PDA

View Full Version : Thread coming loose

horsinaround
02-27-2010, 07:18 AM
I have read tons of posts about the vinyl issues and problems on the 2000-2002 boats. I am in the process of trying to decide what boat I want to buy. Some have the interiors all cracked up. Others have been redone, others look really good, but have not been redone.
My questions are

1. If I buy a boat with the original interior, low hours, stored inside and the interior looks good, will it go bad in a short perior of time because the problem was rampany with MC in that time frame? Do all the interiors go bad prematurely in this era of a boat? If so, I would lean towards a boat that has had the interior redone, or use this as a bargining chip to get the price reduced.

2. If it has lasted this long without cracking, is it good for the long haul?

3. One of the boats looks really great, but there is one spot on one of the bow seats where the thread has come loose. Is it just a matter of a little more use and the thread in the whole boat lets loose? Here is a picture.

Thanks for your comments and help...

trickskier
02-27-2010, 09:26 AM
I would take it to a marine upholstery shop to see if they can repair it.

JohnE
02-27-2010, 09:51 AM
Tough to say, but I believe that the factory vinyl in the problem years will not last 20 years regardless of how well it is maintained. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a boat from those years, but I would be prepared to redo the upholstery at some point, and factor that cost into my buying decision. And hey if it does last, all the better. Only time will tell

mitch
02-27-2010, 10:43 AM
I just dropped off some seat cushions from my pontoon boat (1999) yesterday to get repaired. Similar thing to your picture. No big deal. BTW my interior in my 2000 205 fell apart and most pieces were replaced. MC did step up 4 me, but that was 5 years ago.... good luck

BriEOD
02-27-2010, 10:53 AM
BTW my interior in my 2000 205 fell apart and most pieces were replaced.

Same here. The vinyl in my 2000 205 was complete garbage and I've had to replace a lot of it.

deereman
02-27-2010, 11:53 AM
Tough to say, but I believe that the factory vinyl in the problem years will not last 20 years regardless of how well it is maintained. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a boat from those years, but I would be prepared to redo the upholstery at some point, and factor that cost into my buying decision. And hey if it does last, all the better. Only time will tell

We had a 1983 Rinker outboard that we sold just this last summer. It was stored inside the boathouse, both summer and winter, and it still had the original upholstery when we sold it. It still looked like it was brand new and it had no rips, tears, fading, etc. I think that if you take care of it, it should last.

Patsfan
02-27-2010, 11:10 PM
Do you think that maybe the vinyl is not the problem and all the needle holes may be?

horsinaround
02-28-2010, 04:51 AM
Do you think that maybe the vinyl is not the problem and all the needle holes may be?

I guess it could be.

Is the vinyl bad in all these 2000-2002 boats and is the thread bad in all these 2000-2002 boats to where one way or the other, you will have to replace the interior prematurely no matter how good you take care of it.

Some owners trash their boats, and the interior is trashed. No surprise there. Others care for their boats extremely well, and the interior goes to pieces.

I have looked at older boats, (1996-1998) and there was no sign of rotten thread, or cracking vinyl.

TX.X-30 fan
02-28-2010, 12:11 PM

Winner Winner labstah dinner......................... Very true and accurate.:D