? I dont think I'm going to bother going through with it if I have to drill a new round of holes in the hull.

JF, good question and I don't have the answer yet. I was told that the three holes are at 120 degrees to each other. So a little work with a protractor should tell us something.
I can tell you that I was concerned that I would be going from a 8 screw (bolt) pattern to a 3 screw pattern. But then I saw the picture of the back of an X-something and remembered my original photo on this post (below), and they both have only three (3) attachment points.

First person with a protractor and time to check, let us all know. I used to have one in my board drafting days..... I wonder where its at..... :)

Double D
03-03-2010, 10:55 AM
Well, I can actually do one better for checking the hole pattern. Attached is a PDF file of a CAD drawing I did of the tip with the holes located. Print this 8 1/2" x 11" copy off to scale (no shrink to fit) and line them up.

First one who can try it let us know.

Double D
03-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Well, another issue with the changing of the exhaust tips. I took my sketch and checked the hole placements and nothing lined up. Not even from the center of the pipe out to the three holes.
Reason is because your replacing a rubber dealio that is a 3" dia pipe with a 6" dia flange and putting in a 3" dia pipe with a 5" dia flange. It can be done but it will not be as easy as I thought. All 8 holes need to be filled and avoided with the 3 new holes. And I dont even know how these are attached. Anyone know if these are bolt through with a nut on the other end??

New pictures:

Kyle
03-04-2010, 04:57 AM
I have my exhaust out right now with the floor. I am doing a cam replacement going on with another post. I will go look bc I will be putting some things back together tomorrow at the boat storage. I will let you know the 100% answer.

deployedjosh
03-06-2010, 10:40 PM
If your boat is anything like mine, those are simply pointy screws, not bolts. I'm working through some of the same issues with my exhaust system at the moment. Thanks for the great thread so far.

Double D
03-09-2010, 09:25 AM
I have my exhaust out right now with the floor. I am doing a cam replacement going on with another post. I will go look bc I will be putting some things back together tomorrow at the boat storage. I will let you know the 100% answer.

Kyle, any luck with confirming the screw type and what Josh said??

etduc
03-09-2010, 10:15 AM
Kyle, any luck with confirming the screw type and what Josh said??

They are stainless screws. (Some would call them, wood screws. http://www.stainless-fasteners.com/Sharx.htm

Double D
03-12-2010, 09:23 AM
Well went to the Marina last night to pick up my new Fuel Sensor and Thermostat and talked to them about the exhaust tips. They said they could do the work in about an hour if I pull the tank, which I HAD pulled last night when I was talking to them (not anymore). A bit longer if they need to move the tank, which to me took 10 minutes. Anyway, they said as long as the new flange covers the existing holes we can just fill those with a specific sealer (that doesn't get hard) and drill some new smaller holes for the new screws and then chamfer the hole with a bigger bit to prevent gel coat cracking when you tighten the screws.

Still undecided....... :(

Jesus_Freak
03-12-2010, 01:37 PM
So, as it stands now, there are no stainless tips on the market that fit the 94 PS 205 existing flange hole pattern??

Double D
03-12-2010, 02:33 PM
So, as it stands now, there are no stainless tips on the market that fit the 94 PS 205 existing flange hole pattern??

Not that I am aware of, but I only looked at the two places suggested by people on here. Remember, the ones that come on MC's are only a 3 hole flange so I doubt they have anything either.

learjet2230
03-24-2010, 03:58 PM
Guys....Check with Teague Custom Mariine out in California. I just got a set of custom tips that he made and the customer bailed out. He can make anything you want. Mine are 3.5" with a 6" flange with three holes. He could of made me 3" with either a blank or 8 hole flange but I opted to take the ones he had since I can make them work. I'll get some pics posted once they arrive.

Double D
03-24-2010, 04:04 PM
Guys....Check with Teague Custom Mariine out in California. I just got a set of custom tips that he made and the customer bailed out. He can make anything you want. Mine are 3.5" with a 6" flange with three holes. He could of made me 3" with either a blank or 8 hole flange but I opted to take the ones he had since I can make them work. I'll get some pics posted once they arrive.

That's awesome!! Anyone particular you talked to? Phone # or e-mail?? Did it come with the internal flapper??
I understand your situation but I would choose the 3" pipe with the 6" flange and 8 holes. No extra filling and drilling... :rolleyes:

learjet2230
03-24-2010, 04:08 PM
I think I spoke with Eric in parts....you can get it with or without flapper.
http://teaguecustommarine.com//store/

TEAGUE CUSTOM MARINE
28115 AVENUE STANFORD,
VALENCIA, CA 91355 U.S.A.
661•295•7000
661•295•7007 FAX

Just give em a call and pick there brain...only thing I can reccomend is if you get an angled tip and have him do the 8 hole, make sure you give him the correct "clocking" of the screw holes,....ie screw hole at 12 oclock or 1, etc....

Double D
03-24-2010, 04:11 PM
only thing I can reccomend is if you get an angled tip and have him do the 8 hole, make sure you give him the correct "clocking" of the screw holes,....ie screw hole at 12 oclock or 1, etc....

Thanks for mentioning that one. It would be a hell of a thing to have the angle crooked!!:confused: "ah yeah... I did that on purpose...yeah"!

learjet2230
03-24-2010, 06:18 PM
Let me know if you have any luck!!

Double D
03-25-2010, 01:04 PM
Well I am in contact with Teauge Marine and they did modify the exhaust for someone else that Mr. Lear was able to pick up. They did say that is was still a 4" dia. pipe but they put a reducer on it to get it too 3.5". They do not offer a 3" pipe.

With talking to them they did offer to provide me with a quote on a custom exhaust tip, if I send them a drawing, that would have the following:
3" dia pipe
angled tip
6" dia flange
8 mounting holes (to match existing)

So as recommended, I checked the hole locations on the existing so that I can draw up the tip and the holes will be in the correct spot. Well, guess what? Since the existing exhaust ports are simple round plastic ones they just slapped them up there and screwed them in. The hole locations do not match from the one exhaust port to the other. :mad: So if I really wanted to get the holes to line up they would have to make two special tips so they match my hole locations, and these would obviously be different for each boat in this world.

Therefore, I did create my drawing but reduced down to the three (3) holes as standard with most exhaust tips.

Now I asked myself: what the hell am I doing making a drawing of something that already exists in the market from Hardin?? :confused: Well, the only difference is to have the 3" pipe with the 6" flange, because if you remember, the ones Hardin get only have a 5" flange.

So, is having a 6" flange to match the existing size but not the hole pattern, worth all this trouble?? Probably not!! :rolleyes: But we'll see what Teauge comes back with.

Jesus_Freak
03-25-2010, 01:59 PM
Well I am in contact with Teauge Marine and they did modify the exhaust for someone else that Mr. Lear was able to pick up. They did say that is was still a 4" dia. pipe but they put a reducer on it to get it too 3.5". They do not offer a 3" pipe....

If I understand you correctly, this will fit your 94 205 without any hull modification? If so, let Teauge know (before they quote you) they may get multiple customers. Personally, I was not worried as much about finding someone to build them for me as much as I was the cost.:) Let us know, and thanks again for the legwork on this...

etduc
03-25-2010, 02:16 PM
I didn't see, where you're going to locate the flapper. :confused:

Double D
03-25-2010, 02:38 PM
If I understand you correctly, this will fit your 94 205 without any hull modification? If so, let Teauge know (before they quote you) they may get multiple customers. Personally, I was not worried as much about finding someone to build them for me as much as I was the cost.:) Let us know, and thanks again for the legwork on this...

JF, Thats a question for Learjet. His 88 PS 190 may be different then my 94 PS205. I know if my boat had the ability to support a 4" pipe I would probably go with that.

I didn't see, where you're going to locate the flapper. :confused:

Thats up to the manufacturer.

learjet2230
03-25-2010, 04:04 PM
You had me scared there for a sec..I thought he told me I had 3.5" pipe all the way, but 4" reduced to 3.5" is all the better. I just measured my boat and I have 1.5" to play with to the bottom of the hull...I only need 1/2" increase in all directions. I am not going to use a flapper but Teague can build it with an internal flapper to answer someone elses question. I will post some pics of the before and after once I get them.

Kyle
03-25-2010, 04:43 PM
Double D

Is it possible to send them one of your plastic flappers and bracket that is screwed to the boat. If MC just eye balled installing them the actual flapper assembely should all be the same. The only thing to consider is if MC installed them a little off of center the new tips will be a hair off from being centered perfectly. I really dont see anyone staring at the tips so long to even notice. That way we all could have the same pattern and we will not have to fill holes. It would bolt right up.

Just an idea.

learjet2230
03-25-2010, 04:47 PM
Work in progress!!

Double D
03-25-2010, 04:53 PM
Double D

Is it possible to send them one of your plastic flappers and bracket that is screwed to the boat. If MC just eye balled installing them the actual flapper assembely should all be the same. The only thing to consider is if MC installed them a little off of center the new tips will be a hair off from being centered perfectly. I really dont see anyone staring at the tips so long to even notice. That way we all could have the same pattern and we will not have to fill holes. It would bolt right up.

Just an idea.

I would say that the right exhaust is rotated a good 5 to 10 degrees off from the left side. If I (we) were interested in the flat stainless tip it wouldn't matter, but I want the angle tip. And I am somewhat anal so I want the very end of that angled tip to be top-dead-center. Even though some people may not notice having them slightly angled but I would. :(

I wonder...... if it would make any sense to order ones without any holes and then you drill them yourself. Then its your own a$$ is they are not top-dead-center. :confused:

Kyle
03-25-2010, 04:56 PM
Hey Learjet

Are your factory exhaust tips that you have taken off in this pic the same for the 90's MC.

If they are would you be opposed to sending Teague one of them for a template where we could get the 8 hole pattern on the tips with or without flappers. I am sure that they would send it back to you.

If we have a few guys wanting to buy them and Teague was able to sell 5 or so pairs they may be willing to use the factory piece as a guide.

learjet2230
03-25-2010, 04:56 PM
here is a thought...order the flat tips and cut the angle yourself once installed!! That is just another option

Double D
03-25-2010, 04:57 PM
Work in progress!!

Well would you look at that...... Looks like the MC employee who mounted your original tips took the time to make them pretty close to being the same. If mine were that close I would be able to order them identical.

Great picture!! Thanks!! Keep us updated on your progress.

Kyle
03-25-2010, 05:00 PM
I would say that the right exhaust is rotated a good 5 to 10 degrees off from the left side. If I (we) were interested in the flat stainless tip it wouldn't matter, but I want the angle tip. And I am somewhat anal so I want the very end of that angled tip to be top-dead-center. Even though some people may not notice having them slightly angled but I would. :(

I wonder...... if it would make any sense to order ones without any holes and then you drill them yourself. Then its your own a$$ is they are not top-dead-center. :confused:

Hey, I understand I have OCD and ADHD really bad and I would want it as close to perfect too. I am curious to see if mine are crooked. Although another thing to look at is if they are I have had my boat 4 years and if it has taken me that long to notice, I will train my brain that no body else will either.

The only thing with drilling the holes individually is that the chrome will chip off when you drill them. The holes need to be drilled first and then chrome dipped.

learjet2230
03-25-2010, 05:00 PM
Hey Learjet

Are your factory exhaust tips that you have taken off in this pic the same for the 90's MC.

If they are would you be opposed to sending Teague one of them for a template where we could get the 8 hole pattern on the tips with or without flappers. I am sure that they would send it back to you.

If we have a few guys wanting to buy them and Teague was able to sell 5 or so pairs they may be willing to use the factory piece as a guide.

Mine are all jacked up. Originally they were countersunck screws but someone used interior washers and the holes have pulled...but I can send them. I dont need them back as they are kinda of melted. If someone wants them they can have them. But they should be equally spaced every 45 degrees.

Sodar
03-25-2010, 05:03 PM
Looks good, lear!

learjet2230
03-25-2010, 05:08 PM
The only thing with drilling the holes individually is that the chrome will chip off when you drill them. The holes need to be drilled first and then chrome dipped.

These arent Chrome.....but 316 Stainless Steel...the high dollar offshore boat stuff

Double D...I may have a solution for you......being an aircraft mechanic, we have tons of special tools. Here is my recommendation. 1. Order the flange blank. 2. I will send you a special tool, called a hole finder. 3. Position the tip where you want it and us this tool to pick up the exact existing holes in your boat.

It is dirt simple to use, cheap and I'll give it to ya as long as you pay it forward to whoever gets tips and so on. I will teach you to use it over the phone or take some pics of the process.....let me know!

Double D
03-25-2010, 05:24 PM
These arent Chrome.....but 316 Stainless Steel...the high dollar offshore boat stuff

Double D...I may have a solution for you......being an aircraft mechanic, we have tons of special tools. Here is my recommendation. 1. Order the flange blank. 2. I will send you a special tool, called a hole finder. 3. Position the tip where you want it and us this tool to pick up the exact existing holes in your boat.

It is dirt simple to use, cheap and I'll give it to ya as long as you pay it forward to whoever gets tips and so on. I will teach you to use it over the phone or take some pics of the process.....let me know!

Now there is a thought. I appreciate the offer and will let you know once I figure things out with what I "might" be buying.

Hey, do those holes go all the way through? If so, we could also stick a thin marker, pencil, or something to mark the hole locations from the inside. Or if they don't, shove a black chalk piece in each hole and rub a mark on the blank flange???

But I am also thinking through your original thought of buying the flat pipes with the custom 8-hole pattern in a 6" flange and cutting my own angle. :confused: Being that their stainless and all....

learjet2230
03-25-2010, 05:30 PM
Once you use this hole finder youll laugh at the thought of chalk....if it were me id get a blank 6" flange with the angle cut...it will take 10 minutes to locate the holes....5 to seal (use 3m 5200) and 3.26 minutes to screw it in!!!.....I wont lead a fellow MC'er in the wrong direction.

Double D
03-25-2010, 06:03 PM
Once you use this hole finder youll laugh at the thought of chalk....if it were me id get a blank 6" flange with the angle cut...it will take 10 minutes to locate the holes....5 to seal (use 3m 5200) and 3.26 minutes to screw it in!!!.....I wont lead a fellow MC'er in the wrong direction.

Alright! Sounds good. I just need to find out what I can get manufactured.

learjet2230
03-29-2010, 07:53 PM
Ok fellas...recieved the tips from Teague Custom Marine. Let me tell ya, the do some mighty fine work with that TIG welder. Wish I could run a bead like that. Now these tips I ordered were not custom made for me, but rather another customer. I elected to take them and make them work because the price was right. They are 4" reduced to a 3.5" inside the boat. I want you to look at theses pics and give me your HONEST opinion. I have thick skin so I can take it if ya dont like them. Not meaning to thread jack DoubleD, but hopefully this will help you in your decision. They do first class work. This is coming from someone that used to do antique aircraft restoration and had to be so meticulous in my work for the customer. Again be honest!!

Double D
03-29-2010, 08:10 PM
Ok fellas...recieved the tips from Teague Custom Marine. Let me tell ya, the do some mighty fine work with that TIG welder. Wish I could run a bead like that. Now these tips I ordered were not custom made for me, but rather another customer. I elected to take them and make them work because the price was right. They are 4" reduced to a 3.5" inside the boat. I want you to look at theses pics and give me your HONEST opinion. I have thick skin so I can take it if ya dont like them. Not meaning to thread jack DoubleD, but hopefully this will help you in your decision. They do first class work. This is coming from someone that used to do antique aircraft restoration and had to be so meticulous in my work for the customer. Again be honest!!

Learjet, I think they look great and you did a good job. My only negative is that they are not the angled tip like I am looking to get.

No threadjack here, we all need to know. I did get a custom quote from Teauge Marine for a 3" pipe with a 6" flange just like my drawing. However, is does not include an internal flapper, which is a negative for me. They said if I can get five other people to order the same type of tip then it would be $250 a pair, 3 holes or no holes. I would rather order the 3" pipes with 5" flange and flapper for less money from Hardin.

That being said, your work brings up more questions for me and maybe that I dont want to stay with the 3" pipe and maybe increase that size to 4" to increase the flange size and get a better look.
You had to cut out 1/2" of fiberglass correct?
How did you do that and how did it go?
What did you fill the existing holes with?
How did you install the new screws?

Thanks!!

learjet2230
03-29-2010, 09:20 PM
Learjet, I think they look great and you did a good job. My only negative is that they are not the angled tip like I am looking to get.

No threadjack here, we all need to know. I did get a custom quote from Teauge Marine for a 3" pipe with a 6" flange just like my drawing. However, is does not include an internal flapper, which is a negative for me. They said if I can get five other people to order the same type of tip then it would be $250 a pair, 3 holes or no holes. I would rather order the 3" pipes with 5" flange and flapper for less money from Hardin.

That being said, your work brings up more questions for me and maybe that I dont want to stay with the 3" pipe and maybe increase that size to 4" to increase the flange size and get a better look.
You had to cut out 1/2" of fiberglass correct?
How did you do that and how did it go?
What did you fill the existing holes with?
How did you install the new screws?

Thanks!!
I originally had the plan of cutting an angled tip on it as well but my wife liked it as is so less work for me...
Yes.. I had to cutout 1/2" of glass. I traced around the 4" section with a Sharpie and ended up using a jigsaw with a fine tooth blade. About every inch or so I would cut perpendicular to the outline so it would come out in pieces. If you decide to do this remember it doesn't have to be a perfect circle. I then used a rotary file to smooth and chamfer the edges and hit any high spots until the tip slid in. This literally took a few Captain and cokes for courage and 5 minutes a side!

I havent actually mounted them yet. As far as the old holes I am going to fill them with 3M 5200 Marine Adhesive. I plan on picking up one existing hole and drilling new holes with a #30 (1/8") drill bit. Once that is done I will hit them with a piloted countersink to recess and prevent gelcoat cracking, bed it in 5200 for sealing, and run some staineless "wood" screws of the appropriate size. Of course the tips will be clocked correctly.

Now my problem is I have 3" hose going to a 3.5" reducer. Thought I could stretch it, but aint happenin! Remarkably 3"id hose slips inside this 3.5" reducer pretty snugly. I plan on getting a 3.5" silicone coupler to slide over my Exh hose and on to the tip reducer. Kind of cutting corners but it may work until I can afford some polished stainless straight pipe at almost $35 a foot X ten feet!!....Ouch!!...yes I have no mufflers, love it, no problems, sounds good...Loud pipes save lives!!

Double D
03-29-2010, 09:57 PM
I originally had the plan of cutting an angled tip on it as well but my wife liked it as is so less work for me...
Yes.. I had to cutout 1/2" of glass. I traced around the 4" section with a Sharpie and ended up using a jigsaw with a fine tooth blade. About every inch or so I would cut perpendicular to the outline so it would come out in pieces. If you decide to do this remember it doesn't have to be a perfect circle. I then used a rotary file to smooth and chamfer the edges and hit any high spots until the tip slid in. This literally took a few Captain and cokes for courage and 5 minutes a side!

I havent actually mounted them yet. As far as the old holes I am going to fill them with 3M 5200 Marine Adhesive. I plan on picking up one existing hole and drilling new holes with a #30 (1/8") drill bit. Once that is done I will hit them with a piloted countersink to recess and prevent gelcoat cracking, bed it in 5200 for sealing, and run some staineless "wood" screws of the appropriate size. Of course the tips will be clocked correctly.

Now my problem is I have 3" hose going to a 3.5" reducer. Thought I could stretch it, but aint happenin! Remarkably 3"id hose slips inside this 3.5" reducer pretty snugly. I plan on getting a 3.5" silicone coupler to slide over my Exh hose and on to the tip reducer. Kind of cutting corners but it may work until I can afford some polished stainless straight pipe at almost $35 a foot X ten feet!!....Ouch!!...yes I have no mufflers, love it, no problems, sounds good...Loud pipes save lives!!

Great information. Could be worth going to 3.5" or 4" just for the look as long as I can flare it down to a 3", not 3.5" like you purchased. I was wondering if you actually had 3.5" hose but I guess not. So your going to do a reverse fit where the exhaust hose goes into the tip?

Any opinion on what I should do?? I know I will be calling Hardin and Rex tomorrow...

Kyle
03-30-2010, 04:12 AM
Double D

I have had issues with making the whole straight pipe thing. The ID of our exhaust hose is 2 7/8, I am very curious to see if you can put the hose on to a 3 OD tip as our exhaust hose is very hard to stretch. If it can be done I am very interested in making my back end bling a little more. I think the pipes are cool and unique. I would like to run with a flapper as long as it will not make noise. I dont want it to sound like a flapper on the top of the exhaust stack of a big rig. I am running straight pipe and without a flapper water could force its way the wrong way as I dont have any mufflers that have baffle's in them. If we can get a reasonable price I would be in on a group purchase order.

Kyle
03-30-2010, 04:14 AM
I also need to know how far they stick out from the back of the boat. I have a fold down platform and if they stick out too far the teak could hit them if they were too long.

I like what Learjet did with his but I personally am looking for slash cut or also called angle cut.

Learjet does it make it sound any different with the tips. I know that on a truck they are called echo tips and change the tone a little, Just curious.

I also think that your tips look good better on the late 80's MC.

Double D
03-30-2010, 09:29 AM
I also need to know how far they stick out from the back of the boat. I have a fold down platform and if they stick out too far the teak could hit them if they were too long.

I like what Learjet did with his but I personally am looking for slash cut or also called angle cut.

Learjet does it make it sound any different with the tips. I know that on a truck they are called echo tips and change the tone a little, Just curious.

I also think that your tips look good better on the late 80's MC.

Kyle, The standard angle tips stick out 7" per the units I see on line and the one a drew up. My guess that is a little long for your fold down platform. My platform slides up and out but I am lucky now since I don't have to remove it anymore with the new garage.

Now that I think of it if I hadn't built my new garage there was no way I could have added these tips because how I stored it in the old garage I only had 3" of clearance. :) One more reason I should do it now..

Double D
03-30-2010, 09:31 AM
Double D

I have had issues with making the whole straight pipe thing. The ID of our exhaust hose is 2 7/8, I am very curious to see if you can put the hose on to a 3 OD tip as our exhaust hose is very hard to stretch. If it can be done I am very interested in making my back end bling a little more. I think the pipes are cool and unique. I would like to run with a flapper as long as it will not make noise. I dont want it to sound like a flapper on the top of the exhaust stack of a big rig. I am running straight pipe and without a flapper water could force its way the wrong way as I dont have any mufflers that have baffle's in them. If we can get a reasonable price I would be in on a group purchase order.

Very good question that I can't answer yet. So your stock rubber dealios were not 3" OD?

Jesus_Freak
03-30-2010, 01:50 PM
FYI, I am still interested when the details are worked out. I like Learjet's look just fine, but am not interested in cutting fiberglass. Thanks for the continued discussion.

learjet2230
04-06-2010, 10:53 AM
Got my tips final installed along with the hookup inside...will post pics and update soon!

Double D
04-06-2010, 02:35 PM
Learjet, Looking forward to it.

Well, I just got off the phone with both Rex Marine and Hardin Marine. Here is a summary of my conversations and costs.

Hardin:

Has a 3" pipe with angled tip but the O.D. of the flange is only 4 3/4", not even 5". I would be really concerned my existing holes would be outside this diameter.
They do have a 3.5" pipe but the flange isn't much bigger.
If I buy the 4" angled tip it has a 6.5" flange and I would need to buy a 4" to 3" reducer for added costs.
My cost for (2) 4" stainless angled tips, with internal flappers, and 4/3 reducers is $266 + Shipping.

Rex Marine:

They do not have a 3" or a 3.5" stainless exhaust tip.
Their 4" angled stainless exhaust tip comes with a 6" Dia flange and internal flapper.
My cost for (2) 4" stainless angled tips, with internal flappers, and 4/3 reducer is $270 + shipping

Now, if you remember, I can get custom ones from Teauge Marine that are 3" pipe with a 6" dia flange but, no internal flapper, for $275, or with 5 people it would be $250 each. I am not considering this because I want the flapper to prevent water surges.

I tend to lean towards the 4" pipe now due to cost, flapper, and that Learjet cut out his fiberglass with not too much difficulty.... :) And with the one from Rex having the 6" flange to match what I have (not holes), I'd pay the extra $4.

Sorry JF, this doesn't help you with your "no cutting fiberglass" request.

So now I need to decide if I do this on the boat or do I put duel exhaust on the Avalanche first.... :confused:

Jesus_Freak
04-11-2010, 08:42 AM
Continued thanks LJ and DD for your detailed updates!

Kyle
03-26-2013, 02:08 PM
I still want tips. Did we ever get the angle cut issues resolved? Size? Etc

Double D
03-26-2013, 02:20 PM
I still want tips. Did we ever get the angle cut issues resolved? Size? Etc

Yeah, Learjet never posted pictures.

As for me, I did the Avalanche exhaust and put this on the side burner. Still not sure if I ever plan to proceed but best guess will put me into next year. My 'glam' budget this year is bust... :rolleyes:

Kyle
04-11-2013, 04:28 AM
Ok I installed my new tips bought here from a member selling a few pairs.

The tips were for a V drive so I had to cut off the up pipe and make them fit a DD. It worked perfect and I now have to wait 7 days for the 5200 to cure.

I cut the pipes as mentioned above. Made a reducer, cut the transom to fit the larger pipes, put 5200 in the original screw holes and a bunch around the tip and flange where it goes through the hull. Everything went very very smoothly.

I love them

clrussell
04-11-2013, 07:11 AM
I almost bought those to try on mine! Now I know I should have! Looks awesome

Tapatalk

bturner2
04-11-2013, 07:43 AM
I bought a pair as spares just in case one of mine blows out.

Kyle, How hard was it to get the old ones out? My dealer told me they were really hard to remove and they used a heat gun to soften the sealer then piano wire to cut the sealant.

Dino Don
04-11-2013, 09:02 AM

Kyle, How hard was it to get the old ones out? My dealer told me they were really hard to remove and they used a heat gun to soften the sealer then piano wire to cut the sealant.

Also what about sound or tone?? Any change?

Kyle
04-11-2013, 11:31 AM

Also what about sound or tone?? Any change?

The old '93 factory plastic jobbers were siliconed in with clear regular ole silicon. I thought it was really half ars but then I thought 20 years without leaking......

I took a putty knife and slid it under the edge of the old flange and it came right off without struggle. I was very much thinking it would be a pita but it was not.

Now on the 5200 marine adhesive used now days. Yes you will have a beat down deluxe removing that from anything it touches. I seriously never want to remove the MCOCD 5200 job that I did. I can see it being extremely hard to separate.

Sound wise...... I don't know. I run straight pipes and there is a slight baffle in these tips to act more as a flapper not a muffler. It was loud as I'm running open exhaust but not louder. It was lower toned but sounded the same. I'm guessing the tone was because I went from 3" to 3.5" exhaust.

Hey Bturner. I know someone "RAT" who will beat you down with severe MCOCD to just have 1 of your tips. Mitch has 1 left and he's looking for an extra to complete a pair.

Willski
04-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Good to see this thread, because I need to change mine out. I have the 07 style with the M/C disc in the middle, but it blew off as well as one of the internal baffles. I now have the type with the flap to replace them.

Double D
04-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Ok I installed my new tips bought here from a member selling a few pairs.

The tips were for a V drive so I had to cut off the up pipe and make them fit a DD. It worked perfect and I now have to wait 7 days for the 5200 to cure.

I cut the pipes as mentioned above. Made a reducer, cut the transom to fit the larger pipes, put 5200 in the original screw holes and a bunch around the tip and flange where it goes through the hull. Everything went very very smoothly.

I love them

Looks awesome Kyle!! You know your going to get a call when my pair shows up!!

I almost bought those to try on mine! Now I know I should have! Looks awesome

Tapatalk

Sorry clrussel, they're showing up on my door step any day now!! Yippie!!

The old '93 factory plastic jobbers were siliconed in with clear regular ole silicon. I thought it was really half ars but then I thought 20 years without leaking......

I took a putty knife and slid it under the edge of the old flange and it came right off without struggle. I was very much thinking it would be a pita but it was not.

Now on the 5200 marine adhesive used now days. Yes you will have a beat down deluxe removing that from anything it touches. I seriously never want to remove the MCOCD 5200 job that I did. I can see it being extremely hard to separate.

Sound wise...... I don't know. I run straight pipes and there is a slight baffle in these tips to act more as a flapper not a muffler. It was loud as I'm running open exhaust but not louder. It was lower toned but sounded the same. I'm guessing the tone was because I went from 3" to 3.5" exhaust.

Hey Bturner. I know someone "RAT" who will beat you down with severe MCOCD to just have 1 of your tips. Mitch has 1 left and he's looking for an extra to complete a pair.

Kyle, so you used the 5200 adhesive to mount the new tips? Your not planning to screw them in?

Also, how much glass did you have to cut to get them in? What did you use? Any issues?

Kyle
04-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Looks awesome Kyle!! You know your going to get a call when my pair shows up!!

Kyle, so you used the 5200 adhesive to mount the new tips? Your not planning to screw them in?

Also, how much glass did you have to cut to get them in? What did you use? Any issues?

Yes I used 5200 blue and screws.

Here is what I did.

Cut the angled V drive section off.

The non cut part of the trash section, put it on a piece. Of thick paper and trace out the circle of the 3.5" pipe. Then slide it on the tip. Trace the flange. Cut that out.

Then put it up to the existing hole. I used the outer and lower edge of the factory hole.

You will see what I'm talking about. The speedo bracket for the rubber hose is in the way so you have to center the tips slightly.

Then take a sharpie and make a center hole guide to cut along on both sides. Measure 2x and cut it out with a jig saw.

Then I used a drill with a sanding disc to make the hole slightly bigger to fit the tip. It also makes the hole perfectly round this way. I'll take a pic of the drill disc. You can pick them up at "lowes" ;) or auto zone. I'll take a pic so you can see what I'm talking about.

You are not cutting that much of the boat.

Lastly run the 1/2" drill bit in reverse to countersink the 3 holes. Then take a smaller bit to drill out the new holes. I used the same screws that came off old set up.

I put 5200 in the old holes and smoothed out with a putty knife. Ran a big fat bead around the flange and the pipe that runs through hull. Put a dab in the 3 new holes and put it together.

Very easy and smooth.

It took me a few hours.

clrussell
04-11-2013, 02:04 PM

I'm sure y'all will get better use of em anyway! I can dream though

Tapatalk

Double D
04-11-2013, 03:34 PM
Looky what I found in my garage when I walked out from lunch... :D:D I didn't realize the MC plate was not a flapper, but a welded solid baffle plate. That should not fall off.

Wish I had a few hours in the next few days to make it happen.

Where did you buy the 5200? Any other option worth considering to save on the 7 days?

Sodar
04-11-2013, 03:41 PM
Looky what I found in my garage when I walked out from lunch... :D:D I didn't realize the MC plate was not a flapper, but a welded solid baffle plate. That should not fall off.

Where did you buy the 5200? Any other option worth considering to save on the 7 days?

Home Depot carries 5200.

Even though Kyle is going to jump my butt, I would not use 5200 for anything on my boat. 4200 is more than enough and regular ole' silicone will work fine as well. 5200 is way too permanent for these exhaust tips, considering the center "cover" is notorious for falling off. I've replaced mine twice in 5 years.

Kyle
04-11-2013, 03:43 PM

You can get the blue 5200 at Home Depot or "lowes" in the painting section. A small tube will work. It come I'd caulk gun tube or a smaller squeeze tube.

Kyle
04-11-2013, 03:46 PM
Home Depot carries 5200.

Even though Kyle is going to jump my butt, I would not use 5200 for anything on my boat. 4200 is more than enough and regular ole' silicone will work fine as well. 5200 is way too permanent for these exhaust tips, considering the center "cover" is notorious for falling off. I've replaced mine twice in 5 years.

Your scaring me man. Maybe I should have used 4200

Either will work.

Should I remove them today and put 4200 on instead while I can get them off????

Seriously scared now

Double D
04-11-2013, 03:58 PM
Home Depot carries 5200.

Sodar, how does the center cover come off? Is the chrome MC just attached to a plate that is welded to the main pipe on three posts. Sorry, I only did a 30 second inspection and I'm back at work now.

Sodar
04-11-2013, 04:06 PM
I've never taken a pick of mine, but here is one. The welds just break.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=49380&stc=1&d=1247761852

Double D
04-11-2013, 04:18 PM
I've never taken a pick of mine, but here is one. The welds just break

Hmmm... So the welds can break huh... Anything we can do to make them stronger?

bturner2
04-11-2013, 05:32 PM
That's why I jumped on those puppies when I saw them listed. For that kind of money they can sit on my workbench (or maybe the bar, they are rather pretty) as insurance as you know as long as I have these the old ones won't fail.

SeaCup
04-12-2013, 12:57 AM
Sodar called it correctly, no 5200. Do a little research and you will find a Fast Cure option available for 3M products. Your local West Marine store should have a wide selection of appropriate sealants.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/WestAdvisorView?langId=-1&storeId=11151&catalogId=10001&page=Sealants#.UWeFpd2aK4A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=305QEqXS3_g

My $50 eBay exhaust flanges installed.

ZachDaddy
04-12-2013, 07:01 PM
Wait, wait wait...There is a kit with pop rivets you can order from the dealership. I didn't read all the pages so if I missed the question, I apologize.

I just in the last month call the dealership and asked if the inserts where still available and the answers was yes.

Z

Double D
04-12-2013, 07:33 PM
Wait, wait wait...There is a kit with pop rivets you can order from the dealership. I didn't read all the pages so if I missed the question, I apologize.

I just in the last month call the dealership and asked if the inserts where still available and the answers was yes.

Z

Huh?????????????

Kevin@MWMC
04-13-2013, 04:19 PM
http://www.waterskis.com/253028K-p/replacement_exhaust_tip.htm

Only works for 214V or X14V.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-13-2013, 04:31 PM
http://www.waterskis.com/253028K-p/replacement_exhaust_tip.htm

Only works for 214V or X14V.

Thanks for the expertise. :toast:

Kevin@MWMC
04-13-2013, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the expertise. :toast:

No problem, glad to help out anyway I can!

Double D
04-14-2013, 05:37 PM
Started the process of adding the new exhaust tips and thanks to Kyle for bringing me back on task! Not done yet and their just sitting in place, waiting for parts.

Double D
04-15-2013, 05:51 AM
Here is a stupid short video, for no reason, of my work day yesterday (condensed to under 9 minutes). No real detail, just learning the program...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hbF04OnNZM&

Double D
04-20-2013, 09:18 PM
All done. Curing now. Love them!! Cant wait to get it out!! Pictures dont do it justice since its in the garage and I cant get a "Backside" shot...

Please ignore the bottom of my board... :o:o

SSMoose
04-20-2013, 10:31 PM
I can only say SWEET!:cool:

thatsmrmastercraft
04-20-2013, 11:37 PM
I can only say SWEET!:cool:

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcStzxzuxpgTkiLQm2DSFciOyFD3zu0dU wubYwfgX1QGBS4z3I-i

What he said.

Kyle
04-21-2013, 11:30 PM
Ok I have a sound report.

The baffle makes it slightly quieter.

I am running straight exhaust and it sounded real nice last year. Although it sounded like a Baja running now it is calmed down. I still like it and they look great but the baffles catch water and calm it down a little.

If they mess up or the mc comes off then I'll replace with a tip wothout a baffle and has a flapper. The deep throaty sound should come back with that style. Either way I love these and the price was right.

Mine is still louder than one with mufflers but not as loud as straight with flappers.

All in all I'm very happy still

Double D
05-31-2013, 10:57 PM
First time out with the new exhaust tips. No leaking, sounds great and looks great. Of course with this water its hard to see anything..... :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gvztLy_xfc&